joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2014 Banter Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I can say that we live in a polar climate in January as well.

Our January might be able to pass as a summer month in a polar climate, aside from the higher precipitation, abundant vegetation, shorter day-length (I think?), and lack of permafrost.

Our tropical stint, if you want to call it one, is as authentic as a plastic pink flamingo lawn ornament.  Cheap, plastic and not real. Key West, Fla would be the real deal.  They have our June sun angle the last week of August and right now already.   Our backdoor events are real as can be, only beat by eastern New England in the lower 48.  Florida can not even backdoor at all, in the warm season a cold front does not even exist, front door or backdoor.  Even Italy, or southern Spain has some real palm trees to help them out.   We are stuck with deciduous trees and some conifers mixed... yes, so tropical... :cry::axe::poster_oops::baby::weep:.

Plastic palm trees drive me crazy, if they can't grow for real here, please do not bother at all.  It just shows how fake our "tropical" is too.

.. and sometimes plenty of this in the cold season, :snowwindow::shiver: .

If one can build this :snowman: , it might be continental warm climate with warm to hot summer, but does not deserve tropical designation. 

If somebody can freeze their toilet bowl water by leaving the bathroom window open all winter night, that is not tropical.

The Worcester, MA soda company, "Polar" did smart marketing selling their sodas to NY and LI from New England markets.  We are polar enough 3-4 months of the year too.  A polar bear logo does not feel so out of place after this last harsh winter.

The only way to make it tropical here is to jump on a plane or a cruise ship, and be on a 150 to 210 degree compass heading.

As one advertisement on the still cold LIRR platform says, "You can't fake real".  My point exactly about this tropical topic.

He didn't mean that seriously. But the feuding/bickering has always been ridiculous on here and probably always will be. I guess at least now it isn't spilling into all the other threads since winter's over.

He didn't even get a warning yet I got a warning the other day for talking about something off topic in the banter thread.

Just another example of why this board has become atrocious.

People we are a mid latitude location. We experience tropical like conditions in summer and polar like conditions in winter. Notice I didn't say Arctic.

This summer when the NAO finally flips and we avoid any big heat waves people will be banging a different drum. Then next winter we get to listen to people :cry: when we're stuck in the 40's and 50's all season.

Yup they are, and mods have way too much power on this board.

I own a very similar site to this that uses the same software and you can very easily limit what a mod is capable of doing.

The board is so large that mods have to be given a lot of power. Three or four admins can't police effectively a forum with thousands of members that spans nationwide.

He didn't mean that seriously. But the feuding/bickering has always been ridiculous on here and probably always will be. I guess at least now it isn't spilling into all the other threads since winter's over.

If anyone would have cared to read how that exchange continued, they would have known that.  People on here are unusually chippy for having gone through one of the better winters in the past 20 years.  Everyone relax and have a drink.

The board is so large that mods have to be given a lot of power. Three or four admins can't police effectively a forum with thousands of members that spans nationwide.

In my opinion, there needs to be more moderators to balance out the power. The favoritism and political bias has got to go. Moderators cannot enforce rules for some members and not for others. Many people have gotten warnings in this banter thread for being off topic, yet others continue to be off topic, offensive, racist, and other things as well. We all know which posters are liked by the moderators and those who are not.

In my opinion, there needs to be more moderators to balance out the power. The favoritism and political bias has got to go. Moderators cannot enforce rules for some members and not for others. Many people have gotten warnings in this banter thread for being off topic, yet others continue to be off topic, offensive, racist, and other things as well. We all know which posters are liked by the moderators and those who are not.

Disagree.  This is not a democracy and we are under no obligation to give an equal voice to idiots.

It's not that hard for admins to set guidelines to operate by and follow. Personal bias shouldn't be tolerated and it shouldn't be up to the discretion of a moderator to decide what is a warning warranted offense and what isn't. Sickman warned me but I guarantee that Earthlight would have just deleted the posts and moved on.

Disagree.  This is not a democracy and we are under no obligation to give an equal voice to idiots.

Herein lies the problem. What makes you think you can do whatever you please without the consideration of others? That is just being a bully. Calling someone an idiot is your personal opinion, not a fact. Just because you feel someone post something that you don't agree with,or you do not share the same beliefs with does not mean they are an idiot or the content is inappropriate.

It's not that hard for admins to set guidelines to operate by and follow. Personal bias shouldn't be tolerated and it shouldn't be up to the discretion of a moderator to decide what is a warning warranted offense and what isn't. Sickman warned me but I guarantee that Earthlight would have just deleted the posts and moved on.

Herein lies the problem. What makes you think you can do whatever you please without the consideration of others? That is just being a bully. Calling someone an idiot is your personal opinion, not a fact. Just because you feel someone post something that you don't agree with,or you do not share the same beliefs with does not mean they are an idiot or the content is inappropriate.

This is a message board, not a town or a physical community. People are free to pick up and click onto another website if they don't like the moderation here. Admins are free to be "bullies" if they want. If AmericanWX becomes an echo chamber of just the admins/mods and their clique, that will be their problem.

Trust me, I've seen some of the posts from some of those crying foul now over the last few months and can't blame mods for throwing out warnings at all. Some of the threads this winter were just unreadable, and the feuding and carrying on that happens here is beyond tiring to wade through.

I followed closely here all winter. I think you have some true points. Most of the problems that arise in this forum are from one or maybe two posters. I don't need to name, people know who they are. I think when its so clear that all the problems on here are mainly being caused by one person, its time to take action. I don't think warning others when they have been provoked is really fair.

Obviously I doubt this is going to change. Obviously some posters are favored over others, and no matter what they say or do, they will never have to face consequences. Its not fair, but it is what it is.

I think everyone would be better off if a set guideline of rules was followed by everyone, and each case wasn't handled on a discretionary manner

Archived