• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The Second Wave: Dec 10 (Model Discussion)

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm liking the outlook for this event. Looks like a good wide spread snowfall for all. I hope everyone gets a good taste of some banding in this one. All the models show excellent banding set up for this one with a great DGZ at 700mb for a good chunk of the region. I'll take a stab and say the best banding will set up in a SW to NE fashion running from just north of IAD up to Westminster over to NW side of beltway extending to PA into Southern PA. Best banding usually runs that line, so I'll take a stab at that area. That band will be moving too, so areas to the east could still get whacked as it progresses NE.  I'm never usually one to make snow calls, but I'll take a stab at it. Criticism always welcome as it's just IMO

NoVa - 3-8" (I can see highest in areas closest to Montgomery and PG)

DC - 3-6" (I'm sure DCA will still report under that  :rolleyes: )

Baltimore - 3-6" (Locally lolli's to 8" on NW side of beltway especially)

Frederick to Carroll - 3-8"  (Carroll with higher side of prediction)

Harford to Cecil - 3-8" (Watch banding near PA line)

I'm in Millersville, so I'll throw my prediction out there - 3-7"  (One of my professors whose a regular jinx on snowfall is gone. Let the games begin!!)

I'm hoping that since we have clear skies tonight, we will cool down nicely before clouds begin to move in. I'd hate to miss this just because our surface is too warm. Complete opposite of what happened yesterday with the freezing rain.

good luck down there, you guys usually pull these marginal temp storms out in the end

Not according to LWX. In about 4 hours they raised my high on Wed by 5 and my low by 8. My forecast from them has been swinging wildly all day. Strange.

Something whacky has been going on. A few hours ago they had my high temp on Wed. at 21 and now it's 27 which is more in line. Thursday should be the colder of the 2 days as far as highs go.

You mean according to the XXz GFS? those point and clicks have little if any human input

They are matching the text forecasts though. You can read back through all of the forecasts from today. I've never seen anything like what has gone on today. My high for wed has gone from 36 to 25 to 30 in twelve hours.

Dr. Sikora is gone? Up with the OWLES project? He is notorious for creating an unexplainable snow-hole over SE PA.

Yeah. I'm almost tempted to write my masters thesis outlining the "Sikora effect"  :lol:

One things for sure, it's going to be plenty cold for it to snow. I can see temps plummeting down to mid-20's in the intense banding. The ratios will be great. Further north I can see 12-15:1 ratios. South of Rt. 50, I can see 10-12:1. Overall, that moisture transport from Gulf has been vicious so far. I can see a greater plume of moisture then what the models are depicting

when did you move? better area for snow? though I doubt Manchester could be much worse with its elevation

I moved over the summer and Pine Grove averages between 35 and 38" depending on the coop station you look at in the area, about the same as Manchester but I have the feeling we get there with more nickel and dime stuff and less big ticket events.  Looking at past data it seems this area gets in on a lot of storms...NW edge of coastals...and does OK with some snow before mixing from inland runners...but we rarely jackpot.  I moved for love not for snow, but we intend to relocate either back to MD next year or possible to the Poconos in PA depending on where my career takes me.  I still love to follow your threads, way more active and knowledgeable then most of the others. 

Overall, that moisture transport from Gulf has been vicious so far. I can see a greater plume of moisture then what the models are depicting

I agree 100%. Southern stream interaction with winter systems has a tendency to be UNDERdone on the models in terms of available moisture and eventual QPF reaching the ground.

I moved over the summer and Pine Grove averages between 35 and 38" depending on the coop station you look at in the area, about the same as Manchester but I have the feeling we get there with more nickel and dime stuff and less big ticket events.  Looking at past data it seems this area gets in on a lot of storms...NW edge of coastals...and does OK with some snow before mixing from inland runners...but we rarely jackpot.  I moved for love not for snow, but we intend to relocate either back to MD next year or possible to the Poconos in PA depending on where my career takes me.  I still love to follow your threads, way more active and knowledgeable then most of the others. 

Good luck on your move.

This is one of those rare times that I really don't care what the euro says. American guidance loves this pattern for whatever reason.

Agree.  The Euro's been playing catch up to the American models in this pattern and I think the American models will lead the way with tomorrow.  But I do like to see the Euro to keep my expectations in check but I'll go with 4-6".

Oh, ok. I checked a map and I'm familiar with where you are having driven to Wilkes Barre quite a few times over the years. Good luck with your career and the snow, and you should know that you're always welcome in our forum!

Agree.  The Euro's been playing catch up to the American models in this pattern and I think the American models will lead the way with tomorrow.  But I do like to see the Euro to keep my expectations in check but I'll go with 4-6".

and my new favorite, the RGEM, which has had a similar 0Z run to its 18z with around .5", give or take for DCA/BWI, more qpf S&E

Archived