joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/18/14 Clipper OBS Thread

dryslot

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you took the nose of the theta-e 850 tongue like Chris showed, combine with max 850-500vvs and good ratios. 12" was easily attainable. Perfect area for it to occur in NH deep in the colder air. Was not really a surprise to be honest up there. QPF queens might not see it...but all the factors lined up there.

If you took the nose of the theta-e 850 tongue like Chris showed, combine with max 850-500vvs and good ratios. 12" was easily attainable. Perfect area for it to occur in NH deep in the colder air. Was not really a surprise to be honest up there. QPF queens might not see it...but all the factors lined up there.

I will say the theta-e axis really showed the NH areas well. I am surprised that 10+ totals will be so widespread up here. I thought duration would limit things. Of course we knew that convection would play a role, and did it ever.

Definitely some vertical growth (and not just in the clouds) going on in NH around the time of those ridiculous hourly rates.

post-44-0-78393900-1392764165_thumb.jpg

Yeah...not really a surprise in hindsight, but it's tough to go 20:1 with 0.50-0.75" of liquid.

I will say the theta-e axis really showed the NH areas well. I am surprised that 10+ totals will be so widespread up here. I thought duration would limit things. Of course we knew that convection would play a role, and did it ever.

Definitely some vertical growth (and not just in the clouds) going on in NH around the time of those ridiculous hourly rates.

attachicon.gifvis.jpg

Well what I mean is when you combine all those factors..it doesn't really strike you as surprising...know what I mean? The instability in the DGZ certainly helped I bet.

Yeah...not really a surprise in hindsight, but it's tough to go 20:1 with 0.50-0.75" of liquid.

You know when you think about it, the soundings today were probably cooler than -6 C right up through H7. That's basically about a 300 mb deep DGZ when you factor in salt nucleation. Hindsight is 20/20, but that is definitely something I overlooked.

Well what I mean is when you combine all those factors..it doesn't really strike you as surprising...know what I mean? The instability in the DGZ certainly helped I bet.

Oh I agree, I'm not surprised at all it happened the way it did. It's tough to go so far out on a limb and forecast conditions quite like this of course. Ha.

Right...but I mean it did look like a fluff bomb there.

I was leaning 4-7"/5-8" with 15:1 and about 0.40"-0.50" of liquid. I was worried about it getting it's act together a hair too late for mby and as it turns out I was just on the edge. Fun little storm. I can't wait to snowblow it.

I was leaning 4-7"/5-8" with 15:1 and about 0.40"-0.50" of liquid. I was worried about it getting it's act together a hair too late for mby and as it turns out I was just on the edge. Fun little storm. I can't wait to snowblow it.

I think you were right in the deformation area so you maxed out. That would explain it I think...basically everything available to force snow was over you area and down to MHT. 

Archived