Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are these storms cad area only. East of 95 would be cold rain right?

No. There is some front end snow, then it goes to some freezing rain, then maybe rain from east of rdu to the coast. From rdu westward it's below freezing the entire time. again though, don't get caught up in details like this. There is no way a model is going to have such details right this far in advance. Hell, despite the good agreement among models so far, there might not be a storm at all..or it could end up a thousand miles from where it's being shown. For example,  the euro is wildly different over canada between last nights run and this run.

Fact is, all of this is just for entertainment purposes only and just an intepretation of what the model is showing. Not a forecast, not a serious threat, just a pretty picture right now. I  certainly wouldn't bet on a model getting things right 9 days in advance :lol:

I accidentally deleted packbacker's post. Oops.

I was trying to quote it to say it reminds me more of supercad in 04.

Actually, it was my post.  No big deal.  I was wondering if the depiction was close to the Dec 4-5, 2002 mega ice storm.(I may not have the year right).  I was trying to think of other major storms that this looks similar to.  I only remember a few times where we had significant snow, sleet and freezing rain at the same time.  Seems like 96 was one also.  I don't remember the supercad 04 storm.  Anyway, I really hope there's not a major ice storm.  No fun!  Looks like there is tremendous model agreement right now pointing that direction.

That's pretty wild. Looking at the 850 temp maps, it look way too warm to sustain snowfall.  +8C on the 210hr map over CLT.

Agreed. 2m are even worse. This isn't a snow event for much outside of the mountains, we need this to trend much colder for most folks. I'd rather not have the ice.

So it probably looks better for NC if it shows temps in the 20s the whole time. SC and GA probably have to worry more about ice.

Brick in a cad setup the best areas where the cold air doesn't get scoured out tends to be the lee side of the apps....

Hickory to GSP to NE GA north of Athens 

The closer u r to the coast the more WAA u tend to get !

It's still more than a week away time for the models to evolve 

Let's hope the trends continue in all of our favors !

I doubt it gets to perry.  The freezing line at it's most southern extend goes from about lagrange to augusta then retreats slowly to the northeast. I wouldn't concern myself with these type of details though. Other than the rough outline/scenario, these details aren't worth much.

This would HAMMER many on this board.  As lookout said, central GA sits around 34 with plain rain, BUT we are a ton of days away for 1, 2...I ALWAYS hedge my bets on it being colder at 2m than forecasted with wedges.  ALWAYS happens.  This could put mid GA and north GA in a freaking helluva ZR storm. 

Lookout and Delta,

Thanks for the analysis.  This looks like another one we'll be tracking, especially if you live in the favored CAD regions.  As Delta said, wedges can be tough for the models to forecast, especially if the high is strong enough and in a favored position.  The nuisance ice storm we had in January 2005 (I think that's the right year) featured a strong CAD that bled the cold air all the way down into central Georgia.  Unless things trend significantly colder over the next week, I think I'd rather pass the ZR storm to someone else.  Any takers?  :snowing:

The Day 11 CPC Super Ensemble looks iffy for us from an anomaly perspective but the analog dates are mix type events for central NC, but the 70/80's are hard to get great data on, but at least shows a lot of potential for mix type event.  The analog for Feb 79 has been showing up now for several days, not the PDI date, but early Feb 79 which was every snow for central NC.  These CPC Super Ensembles have been pretty good this winter, hopefully it keeps it up.

Analog Date - Winter Event

2/9/75 -         2/5/75 had a frzn/ip/snow mix

2/11/82 -       2/13/82 had a rain/snow mix in RDU, looked to be snowier farther west

2/25/72 -       2/19/72 had a frzn/ip/snow mix

2/8/79 -         2/7/79 had 6" of snow in RDU plus some ice, 2/9/79 had another light event

2/3/72 -         cold rain

2/25/82 -       2/27/82 had a frzn/ip/snow mix

A very bad ice storm occurred along the Gastonia - Charlotte - Monroe corridor extending down to Rock Hill and Lancaster, SC on February 4-5, 1975.  KCLT received 1.36" of liquid - all freezing rain.  I remember it well.

Agreed. 2m are even worse. This isn't a snow event for much outside of the mountains, we need this to trend much colder for most folks. I'd rather not have the ice.

Agreed, verbatim it shows front end snow to probably sleet then majority frzn, but this does look like this will be a miller B, IMO, which are typically mixed bags for us. I am sure there will be lots of changes in the next few days though.

Archived