• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

Euro ENS mean is an App's runner for day 7-8 that tracks NE to right over Boston.  I would think that would be a good track for central/west TN.

it's the one after that, but to be honest as we get closer i could see it merging into one huge overrunning event via multiple impulses. reminds me of PD2 in a lot of ways, just based on setup.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This can be moved to banter if need be and has no scientific backing. As I have been listening to people on here list specific dates and talk about big snows or ice events from the past, many have spoken of prior events in the same year, I. E on x date in 73 , X city received 4 inches of sleet, 8 days before that they received 2 inches of snow. Just reiterating the possibility of the pattern of repeating as others have said. So I think this is a legit threat for this time period with all big models having a storm of some fashion

it's the one after that, but to be honest as we get closer i could see it merging into one huge overrunning event via multiple impulses. reminds me of PD2 in a lot of ways, just based on setup.

Would prefer a PD1 redux but you take what you're given around here :D

I do agree that this one has strong signals out front.  Someone is very likely to get something significant out of it.  I'd like to see more of a 50/50 low build out to keep the cold in place longer and force the low to trek farther south.

I'll always remember PD II because it was an epic sleet storm here (unless that sleet storm was another event, but I think it was PD II?).  That's the only time I've ever experienced something like that.

With that being said, I agree with Wow.  Let's do PD I over and give me my 10-20", thank you very much!

I noticed the CFS show a decent pattern for February, IMO.  Slightly below average temperatures with well above average precipitation.  No doubt it's a better pattern for the Mid-Atlantic, but some of us can still do well in such a pattern, especially in northern and/or western NC.  It could be a good pattern for CAD, but we haven't had a legit CAD storm in years now......

I'll always remember PD II because it was an epic sleet storm here (unless that sleet storm was another event, but I think it was PD II?). That's the only time I've ever experienced something like that.

I noticed the CFS show a decent pattern for February, IMO. Slightly below average temperatures with well above average precipitation. No doubt it's a better pattern for the Mid-Atlantic, but some of us can still do well in such a pattern, especially in northern and/or western NC. It could be a good pattern for CAD, but we haven't had a legit CAD storm in years now......

James, what do you look at for the CFS? I go to the main page, click on the link at the bottom for Monthly Forecast (or whatever it's called) and look at the latest US Temp Probability map (the last column of data). But I noticed that Mitchnick posted a CFS map today that looked different than any temp map I could find on that page (different in that it looked colder than the 1/29 Feb 2m temp probability or anomaly maps). And now you said you're seeing better temps than what I saw. Just curious....

James, what do you look at for the CFS? I go to the main page, click on the link at the bottom for Monthly Forecast (or whatever it's called) and look at the latest US Temp Probability map (the last column of data). But I noticed that Mitchnick posted a CFS map today that looked different than any temp map I could find on that page (different in that it looked colder than the 1/29 Feb 2m temp probability or anomaly maps). And now you said you're seeing better temps than what I saw. Just curious....

Well, I usually look on WeatherBell.  However, I also saw it posted in the Mid-Atlantic forum (I love reading their threads for comic relief, haha).

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I see this was the map you were talking about Mitchnick posted.  This looks identical to the one on WeatherBell, so I really don't know, man.

I generally think the CFS is awful, though, so I wouldn't make too much of it, personally.  Nevertheless, it looks like it shows you and I 1-2C below average with a liquid anomaly of >1"+ for the month.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42601-february-mediumlong-range-disco/page-7#entry2698894

usT2mMonInd1.gif

usPrecMonInd1.gif

The 500 mb pattern is kind of meh, but it might be decent for overrunning or CAD events.  Then the SE ridge comes into full force in March and we torch for the rest of the spring.

Would prefer a PD1 redux but you take what you're given around here :D

I do agree that this one has strong signals out front.  Someone is very likely to get something significant out of it.  I'd like to see more of a 50/50 low build out to keep the cold in place longer and force the low to trek farther south.

Yea, at this point i hate even commenting on specifics, but hey why not. The pattern looks pretty good in that timeframe.

Well, I usually look on WeatherBell. However, I also saw it posted in the Mid-Atlantic forum (I love reading their threads for comic relief, haha).

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I see this was the map you were talking about Mitchnick posted. This looks identical to the one on WeatherBell, so I really don't know, man.

I generally think the CFS is awful, though, so I wouldn't make too much of it, personally. Nevertheless, it looks like it shows you and I 1-2C below average with a liquid anomaly of >1"+ for the month.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42601-february-mediumlong-range-disco/page-7#entry2698894

usT2mMonInd1.gif

usPrecMonInd1.gif

The 500 mb pattern is kind of meh, but it might be decent for overrunning or CAD events. Then the SE ridge comes into full force in March and we torch for the rest of the spring.

