• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

It (12z euro ensemble) appears to be moving the high quite a bit faster than 0z, off the coast instead of anchored in the northeast.  No double barrel (parent high back in the plains) high look like on the op either.  We really need a banana high in this situation.

Yeah, not as good, but storm signal is still there, kind of what prompted me with that post I had above showing how much things change from 8/9 days out.  

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It (12z euro ensemble) appears to be moving the high quite a bit faster than 0z, off the coast instead of anchored in the northeast.  No double barrel (parent high back in the plains) high look like on the op either.  We really need a banana high in this situation.

Regardless of the details, I think we can say that the 12Z Euro ensemble is still another run suggesting a threat for 2/7-8. Same goes for the 12Z CDN ens.

To illustrate how bogusly bullish the Euro's clown maps are, take a look at this snowfall projection (as an example) from the morning of the SE coastal event which was almost all ZR and IP with 850's safely above 0C. Yet somehow the Euro kept insisting on 3-4"+ of snow, which fortunately wasn't taken seriously:

post-882-0-46392400-1391117543_thumb.png

Been a lot of nice input and discussion reading here; of note is the so-called "torch" which many keep mentioning.  As long-term forecasts turn into short-term forecasts it's been amazing the turnaround and lack of any long-term warmth.  To have a potential situation being shown so far out and so relatively consistent should give many pause for concern. 

While this weeks SE event turned into a travesty it did not involve a crippling ice-storm along with the poweroutages and associated problems.  I leave much of the analysis and commentary to those who know better by reading and learning however even with my limited knowledge this is both an exciting time and a concerning time.

Hope the trend of colder as this gets closer will continue and most of us wind up with a nice awesome snowstorm and not the crippling disaster which is currrently being potentially depicted.  Will definitely be interesting to track..

To illustrate how bogusly bullish the Euro's clown maps are, take a look at this snowfall projection (as an example) from the morning of the SE coastal event which was almost all ZR and IP with 850's safely above 0C. Yet somehow the Euro kept insisting on 3-4"+ of snow, which fortunately wasn't taken seriously:

attachicon.gifSnow1dayEnding0ZJan30th0ZEuroOp012914run.png

Isn't that map though pretty close to reality? I mean I don't deny that snow maps shouldn't be taken seriously but really almost every model didn't play the warm nose in correctly and almost never does. For those that did see snow the map was fairly accurate was it not? 

Isn't that map though pretty close to reality? I mean I don't deny that snow maps shouldn't be taken seriously but really almost every model didn't play the warm nose in correctly and almost never does. For those that did see snow the map was fairly accurate was it not? 

Burger,

It is fine close well inland where 850's were below 0C. That's not the issue. I'm not talking about those locations, I'm talking about on and near coast and in SE GA where the 850's were clearly above 0C for virtually the entire event. The Euro takes qpf that falls when projected 2 meter temp.'s are 32 or lower and assumes all precip is snow. Ridiculous! This needs to be kept in mind when looking at this next storm, which looks to have a lot of precip. with 850's above 0 C.

Burger,

It is fine close well inland where 850's were below 0C. That's not the issue. I'm not talking about those locations, I'm talking about on and near coast and in SE GA where the 850's were clearly above 0C for virtually the entire event. The Euro takes qpf that falls when projected 2 meter temp.'s are 32 or lower and assumes all precip is snow. Ridiculous! This needs to be kept in mind when looking at this next storm, which looks to have a lot of precip. with 850's above 0 C.

That is interesting Larry.  So this Euro snow map issue isn't vendor specific?  I knew WxBell tended to count all frozen as snow, but you're saying this happens on all Euro snow maps?

The ensembles are even more bullish on snow than 0z. The mean doubled from 2-4. All of the ensemble members at this time show a large amount of qpf but notall are snow. Well over half have measurable snow and about 5 are big hits. So there is very large support for a storm and decent amount of conconfidence in a snow event for the mtns.

Went up here too.

Went up here too.

Yeah, if the ensemble mean on WeatherBell can be believed, it shows about 6" here.  That's crazy for a storm 8-10 days away.  I think I counted 12 members with 10"+.  Almost every member shows some snow. :o

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this one for some reason.  Maybe it's because i have snow on the ground now. :)

I normally think it's ridiculous to discuss storms so far out into the future but this is one of the strongest signals I can ever remember.

The last storm was modeled really strong on the EPS which is why we spoke of it so long out too.  The EPS is doing pretty darn well with showing the precip/snow chances for a while now.  Very impressed.  Just have to sift through junk it spits out sometimes and be realistic with comparing the individual member's precip chart to that same member's temperature is annoying for an ice chance.

I normally think it's ridiculous to discuss storms so far out into the future but this is one of the strongest signals I can ever remember.

It is funny this past Tuesday's storm was modeled fairly far out, GaWx was all over it, I think we created a storm thread like 6-7 days out, which would be like tomorrow night 0z runs for this next potential event.

Archived