Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay. Looks like we have a lot to watch in the next coupld of weeks. A coupld of threats next week, and the week after that looks juicy, too.

Yeah some nice threats...Some zr possible on Tuesday and then possible big storm the around 2/8. For our area we better hope for a further east track than what has been showing up on the ops and ensembles for the 2/8 storm. Last nights 0z gfs run had a decent track for our area but most others have the track right on the coast or slightly inland which would cause our 850's to rise leaving us w/ a possible zr or even rain event. Way to early at this point but something to watch in future runs.

Here we go with Tuesday on the 126hr forecast we have 2m temps below freezing for western VA and western NC and a heavy axis of moisture inbound not good. CAD setting up as people have mentioned

Yeah, consistent with the prev run with icy conditions for parts of the CAD regions.  Total QPF isn't terrible.. no more than 0.5".

What's amazed me this winter is how crappy the NAO(mostly +), PNA(mostly -), and AO(mostly +) have been. Looking at the LR it looks like they stay really crappy but we're looking at a great winter pattern coming up. The only thing that has been great is the EPO. It has been almost consistantly negative and that continues to be the LR forecast. So is the EPO the biggest player?  

What's amazed me this winter is how crappy the NAO(mostly +), PNA(mostly -), and AO(mostly +) have been. Looking at the LR it looks like they stay really crappy but we're looking at a great winter pattern coming up. The only thing that has been great is the EPO. It has been almost consistantly negative and that continues to be the LR forecast. So is the EPO the biggest player?  

Yes.

Since late Dec, the AO has averaged negative and the PNA has been neutral to positive.  Dec was warmer than normal, Jan colder than normal.  Difference from normal was similar for both months, but with opposite sign.

I'm not too bullish on freezing rain for Feb 4 for the favored CAD regions of NC.

Weak HP at best and retreating at that too.

10m and 925  temp not to supportive of zr at the beginning and really warms up top down as the precip falls. Honestly favored areas of VA to Roanoke and Lynchburg may even have a hard time getting ZR.

I'm not too bullish on freezing rain for Feb 4 for the favored CAD regions of NC.

Weak HP at best and retreating at that too.

10m and 925  temp not to supportive of zr at the beginning and really warms up top down as the precip falls. Honestly favored areas of VA to Roanoke and Lynchburg may even have a hard time getting ZR.

How did you do in the early/mid Dec ice storm, this looks a lot like that but a little colder.

From what I remember, the December "ice storm" was more of a nuisance event.  Did anyone get warning criteria?  This event as portrayed now is in a whole different league.

TW

Sorry, should have been more clear, what I was comparing the Dec event to was the day 7 event not the day 9/10 potential.  My bad.  Agree the day 9/10 event is completely different.

Sorry, should have been more clear, what I was comparing the Dec event to was the day 7 event not the day 9/10 potential.  My bad.  Agree the day 9/10 event is completely different.

Yep!  We're on the same page.

TW

edit:  The difference now is that we have ALOT of snowpack up north and the hp at least initially is in a better location. 

http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wwang/cfsv2fcst/

It depends on which ensemble you choose (E1, E2, E3). The 1st ensebmle (E1) is from the earliest 10 days, the 2nd ensemble (E2) from the second earliest 10 days, and 3rd ensemble (E3) from the latest 10 days. The one pictured in this thread is E3, so the ensemble using the most current initial conditions.

Thanks Jon.  I finally found which image was being referenced.  It's not the same as the one I was using.  I need to do a bit more research on this product to understand it better.  Today's prog looks a bit better than yesterday's, so hopefully, we're moving in the right direction.

The Day 11 CPC Super Ensemble looks iffy for us from an anomaly perspective but the analog dates are mix type events for central NC, but the 70/80's are hard to get great data on, but at least shows a lot of potential for mix type event.  The analog for Feb 79 has been showing up now for several days, not the PDI date, but early Feb 79 which was every snow for central NC.  These CPC Super Ensembles have been pretty good this winter, hopefully it keeps it up.

Analog Date - Winter Event

2/9/75 -         2/5/75 had a frzn/ip/snow mix

2/11/82 -       2/13/82 had a rain/snow mix in RDU, looked to be snowier farther west

2/25/72 -       2/19/72 had a frzn/ip/snow mix

2/8/79 -         2/7/79 had 6" of snow in RDU plus some ice, 2/9/79 had another light event

2/3/72 -         cold rain

2/25/82 -       2/27/82 had a frzn/ip/snow mix

500hgt_comp_sup814.gif

Archived