• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2014 Banter Thread

jm1220

They just need to rebuild and it starts with goaltending. They have a solid goaltender in Schneider. The Devils got screwed by Kovalchuck suddenly leaving and it's going to be a gradual process.

I've been lucky enough to witness in person two Stanley Cup victories and the team has 3 cups and 5 trips to the finals in my lifetime. Not too shabby and way more than Ranger fans can say.

They also turned into a super soft team ... long gone are the days of Stevens, Daneyko etc.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great picture!

Thanks. The iPhone 5 panorama setting makes it easy to do. The older photo stitching software

was really hit or miss. The built in camera captures plenty of detail that can be brought out

with some quick adjustments in a basic photo editing program or app.

Guest Pamela

Yeah I remember that... still love hockey but I miss all those tough guys and the rivalries... just not the same now.

I feel considerable sorrow for those who were not alive to experience the NHL in the late 1970's through the early 90's. Never was hockey better.

The NHL was at its best from the end of the last Canadiens dynasty / absorption of the WHA, i.e. circa 1979 until about 1994. I'd say the game peaked in 1985 with Edmonton taking their second Cup and most teams scoring over 300 goals during the season.

The first warning sign that things were headed the wrong way was when a Jean Perron coached bunch of defensive forwards whose offense consisted of Mats Naslund earned a fluke Cup in '86 because an Oilers defenseman famously put the puck in his own net in a game 7 quarterfinal against the Flames.

Next season, teams started to copy the Habs, though Edmonton ultimately prevailed over Philly in the Final. The trade of Coffey, and then Gretzky, (due to financial constraints) dissolved the most entertaining (and possibly greatest) team of all time. Hockey was still good, though the focus was now on Lemieux in Pittsburgh as the Pens earned two Cups in the early 90's. However new teams were being added to the fold as dreaded expansion slowly began to dilute the available talent pool. The Rangers took the Cup in '94, playing reasonably entertaining but disciplined hockey under Keenan, a Bowman disciple. But when New Jersey took the trophy in '95 with a good team that played dump and chase and the trap, the beginning of the end was upon us. The fact that there are some teams out there today that cannot average 2.5 goals per game tells you all you need to know about a once great sport that has devolved into something far less than what it once was...          

Guest Pamela

2 words...Boston Bruins. That's not a finesse team

I *still* haven't gotten over that loss they suffered to the Habs on St Catherine's Street in the 7th game of the '79 semifinals...I remember Cherry writing about it years later..."I died May 15, 1979...two shots killed me...the first, by Lafleur, (to tie the game in the closing minute)....left me mortally wounded...the second, by Lambert (winning the game in OT)...finished me off."

The book was called The Wrath of Grapes, IIRC.

Guest Pamela

Great write up William... Also the game has gotten to soft with all the new rules on physical play and refs handing out misconducts at the slightest hint of trouble.

Much obliged...

Guest Pamela

I've been lucky enough to witness in person two Stanley Cup victories and the team has 3 cups and 5 trips to the finals in my lifetime. Not too shabby and way more than Ranger fans can say.

I have that beat...having seen the Blueshirts take the Cup 4 times...in '28, '33, '40, & '94....and seeing them reach the Finals 4 other times...'29, '50, '72, & '79.

Guest Pamela

They also turned into a super soft team ... long gone are the days of Stevens, Daneyko etc.

I haven't like the Devils since they fired the great Larry Hirsch ("You are listening to NEW JERSEY Devils hockey!") and replaced him with deadly dull Dale Arnold.

after the first miracle on ice in 1960 I played some street hockey with home made nets...I had a stick blade that was so worn out it was about an inch wide...Roller hockey was big then...The Rangers were my favorite team from the 1960's...I also started following the Islanders when they came into being...The greatest hockey team of all time imho...I saw the Rangers beat the Islanders in the playoffs in 1979...In 1980 I was rooting for the Islanders over the Philadelphia bullies...their run of playoff series victories will never be broken...After Bossey retired they weren't the same...Now I don't follow hockey that much...I haven't recovered from the 1995 strike...

I feel considerable sorrow for those who were not alive to experience the NHL in the late 1970's through the early 90's. Never was hockey better.

The NHL was at its best from the end of the last Canadiens dynasty / absorption of the WHA, i.e. circa 1979 until about 1994. I'd say the game peaked in 1985 with Edmonton taking their second Cup and most teams scoring over 300 goals during the season.

The first warning sign that things were headed the wrong way was when a Jean Perron coached bunch of defensive forwards whose offense consisted of Mats Naslund earned a fluke Cup in '86 because an Oilers defenseman famously put the puck in his own net in a game 7 quarterfinal against the Flames.

Next season, teams started to copy the Habs, though Edmonton ultimately prevailed over Philly in the Final. The trade of Coffey, and then Gretzky, (due to financial constraints) dissolved the most entertaining (and possibly greatest) team of all time. Hockey was still good, though the focus was now on Lemieux in Pittsburgh as the Pens earned two Cups in the early 90's. However new teams were being added to the fold as dreaded expansion slowly began to dilute the available talent pool. The Rangers took the Cup in '94, playing reasonably entertaining but disciplined hockey under Keenan, a Bowman disciple. But when New Jersey took the trophy in '95 with a good team that played dump and chase and the trap, the beginning of the end was upon us. The fact that there are some teams out there today that cannot average 2.5 goals per game tells you all you need to know about a once great sport that has devolved into something far less than what it once was...          

you can also say the same about baseball 

Guest Pamela

Very few people here were alive in 1928.

Your Yankees swept the Cardinals that year to get revenge on them for the unexpected loss they pinned on them in 7 games in '26...the year Lazzeri just missed a grand slam in the 7th inning and ole Grover Cleveland Alexander (immortalized by R. Reagan on film) came out of the bullpen to finish the Yanks off late. 

after the first miracle on ice in 1960 I played some street hockey with home made nets...I had a stick blade that was so worn out it was about an inch wide...Roller hockey was big then...The Rangers were my favorite team from the 1960's...I also started following the Islanders when they came into being...The greatest hockey team of all time imho...I saw the Rangers beat the Islanders in the playoffs in 1979...In 1980 I was rooting for the Islanders over the Philadelphia bullies...their run of playoff series victories will never be broken...After Bossey retired they weren't the same...Now I don't follow hockey that much...I haven't recovered from the 1995 strike...

I've been an Islander fan since J.P. Parise scored in overtime to beat the Rangers in 1975 I believe it was. Great memories with the four cups in the early 80's...still an Islander fan but its been hard for quite a while now...big hockey fan, have been a subsciber to "The Hockey News" magazine for 30 years...played alot when I was younger.

Archived