joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early January 2014 cold snaps - featuring the polar vortex of doom

Ian

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, I knew the title was a joke. I was meaning frozen over- thin ice from bank to bank.

Maybe the tidal basin and harbor but the main river will have a tough time. Tide and current moves the water too much and even with really cold temps they are too short lived. I'll bet there is a correlation with frozen river and -nao. We need a block and a week or 2 of 30's for highs and low 20's for lows.

Maybe the tidal basin and harbor but the main river will have a tough time. Tide and current moves the water too much and even with really cold temps they are too short lived. I'll bet there is a correlation with frozen river and -nao. We need a block and a week or 2 of 30's for highs and low 20's for lows.

It will also be difficult as MPD has taken to breaking up the ice up to the Georgetown docs for homeland security purposes.  One of their boats has ice armor on the hull.

I hate they are throwing out drew brees bad weather numbers-- 

i'm worried brees might throw for 700 yards....though they are a terrible road team....they average like 17 pts on the road....not that we are very good at home....I think it is a tossup...we should be able to run it down their throats....

anyway..back to weather..should be in the 20s there...and not even that bad in Cinci

i'm worried brees might throw for 700 yards....though they are a terrible road team....they average like 17 pts on the road....not that we are very good at home....I think it is a tossup...we should be able to run it down their throats....

anyway..back to weather..should be in the 40s there...and not even that bad in Cinci

We have to get more pressure on him than we did Orton. If we don't, were toast, even if McCoy puts up 150 yards. That said, I like our chances of getting throttled by Seattle.

Should be good tailgating weather...

anyway..back to weather..should be in the 40s there...and not even that bad in Cinci

I meant 20s

Last extreme cold for me was on shores of Lake Ontario Feb 2007. 10 degres, cloudy, 30 mph winds with many gusts over 40.

Personal coldest is 2am Inaguration morning 1985, temp -2 winds 20-25 with frequent 30mph gusts. On old wind chill scale that was almost -60 in the gusts. Recorded a low of -6.

Looks like it threatened all-time record cold for Chibougamau, QC at -46 F

http://weather.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?qc-121&unit=i

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/forecasts/statistics/temperature/cl7091404  (has all-time low at -44.5 C, which would be -48.1 F)

In the more populated south (Old City Quebec, one of my favorite places in this world) it's -23F right now after a low of -25F.  The high yesterday was -2F and the high today is expected to be -11F.  Very nice.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
213 PM EST THU JAN 2 2014

MDZ009-VAZ025>027-029-030-036>040-042-501-WVZ055-030315-
/O.NEW.KLWX.WC.Y.0001.140103T0900Z-140103T1700Z/
MONTGOMERY-AUGUSTA-ROCKINGHAM-SHENANDOAH-PAGE-WARREN-NELSON-
ALBEMARLE-GREENE-MADISON-RAPPAHANNOCK-LOUDOUN-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-
HARDY-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GAITHERSBURG...STAUNTON...WAYNESBORO...
HARRISONBURG...FRONT ROYAL...CHARLOTTESVILLE...WASHINGTON...
LEESBURG...WARRENTON...MOOREFIELD
213 PM EST THU JAN 2 2014

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO NOON EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS
ISSUED A WIND CHILL ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO
NOON EST FRIDAY.

* WIND CHILL...ZERO TO MINUS FIVE IN THE VALLEYS. MINUS FIVE TO
MINUS FIFTEEN DEGREES ABOVE 1000 FEET.

* TEMPERATURES...DROPPING INTO THE TEENS TONIGHT AND HOLDING
NEARLY STEADY THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS AROUND 50 MPH.

* IMPACTS...THE COMBINATION OF COLD TEMPERATURES AND STRONG WINDS
MAY CAUSE TO FROSTBITE AND HYPOTHERMIA.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WIND CHILL ADVISORY MEANS THAT VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS
WILL COMBINE TO GENERATE LOW WIND CHILLS. THIS WILL RESULT IN
FROST BITE AND LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.

&&

$

Too bad this deep cold doesn't last. Long lasting - 1 week or more - of the deep cold is one sure way to keep the insect population under control for the following spring and summer. Just think. Fewer ticks, mosquitoes, STINKbugs, etc. Ahh... heat and humidity, backyard grills and no bugs. My kind of summer!

The snow makes tomorrow night a bit more interesting. Wildcard in the temp game.  MOS in the teens earlier.. single digits might be doable in those areas out north and west. 

The snow makes tomorrow night a bit more interesting. Wildcard in the temp game. MOS in the teens earlier.. single digits might be doable in those areas out north and west.

The problem is that we are seriously warm air advecting aloft overnight Fri into Sat. 850s near freezing by mid morning. We will blow tomorrow's high at midnight and not fully realize the cold snap for lows. Next week is the prize.

Archived