Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well whatever the NWS uses is going to be public, unless it's classified.  No reason to classify something just because people might think they're getting a lot of snow. 

But without it, would there really not be a frenzy?  Some people are looking at huge snow amounts and parts of inland SC and NC are looking at the potential for damage similar to what their areas saw with Hurricanes Hugo and Fran. 

It's dangerous and it's better to be overprepared than underprepared.

Yes - but the map in question showed Atlanta getting 1-2 feet of snow.  Distributed to people who aren't even hobbyists, it went viral and people took it seriously. :rolleyes:

Yes - but the map in question showed Atlanta getting 1-2 feet of snow.  Distributed to people who aren't even hobbyists, it went viral and people took it seriously. :rolleyes:

People on Facebook believe that if you share a picture of Bill Gates, he'll send them a check for $5,000.

I had to run a few errands  today and it was absolutely insane at the stores. Entire parking lots were filled up at kroger, walmart, and publix. I had to walk a damn mile just to get into each store. this was right before noon when I got there and it took 2 hours to do something that shouldn't have took but a few minutes. I imagine it's probably even worse now. thank god I got it over with

I can only imagine that would be the case locally here, since the icestorm aspect in this region and the now ice storm warnings for inland coastal counties of SC was a bit more short fused compared to the 1/29 storm.  I'm sure are catching many that are not glued to the boards or enthusiasts like us or just not weather savvy/informed are now in a frenzy getting supplies now.   I can say this that all eyes will be on the Southeast for this winter storm and how this all plays out, but it's likely going to be one remembered for generations.   

Anyone who tells you with any confidence that they can predict currently the difference 10 miles will make is a loon.

Here in the western piedmont, ten to fifteen miles makes a huge difference.   I live between Lincolnton and Hickory, and any number of times I have seen a difference between my home and Lincolnton of as much as 3 to 5 inches of snow.  It's almost exactly ten miles.  So, yes, one can make that call with some degree of success; especially with regard to temperature.  Obviously the storm track may be an entirely different matter

I still have a worry the sleet line is going to creep back in to the forecast tomorrow morning.  It's SO close to Charlotte.  VERY happy though the NWS is drawing the line SE of CLT.  They must believe too the track of the storm is going to be offshore at just the right distance. 

I'll fight for it every minute though, it's been 10 years this month since we've had a 4+ inch snowstorm.  A decade!! As Rafeiki said....it is time. 

Meanwhile at Georgia Tech I've overheard at least 3 people talking excitedly about how the European weather model says we're going to get a foot of snow. I guess that's better than last time when most people wouldn't even believe that it was going to accumulate.

NWS has my Tuesday high of 31, Wed 32. At least we'll get ice at the very least...really wish I was further west. It's times like this I wish I didnt care so much about the weather...i'm like ridiculously, almost angrily jealous of GSO, W-S, CLT HKY etc. UGH.

It all evens out.  For instance, you have a lot more fire ants than we do.

Here in the western piedmont, ten to fifteen miles makes a huge difference.   I live between Lincolnton and Hickory, and any number of times I have seen a difference between my home and Lincolnton of as much as 3 to 5 inches of snow.  It's almost exactly ten miles.  So, yes, one can make that call with some degree of success; especially with regard to temperature.  Obviously the storm track may be an entirely different matter

Obviously, ten miles can make a difference.  We've all seen the other side of town getting different weather than us. What I said was that no one can tell with certainty at this point what difference 10 miles could make in an area without a drastic change in elevation. 

Understanding that we don't know yet where the frz rain/sleet/snow line will setup, how much confidence do we have that there will be significant sleet and freezing rain with the system?

Granted, if the low gets cranking along the coast it will tend to pull in a layer or multiple layers of warmer air, I expected some mixing somewhere. Are we trending toward more sleet with the system? How is the cold air supply looking? It seemed to me that the High might be trending a little less strong and maybe slipping a little more north, is that the case or just a variation in the map I saw? 

Thanks for all the great bonanza banter to all! :)

Archived