joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
End of Winter & Early Spring General Obs + Banter

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mods, be consistent, if you can't be consistent (I know Will isn't here a lot now and that hurts) maybe bring on some additional mods.

it isn't right that a thread goes all over the place for a day or two and an enthusiastic post gets a slap.  I'm sure you can have plenty of volunteers if asked.  The board is getting bigger, the volume of posts continues to grow and there's been a big influx of "new" members as of late. 

JMHO  it may be time for some additional worker bees as the site continues to grow and existing mods aren't here as much/have lives.

wasnt there suppossed to be a snowstorm in ncne and nne today?

It was a little late but we got 4-6" out of it once upslope flow hit last night.

Man these past three weeks have been incredible with near record cold and above normal snow up here after a shaft for Dec/Jan. Should hit near 90" on the ground at the mountain in this afternoon's COOP report, with 42" depth at the base. 68" of snowfall in 3 weeks is making up for some lost time in the middle of winter.

It would be an interesting journey should this thing become more impacting ...  

But, personally I hope it snows ... nowhere.  I have a lot of summer activities and hobbies that I'd like to start planning for, and a big 20" force-feeding of winter really sets a barrier in route to those aspirations.

Be that as it may, interesting meteorology has it's place, too, and I suppose if I were to look out the window Wednesday morning to a model bust west and whiteout snows, I probably would be jaw agape in awe.  

One aspect that I was just ruminating over is how the lawns were green, the early floral types were in full bloom, at this same time of year, back in 2011.  Yet now, you peer out across the landscape, and even the typically impatient red-maples have almost no sign of swelling buds. 

I suspect that changes and we see some bud bursting take place pretty fast by the end of the next 10 days.  For about a 5 day window, there is a teleconnector suggestion for a real springy warm up.  It may mean just normal for us, but normal at this time of year brings night time lows above freezing and high toward the middle 50s, and that's just about what is offered up by the temp/mean of the operationals; thus, apparently agreeing with that teleconnector spread.

However, after that, things may complicate with a bit of a temperature recession in April... tentative for the time being, but the PNA going positive with a NAO going negative is not a general canvas that sees warm paints applied.

It would be an interesting journey should this thing become more impacting ...

But, personally I hope it snows ... nowhere. I have a lot of summer activities and hobbies that I'd like to start planning for, and a big 20" force-feeding of winter really sets a barrier in route to those aspirations.

Be that as it may, interesting meteorology has it's place, too, and I suppose if I were to look out the window Wednesday morning to a model bust west and whiteout snows, I probably would be jaw agape in awe.

One aspect that I was just ruminating over is how the lawns were green, the early floral types were in full bloom, at this same time of year, back in 2011. Yet now, you peer out across the landscape, and even the typically impatient red-maples have almost no sign of swelling buds.

You checked out of winter two weeks ago. Just been cold and crappy most of the time since then.

Mods, be consistent, if you can't be consistent (I know Will isn't here a lot now and that hurts) maybe bring on some additional mods.

it isn't right that a thread goes all over the place for a day or two and an enthusiastic post gets a slap.  I'm sure you can have plenty of volunteers if asked.  The board is getting bigger, the volume of posts continues to grow and there's been a big influx of "new" members as of late. 

JMHO  it may be time for some additional worker bees as the site continues to grow and existing mods aren't here as much/have lives.

Moderators have no control over who can/cannot be mods.  We can only recommend new ones if we feel more are necessary.  The stuff that has occurred as of late has happened overnight when we(Mods) are sleeping.  We try to be consistent.  We don't always catch everything.  That is why we need the members to follow the forum rules and not their own and also for the "report" function to be used.

You checked out of winter two weeks ago. Just been cold and crappy most of the time since then.

Actually ...truth be told I start doing so every year in mid February, when the sun's steadily brightening irradiance triggers reminiscence for the warmer months.   But I can swing the pendulum back pretty fast when a protracted winter finish might serve up a bomb. 

This thing mid week is pretty much a prick tease at the moment, but we'll see.

Actually ...truth be told I start doing so every year in mid February, when the sun's steadily brightening irradiance triggers reminiscence for the warmer months. But I can swing the pendulum back pretty fast when a protracted winter finish might serve up a bomb.

This thing mid week is pretty much a prick tease at the moment, but we'll see.

Yes it certainly is

HA.

25-30" of snow up here. Looks and feels like 1/23 not 3/23. 28F with 2' of snow OTG.

There is a pretty crazy amount of snow on the ground...still a solid 24-27" in my yard at 750ft and 42" on the ground up the road outside my office at 1,500ft.  And it ain't fluff.  That event earlier this month that brought 14-15" of snow was a great storm, but it was the fact that it brought 1.5-1.6" of QPF to the pack that really made a difference.  The bottom 4-6" is rock solid ice (like clear ice from the January rainstorms) so I have a feeling its going to take a little while to fully melt this out.

Does anyone know if Toronto Blizzard was banned? I don't follow him on Twitter so can't see his tweets but I've had several folks say he's attacked a few members of our forum on Twitter and don't recall seeing him on here at all anymore

Yes he is banned.

Archived