gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Feb 8-10 Light snow event that i spent 10 days tracking

Ji

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vortex over the maritimes slides ne as the storm approaches. It's one of the problems we are faced with for sure. Less confluence so the storm gets too close. It's a reasonable solution unfortunately but we're a long ways from knowing one way or another.

our 50-50 vanishes and the storm takes an inland track..scooting out ahead of the trough...the solution is entirely reasonable too :(

lol gmta

our 50-50 vanishes and the storm takes an inland track..scooting out ahead of the trough...the solution is entirely reasonable too :(

That's been my fear,  without that a bad track.   Its interesting that the eps from the euro keeps that vortex in place.  My fears of the vortex and of having the trough go negative too quickly is why I went so wishy washy in my article.  An ex-met friend e-mailed that maybe we'd know by next weekend whether we had a snowstorm or something else.  At least we still have a storm.  I think that track might still be big ice storm for someone. 

seasons do have patterns, thus a "memory" of sorts

we need to ask the question "how many times have the models shown a eastern Canada vortex holding firm 5 days in advance only to lose it as we near the event?"

I think the answer is once this year, if that...correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of one other than maybe 1/2 or 1/22, and I don't think either were progged 5 days out like this is

according to the ensemble mean, what's keeping the vortex over eastern Canada is another vortex further east over northern England

any met care to give an opinion on the chances of that set up being stable?

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=euro&MODELL=ecmwfens&MODELLTYP=2&BASE=-&VAR=z500&HH=120&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

EPS mean precip is about .8 - .9 or so. Snowfall (with flawed algorithm)is 5-6 on the means for most everybody. 32+/- members show decent snow. At 5 days it's bullish but we all know the risks here.

EPS control run is over 1" qpf all snow  at least half is snow per accuwx maps for control run, though the slp maps they have sure look like all snow, so who knows.....maybe Weatherboy?

Archived