• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

Actually he said possibly never said it would happen. But propane is on a limited supply due to the amount used in NE. I could careless if he is right or not just saying been pretty accurate this winter. Now back to wish casting

I, too, am a subscriber...so I saw this first hand. He did more than just say it was possible, he said it was incoming. I asked him to cite a major hurricane and gave him links to the economic values of each that hit the US to give us a number value, he didn't. It's the difference between a few million to billion+

Joe Bastardi ‏@BigJoeBastardi Jan 16

week 1 evolves very cold.post on on why I think this has economic impact of big hurricane hit pic.twitter.com/ZJzAptIzmh

Joe Bastardi ‏@BigJoeBastardi Jan 15

I believe when totaled up, the economic impact of cold from Jan 20-Feb 5 on the US will be the winter equal of a major hurricane hit on US

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, too, am a subscriber...so I saw this first hand. He did more than just say it was possible, he said it was incoming. I asked him to cite a major hurricane and gave him links to the economic values of each that hit the US to give us a number value, he didn't. It's the difference between a few million to billion+

Joe Bastardi ‏@BigJoeBastardi Jan 16

week 1 evolves very cold.post on on why I think this has economic impact of big hurricane hit pic.twitter.com/ZJzAptIzmh

Joe Bastardi ‏@BigJoeBastardi Jan 15

I believe when totaled up, the economic impact of cold from Jan 20-Feb 5 on the US will be the winter equal of a major hurricane hit on US

This was from the first shot, but it does give an idea of the costs.

The "polar vortex" that brought freezing temperatures to all 50 U.S. states began to subside slowly on Wednesday, leaving behind at least 21 dead and economic losses estimated at more than $5 billion.

"We think that the problem will be short-lived, but we estimate it will cost about $5 billion because of the sheer size of the population affected - about 200 million people in the eastern two-thirds of the country," Evan Gold, vice president at business weather intelligence company Planalytics, said.

He told NBC television that the impact would be apparent in a loss of productivity, reduced consumer spending and higher heating bills. EFE

The LR 0z GFS (around Day 10 or so) looks to build a fairly robust west-based -NAO, which would favor a cold and stormy look in the east.  Anyone with ensemble access who would like to comment on the LR, please feel free to do so. :)

The indicies look like crap in the LR, except the AO, which looks to remain negative for a while before trending positive very late.  And the CFS is looking warmer and warmer for Feb in the SE.  Plus, as I mentioned yesterday, Don S. is calling for a warmer than normal Feb in the SE...so we'll see.

while nobody was looking, the GFS is painting a significant ice storm in CAD regions for about a week out.

Yep, I had someone get my attention on that feature for next week. Given how we have had plenty of cold air and surface high's this winter, wouldn't rule it out!

Might as well keep it going.  18z GFS showed a chance for zr in CAD areas for this coming Tues/Wed.  Then there's another chance around the 8th with a southern stream storm.  Finally, another chance of something at the end of the run.  Seems  there will be no shortage of moisture around and cold are will be lurking to the north. 

TW

Looks to me like there is excellent agreement among the global models for a possible Classic CAD setup to go along with a potent southern stream storm brewing deep in the gulf around the 240hr time range.

This has definitely piqued my interest as the GFS,EURO, and CMC all show a similar pattern.

Looks to me like there is excellent agreement among the global models for a possible Classic CAD setup to go along with a potent southern stream storm brewing deep in the gulf around the 240hr time range.

This has definitely piqued my interest as the GFS,EURO, and CMC all show a similar pattern.

Can you post maps?

The 00z Euro just hammered us on D9-10.  Widespread 12"+ amounts all over NC.  I'm having a weenie moment, but then it's D9...

Well, that was according to the clown.  850s tell a different story, though the northern Piedmont and NW foothills might stay all snow (sleet south of there?), so we probably do get hammered with a once-in-20-year event.  I love being in the bullseye at D9.  It's sure to verify.

Alright, time to pry myself away from the models and come back in a few days and see if it's still showing up in a week. Time to enjoy the snow I've got. :)

I've been watching that on goofy for a few days.  I'm ready for a big sleet storm.  This is still prime climo for it down here.  And again after mid Feb.  Just hope this isn't so big, cause it could be an ice storm easy, even if it moves north like this one did.  T

Day 8 does look interesting. Lets see if the euro holds it for a few runs in a row, I know it was there on the 12z run. Temps are borderline at this time but we have time.  6z gfs also has the storm but temps are warmer due to the s/w being a little further north.  It has peaked my interest.

Remember all this winter we have been in a repeating pattern. It would def. not be out of the realm of possibility to get another good winter storm. In fact that seems to be the way it usually works in the south anyways lately in a favorable pattern. Personally I'm a little burnt out with model watching so I'm going to stay away and recharge for a few days.  

Archived