Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically it falls under a WSWarning. Wording can be added to include Heavy snow.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/winter/resources/wording.pdf

When did the NWS offices stop issuing heavy snow warnings, snow advisories, and snow and blowing snow advisories? I remember being under all at some point when I lived up north.

Wanted to post this in forecast but it's too "my backyard," I think, so I'm putting it here and hoping Candyman sees it:

Here's my precipitation type map... I'm a little nervous about the southern side of the Freezing Rain area, but the rest looks good.

The dark blue colors are the mainly snow areas that could see 6-12" with lower totals in NE Alabama and NW GA (closer to 3-6" of all snow). The light blue is where it's going to be a snow/sleet mix that could accumulate to 3-6" combined. The freezing rain is going to be bad, especially in the areas I have highlighted in pink. We could see as much as .75", maybe 1" in isolated spots, of ice; most, however, see closer to 0.5". The green is rain, obviously, but I'm unsure about how far southwest the freezing line goes, hence why the pink is "feathered" or blurred more than the other colors.

attachicon.gif FEB 12-13 Winter Precip Chances.png

Let the critiques rip! LOL!

No criticism, just a question: can you give an educated guess about what's going to happen in KAGS? I don't know whether I should be nervous about a pretty bad ice event or petrified at the possibility of a truly devastating ice storm (the 1" you speculate on). I ask because you HAVE been paying attention to the southern edge and the ZR. Our QPF has been huge on the models for days. Everyone's talking snow totals but if we lose here we could lose big, real danger out there.

Not to go all Wilkesbro, but I saw a lot of blackbirds dining together on the way in to work this morning, fwiw.....

I filled up my bird feeder the day before it snowed 2 weeks ago, it usually takes them a month or so to empty it out. Last night there was 1/3 left in the feeder and this morning it was gone. I filled it up again, now it's down about 1/4  ;)  

Wanted to post this in forecast but it's too "my backyard," I think, so I'm putting it here and hoping Candyman sees it:

No criticism, just a question: can you give an educated guess about what's going to happen in KAGS? I don't know whether I should be nervous about a pretty bad ice event or petrified at the possibility of a truly devastating ice storm (the 1" you speculate on). I ask because you HAVE been paying attention to the southern edge and the ZR. Our QPF has been huge on the models for days. Everyone's talking snow totals but if we lose here we could lose big, real danger out there.

I don't have a red tag, but I'd prepare for a pretty nasty ice storm that has the potential to be truly devastating  ;) 

wow there are like 20-25 robins in my backyard right now feeding... I use to think people who said the animals know something is coming was total bologna but I have never even seen close to that many in one spot. I have seen like  before maybe lol. Maybe there is something to this.

Edit: okay I tried counting and there were 30-35, good lord lol

I filled up my bird feeder the day before it snowed 2 weeks ago, it usually takes them a month or so to empty it out. Last night there was 1/3 left in the feeder and this morning it was gone. I filled it up again, now it's down about 1/4   ;)

sounds like a new weather model in the making...........................the GFbirdSh*T

WxBrad just upped his totals, should make everyone happy now.  Has GSO jackpotting, it's been in the jackpot zone for like 3 days now and hasn't waffled, really impressive, slam dunk now event for them.

Not for my area Surry County .Still have that V,it isn't for victory either, that nobody else is showing.

Euro ENS mean has following precip totals, crazy, it's really hard to get that much precip out of storm, find it hard to believe, would expect these to drop as we get closer, anything over an 1" QPF would be a lot.

RDU - 1.8"

GSO - 1.5"

CLT - 1.6"

Mt Airy - 1.2"

HKY - 1.5"

AVL - 1.6"

Euro ENS mean has following precip totals, crazy, it's really hard to get that much precip out of storm, find it hard to believe.

RDU - 1.8"

GSO - 1.5"

CLT - 1.6"

Mt Airy - 1.2"

HKY - 1.5"

AVL - 1.6"

While probably overdone, I think widespread 1-1.25" is a near lock now.

Euro ENS mean has following precip totals, crazy, it's really hard to get that much precip out of storm, find it hard to believe, would expect these to drop as we get closer, anything over an 1" QPF would be a lot.

RDU - 1.8"

GSO - 1.5"

CLT - 1.6"

Mt Airy - 1.2"

HKY - 1.5"

AVL - 1.6"

We have had some very high QPF storms this fall and winter, finally got one to hook up with the cold!!

Archived