Thanks man. That's the map I saw in the MA forum. It is different than the one on the CFS site for the same date, allegedly. I can't figure out why they're different. Oh well. I agree with you about the reliability of the model. Trends are more important to me than the face value prog.

Thanks man. That's the map I saw in the MA forum. It is different than the one on the CFS site for the same date, allegedly. I can't figure out why they're different. Oh well. I agree with you about the reliability of the model. Trends are more important to me than the face value prog.

http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wwang/cfsv2fcst/

It depends on which ensemble you choose (E1, E2, E3). The 1st ensebmle (E1) is from the earliest 10 days, the 2nd ensemble (E2) from the second earliest 10 days, and 3rd ensemble (E3) from the latest 10 days. The one pictured in this thread is E3, so the ensemble using the most current initial conditions.

Presidents Day1&2

Thanks.  What years are we talking?  Or should I just peruse the Past Events page on the Raleigh NWS site until I can match up President's Day with a big storm report?  I admittedly feel quite ashamed that these storms don't stick out in my mind immediately by name alone.

Nevermind, I found the answer in the Banter Thread.  Thanks.

I think those talking about a repeating pattern are legit. I know often here when we have a moderate event it is followed by an even bigger one. Jan 2000 is the bbiggest example, but I am sure there are lots of others. WxSouth posted today we might be entering the repeating pattern of Occtober and November where is was cool and rainy. I remember then it seemed like we got rain every weekend for over a month. WxSouth said February could be stormy and explained why the southern ridge might be overblown on the models.

Thanks.  What years are we talking?  Or should I just peruse the Past Events page on the Raleigh NWS site until I can match up President's Day with a big storm report?  I admittedly feel quite ashamed that these storms don't stick out in my mind immediately by name alone.

Nevermind, I found the answer in the Banter Thread.  Thanks.

PD1 is Feb 1979 ... big snow for SE up into the NE

PD2 is Feb 2003 ... icy parts of NC but huge snow for the MA/NE

1979_Storm_gimp.png

VL2TD2v.png

I'd like to thank you, as well. You're adorable. :)

I do, however, have my rubber band gun at the ready. 2/7 is not going to work for me.

Peach, I think I'd pay to see that show :)

I'm worried about zr too, but I need to be close to the beast to get my sleet.  This stuff on the ground is worthless for sledding unless I was in  Atl.  Down here the roads were clear last night, and even tonight the stuff won't crust over.  I've been relegated to 16 degree bubble making :)  I won't mind up to a half inch of zr, if I can get 2 inches of sleet on top, or verse visa, lol.  T

That's kind of what I was thinking this last one was going to do for a while.  The filling out and going north part just went beyond my expectations :)   I though it would blend with the weekend one and shoot out impulses that would ebb and flow up here from time to time. Without blocking it just seems to want to be as you describe, which could be really interesting.  Lots of ice down here...sleety, I'd hope.   Tony

I remember 03 being a huge sleet storm. We narrowly missed a 2nd crippling ice storm in 3 years.

Yeah I remember the models were showing a big ice/mix event until it trended north in the last 2 or 3 days.  Don't recall getting much of anything.  I was in Raleigh at the time.

I understand it'll lose it eventually but the GFS has had this storm for next Weekend for damn near 6 model runs.

Yep, another ZR is on the 0Z GFS for the CAD regions within the 2/7-8 period. The signal is starting to get a little stronger. Let's see if this continues.

Yep, another ZR is on the 0Z GFS for the CAD regions within the 2/7-8 period. The signal is starting to get a little stronger. Let's see if this continues.

You want to go ahead and predict something so we know what will take place when it comes around? You nailed this last event pretty freaking well!

You want to go ahead and predict something so we know what will take place when it comes around? You nailed this last event pretty freaking well!

Thanks, Justin, but that would take the fun out of it. Wouldn't it be better if it is left as a mystery? ;)

That being said, I just checked the brand new GFS ensemble mean (0Z) and it has a CAD/Miller B'ish storm for ~2/7-8. I then decided to check other ensemble runs. The prior three GFS ens. means all had a CAD storm at about the same time! Not only that but the last two euro ens. means and CMC ens. means also had it for ~2/7-8!

edit: WxInCanton, yep, that's the one!

Thanks, Justin, but that would take the fun out of it. Wouldn't it be better if it is left as a mystery? ;)

That being said, I just checked the brand new GFS ensemble mean (0Z) and it has a CAD/Miller B'ish storm for ~2/7-8. I then decided to check other ensemble runs. The prior three GFS ens. means all had a CAD storm at about the same time! Not only that but the last two euro ens. means and CMC ens. means also had it for ~2/7-8!

edit: WxInCanton, yep, that's the one!

Sounds like we may need to begin honing in on that time period as a possible threat! Not going to lie though, this last storm wore me out. I was watching on here constantly for the 3 days prior to it. It felt good to watch it over perform a bit after all the hopes and prayers. 

Archived