• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early January 2014 cold snaps - featuring the polar vortex of doom

Ian

Raw GFS 12z is in the neighborhood of a top 2 coldest day at DCA next Tue. I give it a low chance of verifying. 

00Z GFS has MRB with a high temp of 7 on Tuesday. That would tie Christmas Day 1983 for second lowest all time, behind the 6 on 1/19/94. Only these two days, and 2/18/79 at 8, did we ever stay in single digits for a high.

Also has 496 thicknesses, which has to be a record. Would love to see this verify.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, DCA's high for today will be around freezing.

Is this the obs thread for the cold?  14.6, which already matches the coldest I recorded in 2012, and only a little above 2013's min.

I guess so re: obs.  9.8F here in Clarksburg at 8:10am.  Coldest of the year and 3F colder than anything last year.

NWS DC/Baltimore ‏@NWS_BaltWash 25m

FREDERICK MUNI APT,MD (FDK) ASOS reports gust of 68.0346160126 knots from WNW @ 1345Z KFDK 031345Z 30025G35 10SM SKC M09/M15 A3022

Wow! Those ASOS units are a lot more precise than I ever knew!

The only time I ever see metar tweets from them are for false obs. I guess they probably have it set to report sever winds or something but it doesn't seem to work well so far.

18, 19, 20 at BWI, IAD, DCA for 11a

15z RTMA.. too bad we got screwed at midnight. It does make you wonder how many days like this there are in the record that look considerably milder on paper. 

post-1615-0-87458500-1388766304_thumb.pn

I don't see it getting that cold wihtout snowcover.  No way.

Gonna be tough. Tonight is poised to overperform from recent range tho as noted last night. Upper levels might be warming but we'll still get solid cooling ... MOS is down like 10 on todays runs from yesterday. GFS MOS has pretty much everyone outside the city in single digits.

18, 19, 20 at BWI, IAD, DCA for 11a

15z RTMA.. too bad we got screwed at midnight. It does make you wonder how many days like this there are in the record that look considerably milder on paper. 

attachicon.gifrtma_tmp2m_washdc.png

i was thinking about that too -- do you happen to know how far back there are hourly obs at DCA (or other regional sites) -- be interested to look at the integrated 24-hour average temps rather than max-min for the average -- as you said, days like today don't really look that impressive in the record book

Colder in the lower elevations. Is that indicative of an inversion, plus snowcover influence?

I havent looked but I would imagine there is inversion potential tonight assuming the winds weaken substantially as forecast.  Might be one of those drop a ton early nights then stable.. HRRR is more than likely too cold most spots but maybe not.

i was thinking about that too -- do you happen to know how far back there are hourly obs at DCA (or other regional sites) -- be interested to look at the integrated 24-hour average temps rather than max-min for the average -- as you said, days like today don't really look that impressive in the record book

not off the top of my head. you could probably keep testing back on wunderground to see http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDCA/2014/1/3/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Archived