• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

Hmm...On FB Larry Cosgrove is saying that it will be a "TOTAL ICE FEST" for the Carolinas. He has ice in the Western Piedmont and shows snow in the higher elevations (mountains). I do not buy that solution myself, based on what I am seeing, the forecast from you all and of course NWS-GSP always has a great handle on the rain/snow line...

I'm gonna have to call him out again. Maybe this time he'll wish a foot of snow on me instead of an inch of ice.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats what I don't understand.

Every time we have a winter storm the News crews are reporting " the snow shovels and sleds are gone" yada yada yada.

I moved here 16 years ago and invested in a snow shovel and still have the same shovel. I know we have a hard time getting a good thumping in the SE but why in the world does all the snow shovels disappear every time we get a storm?

A friend shared a photo of snow shovels for sale at Walmart back before the January storm... ALL of the shovels looked obviously used, with dirt and scratches on the edges. Maybe people use them, then return them? Was a funny picture to see!

NWS mentioned that we may see a frozen mix Thursday morning! Most likely sleet!

.THERE A SLIGHT

CHANCE OF SOME BRIEF MIXED FROZEN PRECIP OVER OUR FAR NRN ZONES

EARLY THU MORNING BUT NO ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED AS SFC TEMPS WILL

BE ABOVE FREEZING.

it's official... if there is ice in waycross georgia, hell has frozen over. :)

Thats what I don't understand.

Every time we have a winter storm the News crews are reporting " the snow shovels and sleds are gone" yada yada yada.

I moved here 16 years ago and invested in a snow shovel and still have the same shovel. I know we have a hard time getting a good thumping in the SE but why in the world does all the snow shovels disappear every time we get a storm?

Does people not try to conserve thier money?

Ah snow is coming got to buy a new shovel... few days later I don't need this any more-trash. Same way with the sleds?!?

I actually don't think we've even ever used our snow shovel to shovel snow. It's great for turning our compost pile though! As for sleds, we've had the same sleds for 10+ years.

Five years ago, I did a winter weather project with one of my Profs.  We looked at almost 50 years worth of upper air soundings

and plotted partial thicknesses in conjunction with frozen precipitation events.  I will have to dig out my data to see how this storm measures up.

If I drove to Wilmington tomorrow, when do you think I could safely drive back to Charlotte? Assuming I would finish what I needed to do by Wednesday noon?

After the storm is over! Duh.

I was actually very serious. A bit of a work crisis has arisen and I need to go be in Wilmington Wednesday morning, but don't want to get stuck there. Not sure about timing along the 74 corridor, and if I might be able to get home if I left Wilmington at noon.

Ok, who's ready for the big east shift? Who's with me?

I'm with ya!

But just in case, I just got back in from working on my generator.  It hasn't been started in a while and of course I ran into problems.  Will have to get a float for the carburetor tomorrow.  Better safe than sorry!

Ok, mixed results, as expected. Let's get this done! How sweet would it be for that NAM snowfall map from the other day to verify?

RDU, I have a generator and have never been able to start it. One of these days, I'll have to get someone to show me how to fix it. Or maybe I'll just take it to a shop. :)

hey guys im in Columbia sc and surrounded by several large oak trees.  are these trees as succeptible to falling as a result of freezing rain as pine trees?  haven't experienced a severe ice storm in a while and trying to determine if I should leave.

thanks!

Not a big shift east maybe more like a wobble. Anything that will make it a foot plus here. Don't remember anything over a foot for mby. Even 2000.

Had plently of 9-11.5" snows but nothing over. I personally wouldn't mind anywhere from 12-18"

But wtf am I talking about... I'm being too optimistic. Realisitically I expect maybe 3-6" tops.

I still have trouble believing a Miller A will produce widespread ZR across central NC.

Yeah I do too. Just don't the zr threat too high with this. 

You can already see through 18 hours the NAM is going to be west of the 18z run.  These 0z runs the past couple of nights have been brutal for us, all indications is the Euro is king and rest of the models are going to follow.

You can already see through 18 hours the NAM is going to be west of the 18z run.  These 0z runs the past couple of nights have been brutal for us, all indications is the Euro is king and rest of the models are going to follow.

It's never east with a big storm. Never. At this point, if it's going to go west, just go far enough to be rain.

Ok, mixed results, as expected. Let's get this done! How sweet would it be for that NAM snowfall map from the other day to verify?

RDU, I have a generator and have never been able to start it. One of these days, I'll have to get someone to show me how to fix it. Or maybe I'll just take it to a shop. :)

Was it used when you got it?

Archived