Newest Member
    joxey
Early January 2014 cold snaps - featuring the polar vortex of doom

Ian

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mob/

Mobile AL is progged to drop to 14 degrees Tuesday morning. That's amazing stuff.

Mountains will protect northern Virginia from subzero temps though. What I find hard to understand is how a Gulf coast region locality like Mobile can get down to 14 degrees in an arctic surge, but northern Virginia east of the mountains cant at least cool down to the lower negative single digits for one morning.

I guess this illustrates how much I don't understand basic meteorology.

I wish that I could spend Tuesday morning on the west side of the mountains. I bet I'd get to experience a low of at least -3, with some decent wind chills. 

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mob/

Mobile AL is progged to drop to 14 degrees Tuesday morning. That's amazing stuff.

Mountains will protect northern Virginia from subzero temps though. What I find hard to understand is how a Gulf coast region locality like Mobile can get down to 14 degrees in an arctic surge, but northern Virginia east of the mountains cant at least cool down to the lower negative single digits for one morning.

I guess this illustrates how much I don't understand basic meteorology.

I wish that I could spend Tuesday morning on the west side of the mountains. I bet I'd get to experience a low of at least -3, with some decent wind chills.

Time for me to plug my favorite weather event.

Historic cold coming up. Birmingham has a forecast low Tuesday of 6.

March 13, 1993 low was 2. Mid March! Superstorm - greatest ever.

Per 00z GFS, the DCA sounding for 7am TUES has surface temp of -1F. 

maps still keeping the 0 line NW.. pretty stable. these maps have seemed to run 5+ cold which is pretty in line with MOS/NWS grid.  I guess it's not impossible to get below 0 but seems unlikely in the city still.

post-1615-0-63158300-1388897340_thumb.pn

Eh, not much difference between 1 and neg 2 other than vanity and reference. I bet they close some of the school systems on Tuesday morning

Doubtful, probably more a delay.

That 0 line is straddling I-95 basically Ian... even if DCA stays at like 3-5.. places just outside will probably be around 0

maps still keeping the 0 line NW.. pretty stable. these maps have seemed to run 5+ cold which is pretty in line with MOS/NWS grid. I guess it's not impossible to get below 0 but seems unlikely in the city still.

I would be quite surprised if I get to zero. Time of year is great and airmass is very uncommon but still. Subzero is going to be awful tough near the pop centers. I would love to see some records drop just to prove we can still do it in our coldest climo month.

Record heat In Dec and record cold in Jan is an in your face sign of a variable winter. I'm taking a walk early tues am for sure. My dog may drag me back inside though.

Doubtful, probably more a delay.

That 0 line is straddling I-95 basically Ian... even if DCA stays at like 3-5.. places just outside will probably be around 0

Don't know if anyone mentioned this but schools are going to be closed in Minnesota on Monday because of the extreme cold.First time in 17 years.

Climate change has changed things enough that even during a major arctic outbreak like the one coming Monday night, I-95ers can't experience negative lows. Well, at least I got to see one 30 years ago. Too bad I won't ever live long enough to see another in Dale City, and I will never get to go north :axe: I'll be overjoyed to swelter at a low of +1 . Negative lows - so close, but so far away. Mobile AL gets to hit the low teens, but Dale City can't fall below zero. Some major arctic outbreak. Wow, INCREDIBLE cold, states the NWS headline.

These kinds of disappointments are why I have almost no empathy for the northern plains. I'd give everything in my life for a chance to experience the cold up in northern Minnesota right now, including -60 windchills during a jebwalk. I am getting close to have zero empathy for my relatives up there. I worship extreme cold and snow THAT bad. I want to experience -80 temperatures with -140 windchills. I absolutely worship frigid cold weather and snow, with no regard for anything else or anyone else. EVER.

Climate change has changed things enough that even during a major arctic outbreak like the one coming Monday night, I-95ers can't experience negative lows. Well, at least I got to see one 30 years ago. Too bad I won't ever live long enough to see another in Dale City, and I will never get to go north :axe: I'll be overjoyed to swelter at a low of +1 . Negative lows - so close, but so far away. Mobile AL gets to hit the low teens, but Dale City can't fall below zero. Some major arctic outbreak. Wow, INCREDIBLE cold, states the NWS headline.

Jeb this may overperform. Don't get too down quite yet!

My low was 9 degrees. 3rd consecutive single digit low. That last happened here 1/31-2/2 in 2004.

Tomorrow looks likely to drop below 10 before midnight. Gotta go back to Jan 1994 for 4 in a row. Tuesday would make 5 in a row, and that last happened here in Dec 1989. Then, Wednesday looks likely to be 6 in a row, and that hasn't occurred here since Jan 1961.

Archived