Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone a little puzzled by the news coverage of this in central NC? WRAL, WTVD, etc. aren't really talking much about the potential impact of ice. I know they don't want to be the station to incite panic, but seems like it's a little too downplayed.

ABC11 says 3-6.

NBC17 says 2-6

WRAL says no numbers yet.

It's just too tricky to nail down amounts.  They are all talking about "heavy accumulations" and serious impacts, but just not confident in totals just yet.  Same reason NWSRAH isn't nailing down totals either.

I just went out and bought a carbon monoxide detector because I can't find ours. I hope I didn't jinx things. I saw a friend in Walmart and he said 30 minutes prior to seeing me, the store was a mad house. He said it was so bad that he was scared to have his kid in there and was going to leave. I guess I arrived at the perfect time because it wasn't busy at all but the shelves were bare.

I just went out and bought a carbon monoxide detector because I can't find ours. I hope I didn't jinx things. I saw a friend in Walmart and he said 30 minutes prior to seeing me, the store was a mad house. He said it was so bad that he was scared to have his kid in there and was going to leave. I guess I arrived at the perfect time because it wasn't busy at all but the shelves were bare.

Yeah.. had to run to Walmart earlier this afternoon to get a few things and it was very busy.  Bread shelves were mostly bare.  Also needed some ice melt so ran by Lowes early this morning and they said the entire district was out of ice melt. Luckily, the local Ace harware store still had a few left.  Also picked up my first official snow shovel.  :D

Did you get an at switch with that oconee? I commend you that is quite the backup generator and it is worth it's weight in gold if you need it. I'm not sure they would let you buy that without an ats.

NO I ran a 10g wire to an empty 30 amp breaker in my box. If power goes out I throw my main breaker off crank up generator and flip my 30 amp on. Worked great. If power comes back on by seeing neighbors lights come on I shut off my 30amp...turn off generator and throw main breaker back on.

ABC11 says 3-6.

NBC17 says 2-6

WRAL says no numbers yet.

It's just too tricky to nail down amounts.  They are all talking about "heavy accumulations" and serious impacts, but just not confident in totals just yet.  Same reason NWSRAH isn't nailing down totals either.

I too have been amazed at the vast difference in forcasted amounts for my area, the upstate. Anything from 3-6 to 8-12 out there right now.   :blink: Honestly, I am getting a little concerned about my big one here, the trend today has been for precip to go further SE and looks like first batch tomorrow will completely miss us north of 85.  :cry: 

Did you get an at switch with that oconee? I commend you that is quite the backup generator and it is worth it's weight in gold if you need it. I'm not sure they would let you buy that without an ats.

As far as the 20000 blue ridge is putting in it does come with a switch. But the portables do not.

Hmm...On FB Larry Cosgrove is saying that it will be a "TOTAL ICE FEST" for the Carolinas. He has ice in the Western Piedmont and shows snow in the higher elevations (mountains). I do not buy that solution myself, based on what I am seeing, the forecast from you all and of course NWS-GSP always has a great handle on the rain/snow line...

Yeah.. had to run to Walmart earlier this afternoon to get a few things and it was very busy.  Bread shelves were mostly bare.  Also needed some ice melt so ran by Lowes early this morning and they said the entire district was out of ice melt. Luckily, the local Ace harware store still had a few left.  Also picked up my first official snow shovel.   :D

What?! You don't have a snow shovel? Although, I shouldn't say anything...we use our snow shovel to change turn our compost pile. :lol:

I agree, forecasters are saying mid 30s in Columbia by tomorrow morning, I've heard that before.   I'm think low to middle 40s here by tomorrow morning, which is why I'm not 100% convinced about any of this tomorrow night.  If temps get to below freezing down here in Columbia, it probably won't be until the low pressure pulls north, just like 2 weeks ago. 

smh...

These comments are not unlike the ones already deleted in the discussion thread here at amwx.

indeed :lol:

This storm is boring.

It hasn't started yet :P

Hmm...On FB Larry Cosgrove is saying that it will be a "TOTAL ICE FEST" for the Carolinas. He has ice in the Western Piedmont and shows snow in the higher elevations (mountains). I do not buy that solution myself, based on what I am seeing, the forecast from you all and of course NWS-GSP always has a great handle on the rain/snow line...

I also remember him calling for all rain for the 1/29 winter storm down here.   

It was exactly this reason that I went ahead and bit the bullet and purchased a generator today. If I lost all my vension, I know I would cry! 

Username rings a bell, hah.  Glad you all have a generator, hope you don't have to use it.

How was the stock around here, any trouble finding one?  Which kind did you get?

I tore apart the carb on my Honda we tailgated with tonight and ran it through an ultrasonic cleaner, rebuilt it and the thing fired right up.  Went out and got 7 gallons of gas tonight - ready for the coming ice here.

I'm sure you know that almost none of it was bought for a cat.

Of course.  That doesn't prevent my imagination from doing the math of car trunks + litter + cats = stinky poop box. ;)

Maybe that's GDOT's backup plan; everybody open their bags and spread them where they're sitting in traffic.. 

Honest to goodness you're probably right.  :axe:

Thats what I don't understand.

Every time we have a winter storm the News crews are reporting " the snow shovels and sleds are gone" yada yada yada.

I moved here 16 years ago and invested in a snow shovel and still have the same shovel. I know we have a hard time getting a good thumping in the SE but why in the world does all the snow shovels disappear every time we get a storm?

Does people not try to conserve thier money?

Ah snow is coming got to buy a new shovel... few days later I don't need this any more-trash. Same way with the sleds?!?

Heh,  Forget "Pax".  Let's call it ICE FEST 2014.

Archived