Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Spring 2014 Banter Thread

jm1220

Guest Pamela

85F. There's a significant difference between 85 and 90. Most of us only average about 15-19 90 degree days per year.

Islip & Upton are only about 82 F.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The difference between 85F and 90F is hardly significant, it's barely discernible.

I think he means statistically, we often count the days of 90 or higher every year but many times it falls just short so you end up with like 20-25 vs say 30-35. A lot of those days are 88-89 or just short.

Guest Pamela

It's a running gag we've had related to his avatar for many years now.  It started during the terrible winter of 1934.

You know Ed, its funny...but all one need do is consult the Biographical Survey: 2006 (the last one they published) to see that everything I said was indeed true.  Though currently out of print...you can probably pick up a copy at the Exchange.   

The 24,084 hour CFS shows a monster getting ready to nail the whole Northeastern corridor. It might be dicey for the coast though, looks like it could be a coastal hugger. :(

18z throw it out 

I really miss tracking storms

Outside of winter and a very rare rogue sandy like storm they're really isnt much to track from NJ-east. Severe storms are all but none existent and once spring closes out widespread dumping rains become alot more sparse. Besides heat waves and garden variety/brief severe cells from may-october they're really isnt anything exciting

Outside of winter and a very rare rogue sandy like storm they're really isnt much to track from NJ-east. Severe storms are all but none existent and once spring closes out widespread dumping rains become alot more sparse. Besides heat waves and garden variety/brief severe cells from may-october they're really isnt anything exciting

Most of us enjoy tracking tropical systems during the summer even if they never directly threaten our backyards.

Agree

The worst part is we get teased with days that look like perfect setups for a decent severe weather event to only have them fizzle out. Either we're missing a trigger and the storms don't form or they die out as the move east or reform and blast monmouth county.

The worst part is we get teased with days that look like perfect setups for a decent severe weather event to only have them fizzle out. Either we're missing a trigger and the storms don't form or they die out as the move east or reform and blast monmouth county.

If this area ever truly saw a severe weather outbreak with tornados, large hail and damaging winds, similar to what occurred in Alabama and Mississippi last week, a majority of people here would crap their pants.

If this area ever truly saw a severe weather outbreak with tornados, large hail and damaging winds, similar to what occurred in Alabama and Mississippi last week, a majority of people here would crap their pants.

Usually when I think severe in this part of the country its small hail and 45-50 mph wind gusts, not truly severe weather or our once a decade derechos. I don't even care if its severe, I just like thunderstorms, especially at night..heavy rain lots of thunder and lightning. So rare these days

It more often than not happens to be meager lapse rates. Last years "epic" severe setup was nill because the lapse rates were very poor and we also had cells pop up ahead the derecho that killed it when it got to NJ. I got some rain and lightning and that was it

Agree, not many people know what to do when an actual tornado is going to bear down on their home. Im surprised when i talk severe weather preparedness how many people say other stuff when how to take cover over what your suppose to do.

Archived