joxey
Early January 2014 cold snaps - featuring the polar vortex of doom

Ian

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe DCA only dropped below 10 degrees 4 times in the 76/77 winter

that's really hard to believe as cold as it was that year

I can't believe they only dropped below 10 degrees 2 times in the last 17 winters. Al Pacino would say something is out of order. I think BWI dropped below 10 degrees 10 times in January of  82 alone.

I can't believe they only dropped below 10 degrees 2 times in the last 17 winters. Al Pacino would say something is out of order.

It's tricky climo. Low elevation, valley with a river that doesn't freeze all that often, and uhi effects since the 1800's. A lot of strikes against maximizing lows.

It's tricky climo. Low elevation, valley with a river that doesn't freeze all that often, and uhi effects since the 1800's. A lot of strikes against maximizing lows.

I know a lot of people actually do defend DCA when it comes to recording temps. and snowfall and say it is a lot more representative of the area than most people realize, but the numbers are so extremely weighted in one direction that it just makes you wonder how they can be that bad when areas so close are much better. It's like you said there are way too many factors going against that specific location. I think that's why guys like JB bust so frequently when making calls for DC. He and others really don't understand the climo there. Heck, I don't really know climo there.

I know a lot of people actually do defend DCA when it comes to recording temps. and snowfall and say it is a lot more representative of the area than most people realize, but the numbers are so extremely weighted in one direction that it just makes you wonder how they can be that bad when areas so close are much better. It's like you said there are way too many factors going against that specific location. I think that's why guys like JB bust so frequently when making calls for DC. He and others really don't understand the climo there. Heck, I don't really know climo there.

It's gotten to the point where going warm for dca in all seasons except maybe spring is a good call every year in all patterns is a safe bet.

It takes a sick pattern to get a cold month anymore. I'm not sure that will ever change. The last 3 years are stark. And I'm not thrilled at all. It sucks.

#losinonthemargins

Archived