• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2013 - 2014 Banter Thread

NEG NAO

I just lurk, but Euro play by play is better if people are either specific about where the PBP is at or use descriptions, hourly, using well known airports, of where the approx location of the 850 mb and surface freezing line is, and previous precip amounts.

As a rule, if only a few hundredths of liquid equivalent fall in the following six hours after magic temps/thicknesses were reached, verbatim, the model isn't really showing enough snow to be concerned about.

Trickier on the 6 hour precip amounts if there is a big crash in temps during the period.  I suspect NWS type pro-mets may get finer time scales than 6 hours, so if a pro-met says 'no snow for you based on this model', he is probablyt seeing that.

Just saying, as a frequent lurker.   But I, personally, am hoping all of NYC gets a foot plus.

PBP is also better if people don't predict what the model will show, but rather just tell us what the model IS showing. Otherwise, you often get one person saying it's coming north, and another saying it's coming south and so forth.

Then again, we should just be fortunate people who pay for these models are giving us free information at the time of release anyhow. They don't have to, and after some of the flack they get I wouldn't blame them for just making us wait till the free sites come out with the model run.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Love the pbp, but the pissing contest has to stop. The analysis differs some, but in fairness, different areas are being described. No commentary is really that far off base, people need to just relax a little bit.

What I think is a huge problem, is when people who have 60 posts come into a thread at that time and start calling people terrible posters and asking for banning. Now that's a huge problem, and extremely ridiculous and uncessesary

I Love the pbp, but the pissing contest has to stop. The analysis differs some, but in fairness, different areas are being described. No commentary is really that far off base, people need to just relax a little bit.

What I think is a huge problem, is when people who have 60 posts come into a thread at that time and start calling people terrible posters and asking for banning. Now that's a huge problem, and extremely ridiculous and uncessesary

Welcome to the NYC subforum lol

Yeah, I think that the PBP threads are great and people shouldn't come down so hard on anyone that is willing

to perform the service especially when many people are at work and just peeking in on a mobile phone. I just don't

get the anger that pops from time to time in very busy threads. Most people in here share the same passion for

weather and the few who are overly contentious need to take a break. There is nothing more annoying than

threads getting chocked up with disputes. I think the classic example of this was the January 2008 storm

thread that turned into a big brawl and the thread starter deleted it in the middle of all the observations when

it was obvious that it was too warm for the snow that was forecast.

I was going to post this in the 3/2 thread, but it seems to have calmed down and I didn't want to add to the banter, so I'll put it here.

I was out most of the afternoon getting rehab/therapy on my leg.  John and Doug haven't been on (mods have lives... what a concept!).  So, a little while ago, I log on and read the 3/2 thread, and it was quite frankly some of the worst **** I've ever seen on here... and that's saying something.  Pages of back-and-forth bickering, arguing, and off-topic banter, not by newbies, but long-time members that I would think should know better.  It was embarrassing, and the people involved should be embarrassed as well.

Regardless of who started what, the right thing to do would be to take it to PM, or even the banter thread... not keep it going, page after page.  Just think how it makes this subforum look to guests and newer members.

I deleted a pile of posts in that thread.  If I ever see something approaching that level of train-wreck again, warnings and restrictions will be given, regardless of board-standing or reputation.  Let's try to act like adults here.

/rant

I was going to post this in the 3/2 thread, but it seems to have calmed down and I didn't want to add to the banter, so I'll put it here.

I was out most of the afternoon getting rehab/therapy on my leg.  John and Doug haven't been on (mods have lives... what a concept!).  So, a little while ago, I log on and read the 3/2 thread, and it was quite frankly some of the worst **** I've ever seen on here... and that's saying something.  Pages of back-and-forth bickering, arguing, and off-topic banter, not by newbies, but long-time members that I would think should know better.  It was embarrassing, and the people involved should be embarrassed as well.

Regardless of who started what, the right thing to do would be to take it to PM, or even the banter thread... not keep it going, page after page.  Just think how it makes this subforum look to guests and newer members.

I deleted a pile of posts in that thread.  If I ever see something approaching that level of train-wreck again, warnings and restrictions will be given, regardless of board-standing or reputation.  Let's try to act like adults here.

/rant

It's amazing ... the NYC area has some of the most intelligent people in the US (and the world) and, well, our subforum skews totally in the other direction. 

Hope the EURO shifts south tonight. It has made me very nervous with this north trend. WE NEED IT TO STOP NOW!!! :yikes:

I don't know why I even bother to read the banter, but where was the euro with today's storm, it's basically on its own, this type of crap is annoying to read it's not like the euro is the only model out there.

Disagree.  They may only post when they feel strongly about something instead of "tweeting" every thought that comes into their heads like some of the more prolific posters.

Disagree. They may only post when they feel strongly about something instead of "tweeting" every thought that comes into their heads like some of the more prolific posters.

I mean I guess your right to a point. However, it is mostly just stirring the pot, and I think that's all that was going on today.

A lot of people come out the wood work to Pig pile and make snarky comments, it happens in all of these forums at some point.

I mean I guess your right to a point. However, it is mostly just stirring the pot, and I think that's all that was going on today.

A lot of people come out the wood work to Pig pile and make snarky comments, it happens in all of these forums at some point.

True...and a lot are crawling on top of the log in plain sight doing the same thing.  They don't deserve better treatment than the less frequent posters.

Archived