• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

What's amazed me this winter is how crappy the NAO(mostly +), PNA(mostly -), and AO(mostly +) have been. Looking at the LR it looks like they stay really crappy but we're looking at a great winter pattern coming up. The only thing that has been great is the EPO. It has been almost consistantly negative and that continues to be the LR forecast. So is the EPO the biggest player?  

Yeah, I agree.  Look at the progs today.  Just terrible.  Yet, Feb still looks good:

post-987-0-15866900-1391101594_thumb.gif

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The threat for 2/7-8 is still there as others are noting as, indeed, the 12Z 1/30 GFS is still another run with a CAD/major ZR for much of the main CAD regions 2/7-8. The signal from so far out (now 8-9 days) has been remarkably consistent. Just for the record (as details not important that far away), unlike many of the other runs of the GFS/Euro, this run is just a little too warm for ATL-AHN for ZR and would be a very miserable heavy, cold rain (~1.75" and as cold as 34-35).

Some of the runs is the strongest, wettest, and coldest cad the gfs and to a lesser extent, the other models, have projected in many many moons. For the gfs to show cad to that extend and cold that far out, it has to be a pretty strong one to say the least.

I agree with this :)

I have never seen such an extreme CAD signal on a LR GFS map, particularly post-truncation.  

I can't remember a time either....under doing...yes....over doing....no    :lol:  

The Day 11 CPC Super Ensemble looks iffy for us from an anomaly perspective but the analog dates are mix type events for central NC, but the 70/80's are hard to get great data on, but at least shows a lot of potential for mix type event.  The analog for Feb 79 has been showing up now for several days, not the PDI date, but early Feb 79 which was every snow for central NC.  These CPC Super Ensembles have been pretty good this winter, hopefully it keeps it up.

Analog Date - Winter Event

2/9/75 -         2/5/75 had a frzn/ip/snow mix

2/11/82 -       2/13/82 had a rain/snow mix in RDU, looked to be snowier farther west

2/25/72 -       2/19/72 had a frzn/ip/snow mix

2/8/79 -         2/7/79 had 6" of snow in RDU plus some ice, 2/9/79 had another light event

2/3/72 -         cold rain

2/25/82 -       2/27/82 had a frzn/ip/snow mix

Based on this alone it looks like we stand a very good chance of seeing a mix of ice and snow.

What type of severity did it show for the Tues zr threat? Was it a nuisance or more of a moderate threat?

Verbatim, it is shown as just a miserable, cold rain CAD event for all but northernmost NC CAD areas. Any ZR would be minimal per this and the prior Euro runs verbatim. It isn't even that close in most of the GA and upstate SC CAD areas with ~37-40 for the coldest. The 850's there are quite a bit too warm.

Edit: I see you're in VA. So, you may still get some verbatim.

Confirmed for 2/7-8. ZR for ATL-AHN but snow fro much of WNC

This is the classic cad winter storm..one we haven't seen in a very long time. a 1040 plus mb high, 0c 850mb temps down into nc or sc, low moving along the gulf coast, and prolific rains/snow. Only issue might be the 850mb temps as the 8c line is in extreme ne ga. But euro keeps north ga, sc, nc, etc in the 20s for the entire duration of the storm.

total precip between 1.0 and 1.5 inches. Most of that is snow over nc. I'd say 75% snow, 25% sleet or freezing rain toward the end.

i dont like the look of this euro run so far.. at 192 for the midlands and southern areas of GA.  icy look galore.

How icy does it look?  I've lived in central Georgia since 1998 and we've only had one nuisance ice storm during that period.  I would love to avoid anything to do with ZR.  Sleet and snow are just fine, but ZR is a totally different animal...I would much rather have a cold rain.

How icy does it look?  I've lived in central Georgia since 1998 and we've only had one nuisance ice storm during that period.  I would love to avoid anything to do with ZR.  Sleet and snow are just fine, but ZR is a totally different animal...I would much rather have a cold rain.

I doubt it gets to perry.  The freezing line at it's most southern extend goes from about lagrange to augusta then retreats slowly to the northeast. I wouldn't concern myself with these type of details though. Other than the rough outline/scenario, these details aren't worth much.

This is the classic cad winter storm..one we haven't seen in a very long time. a 1040 plus mb high, 0c 850mb temps down into nc or sc, low moving along the gulf coast, and prolific rains/snow. Only issue might be the 850mb temps as the 8c line is in extreme ne ga. But euro keeps north ga, sc, nc, etc in the 20s for the entire duration of the storm.

total precip between 1.0 and 1.5 inches. Most of that is snow over nc. I'd say 75% snow, 25% sleet or freezing rain toward the end.

Snow with ice on top could get nasty. I hope the air is not so dry this time to take away from the snow totals.

from my maps it looks like 1" of qpf falls with 850 temps below freezing in sw nc. Then it turns into sleet freezing rain. No qpf issues with this one. Northern mtns stay all snow but not as much qpf.

This would HAMMER many on this board.  As lookout said, central GA sits around 34 with plain rain, BUT we are a ton of days away for 1, 2...I ALWAYS hedge my bets on it being colder at 2m than forecasted with wedges.  ALWAYS happens.  This could put mid GA and north GA in a freaking helluva ZR storm.  

Archived