joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/18/14 Clipper OBS Thread

dryslot

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well now many of the people in CT valley of MA and into SNH can stop whining. The winter has been spreading the love. Lil Debbie is now Lil weenie.

North of Springfield the majority of the valley got 1-2" on a 4-6" forecast.  It's true there have been events that have done relatively well this winter, but I wouldn't hold this event up.   I don't blame shadowing, them's just the breaks of the surface track and banding.

MBY was extremely lucky to get in on the westernmost edge of the band, still hoping to see totals from Monson and Brimfield.

We'll be saving this data and revisiting at the office.

Yeah post some stuff if you can. I wish I looked more up there..but the mid levels were awesome there.

I have some stuff here. You can see the theta-e plume right up into NH. Notice the 925 and 850 convergence with 40-50ktt winds suddenly stopping in srn and SE NH.  You can see 700mb winds trying to converge with SW winds in VT and winds trying to go S in SE  NH. Also that's a great s/w look at 500mb. GFS was probably a little too far SE with the deep layer lift, but you can surmise how it could be further NW.

post-33-0-37456000-1392772395_thumb.gif

post-33-0-72090900-1392772407_thumb.gif

post-33-0-71527000-1392772427_thumb.gif

post-33-0-58927800-1392772441_thumb.gif

post-33-0-49495500-1392772459_thumb.gif

post-33-0-25325700-1392772493_thumb.gif

Scooter or Will?

Just curious...

I'd have to look back at radar, but I know they were snowing sooner than you as well...just to your north. I'd also have to look at radar to see any discernible differences. I know it was favored more NE from you...but I don't remember radar looking bad for you. I do remember the band just to your NW that nailed ASH.

I did notice the echoes were not very smooth here probably owing to the convective nature of the bands. Further north..you lost the true instability, but then translate to a more consistent frontogenic forcing kind of deal.

What caused me to only come up with 6"?

Sports like Westford, and Acton had 9"....it wasn't the ocean.

I was swamped at work, so couldn't pay close attention, but I can see why area n of me got more...why west??

2 things

1. the precip broke out steadier and heavier for like an hour or two from 495 W and N and sort of trained the same areas before areas SE got in on it as it overspread E mass

2. the qpf broke up a bit in the pm in spots over you and esp se for a bit. it occured the same time that  byt not directly related  the giant lift that was over like Franklin to TAN and PYM sort of died out as it reached say Sudbury to milton to Scooter a archive or radar loop will show this well. radar started showing holes of sortes in mod-hvy preicp SE of 495 for a bit...

the second reason is why areas in bristol county near tan and interior pym county did better than N of bos....winchester...stoneham...wakefield ....that weenie band just weakened for the fun of it.

is there a thread for tommorrow's "rainer"

18z nam look'd good for some dynamic cooling 18z to 21z with a qpf thump in a half....critical thicknesses didn't look that high ...esp above the pike maybe near route 2 like hubbdave...orh wx man....guy in sterling....just saying....worth watching....could see a flip  to paste there.

http://climate.cod.edu/flanis/model/fsound/index.php?type=18|NAM|US|sfc|prec|27|*231,145*|false

i could tell you Winchester, MA def looks high...or let me put it this way they didn't get 6.8 in winchester nope didn't happen

Woburn has 4".  Wakefield 4-4.5"  both woburn and wakefield stayed all snow.

Latest snow core...

6.3" new

0.21" liquid

30:1 ratio...lol. This is the air that PF and jspin get via upslope that vaporizes in half within hours.

Grand total is 12.6" new with 0.55" liquid so the QPF wasn't far off. Depth is 35".

21.9F with -SN continuing.

pretty sure works 3.5 was like 6-1

Had the same .55" of liquid but only 4" of PASTE (snow, sleet, graupel).  Heaviest 4 inches I've ever shoveled.

I'm neither, but I'm going to say that the mid levels closing off where they did favored the FIT-CON-DAW-LWM area for heaviest snow.

I'd have to look back at radar, but I know they were snowing sooner than you as well...just to your north. I'd also have to look at radar to see any discernible differences. I know it was favored more NE from you...but I don't remember radar looking bad for you. I do remember the band just to your NW that nailed ASH.

I did notice the echoes were not very smooth here probably owing to the convective nature of the bands. Further north..you lost the true instability, but then translate to a more consistent frontogenic forcing kind of deal.

Thanx a lot.

Yea, I knew that  mid levels were more favorable to my n and ne, but I was surprise that just to my west did significantly better, as well.

No complaints....awesome season.

Had the same .55" of liquid but only 4" of PASTE (snow, sleet, graupel). Heaviest 4 inches I've ever shoveled.

not bad here, more sugar, Garth said it was powder in Brooklyn, looks like the last inch was cake here. I shoveled off the shed tonight, with roof blowoff and being in the shade solid 24 on it, heavy as a mofo . This is one solid pack, can see what's going to happen, it's going to sponge up the rain then hard freeze up. Lol going to be a long run of coverage.

North of Springfield the majority of the valley got 1-2" on a 4-6" forecast.  It's true there have been events that have done relatively well this winter, but I wouldn't hold this event up.   I don't blame shadowing, them's just the breaks of the surface track and banding.

MBY was extremely lucky to get in on the westernmost edge of the band, still hoping to see totals from Monson and Brimfield.

BOX was still going 6-8" up here as late as 9am.

It was a pretty big bust for all of Berkshires, E NY and CT Valley N of Springfield.

Archived