joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the 6:00 news, the weathergal on WNCN showed us just East of Raleigh getting 1.2" of snow - but emphasized the uncertainty of the storm.

Meanwhile, I've seen a ring around the moon 2 nights in a row. That's good for like a foot or more, correct? And seriously -  what's with the squirrels eating so many pine cones this year? Never seen them strip the pines of them like they've been doing the last few months.

I did do Wx Challenge my sophomore year, but Dr. Lackmann ran a forecast challenge for just the MEA 214 class. We forecasted for RDU twice per week, IIRC, forecasting the high, low, and precipitation, IIRC. It was a lot of fun. A lot of the class didn't take it too seriously, but quite a few of us did and it was fun until the end. I ended up just behind Dr. Lackmann, but ahead of the rest of the class, so I got my grade bumped up to A+. :) I realized the NAM and GFS MOS does a pretty good job, too. I think the MOS beat 2/3rds of the class. :yikes:

I used the MOS a lot and made adjustments based on the typical MOS biases (MOS is usually too low on sunny days, too high on cloudy days, etc.).

It's a tough job market out there. Good luck! :)

Man that sounds awesome. Nothing like that so far. I've used MOS before for Facebook posts so it's nice.

I was at a frozen yogurt place with my sister when weather came up. The guy behind the counter said I wouldn't get a job in the field because I wasn't a blonde girl with "features". I've heard it's a tough job market but I can't be that tough! Haha

Haha, not naive at all. I know there are easy classes, every student on campus knows the easiest degrees and GPA boosting classes. There is a difference however to making academic exceptions for athletes that ant read past a 6th grade level and having classes for one student that don't meet, where no professor contact even happens. Again, I'd be embarrassed and want reform if it was a place I held a degree from as it devalues mine in return. I mean State took imitative and death-penaltied itself, along with a nod of approval from the UNC-system BOG and ACC back in 1990, based on ludicrous rumors and players selling extra tickets and their shoes. But yea, I'm naive. Anyway, I hope you get 6" from this storm then come Summer I'll come show you how to play basketball :P

Non-athletes took that class, too. That wasn't just for athletes. That was about the professor trying to not do his job and get paid still. And the reading thing is crap. That was from one person who has a vendetta against college athletics and wants 15 minutes of fame, using bogus research, and won't even present her data she used. For some reason State fans seem more interested in UNC than their own program.

Non-athletes took that class, too. That wasn't just for athletes. That was about the professor trying to not do his job and get paid still. And the reading thing is crap. That was from one person who has a vendetta against college athletics and wants 15 minutes of fame, using bogus research, and won't even present her data she used. For some reason State fans seem more interested in UNC than their own program.

Not this one, I won't lie, I just like busting your chops and that was low-hanging fruit :D. But I'm done, time to watch the 0z model runs and you should too,! Everyone looks forward to your Storm-thread regurgitation here. Except ncweather. And packbacker. And maybe a few others.

The first part is sn but the heavier stuff looks like a lot of ip/zr.

I don't know why my post was moved to the banter thread. I don't have access to that model data, so I was asking someone who did. It seems pretty relevant for storm discussion and in line with what other people have been posting.

Brad Panovich is really playing this threat down and even mentions the 2 to 4 inches in the Charlotte area that he thinks will occur will also be reduced by the relatively warm ground temps in the upper 40s

I think Brad is one of the best mets around this area and is usually spot on. I'm just hoping he is wrong this time. I would love to get a good 5-6 and call it a day honestly in this area. 

It's not like I was wrong. Actually correct.

Clearly you have trouble in grammar with N and Kn words if you spelt Weather nerd like weather Knerd!

:)

It's a spelling from The Flying Saucer bar. I'm a "Beer Knurd" there, so yea, that's where it came from. Ready for this rain storm you are calling for us, my truck could use a good downpour on it!

Brad Panovich's Professional Opinion:

Brad Panovich (@wxbrad)

2/9/14, 19:40

2-4" snow/sleet with 0.15" ice & some rain around .15-.25". If we bust it would be not enough ice more than snow

Brad is well respected. Does not appear that his thoughts on this one are getting much consideration on our board for this event.

I think his comment is for the CLT area

Do expectations need to be reeled in a bit?

This is an unprecedented event. Shouldn't we have unprecedented expectations?  :D

Per NOOA.GOV for Central NC snow will be little to no accumulation. Per WRAL up to 3 inches. This will not be a big storm for central NC by any means.

The NWS forecasts are still conservative at this point (for good reason).

If you want to get hyped up, just follow the posts here. The official forecasts will come in to line if it is still showing up tomorrow.

Archived