• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early January 2014 cold snaps - featuring the polar vortex of doom

Ian

Yeah, it's legit looking. I think we can challenge 2009 type of cold at least. I'm still not sure how much snow cover v no snow cover is impacting things etc.  As far as I can tell all the raw model sfc outputs are almost always too cold.. not just the Euro. 

1/16/09 was the last time that DCA stayed under 20°.  High 18, low 11.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, Wes asked about this y-day so I cooked up some numbers. I'm prob going to write something for CWG as well.

DCA:

Since 1990, lows below 10:  8 on 1/17/2009, 8 on 1/10/2004, 5 on 2/5/1996, 7 on 2/6/1995, -4 on 1/19/1994

Avg min low: 30 years ending 2013 - 11.3 avg / 12 median
Avg min hi: 30 years ending 2013 - 23.3 avg / 23 median

Any windchils for either morning Ian?

From 6z Tue thru at least Wed 12z it has sub zero windchills DC north.  Still just below that at 18z Wed too north toward the PA border... that's as far as it's out so far.

post-1615-0-92094400-1388594736_thumb.pn

post-1615-0-70478000-1388594744_thumb.pn

Models have already backed off a little as we close ... but still pretty impressive. 

MOS for Minneapolis next week has -12 as a high. That type of cold is not a yearly occurrence up there.

I think this has a chance to rival some of the great outbreaks of the 80s and 90s, at least in the Midwest.  It's almost a perfect confluence of factors...bitter cold airmass aloft, massive snow field, prime time of year etc.

I think this has a chance to rival some of the great outbreaks of the 80s and 90s, at least in the Midwest. It's almost a perfect confluence of factors...bitter cold airmass aloft, massive snow field, prime time of year etc.

Based on where the models are driving the core of the cold temps, I'd imagine that the lower lakes and "traditional" Midwest would be more anomalous than the upper Midwest/Plains or further east. The really cold temps may depend on where the heavy band of snow sets up with the next storm.

So is everyone thinking the Potomac will completely freeze over?

ETA: Not really familiar with super cold, being from New Orleans and all.

That was kind of a joke.. The subtitle at least. Neither shot looks very prolonged though it's not hard to get thin ice over some sections.

Archived