• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The Second Wave: Dec 10 (Model Discussion)

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doable, but that is a tight squeeze at 800 and we will need heavy to overcome the ground (surface) temp.

What bothered me about the soundings during the 12-18Z timeframe, including the latest RAP soundings as they were coming in, and the latest 00Z NAM before I left work, was that we really don't get a lot of vertical motion (and moisture for that matter) in that -12 to -18C layer -- or when we do (~15Z), it doesn't last very long according to the hourly RAP soundings.  Obviously you want the uvv's and moisture to be robust for a longer period of time up there in order to maximize the dendritic growth potential and (thus) snowfall rates. 

So that could mean another round of "here we go again", where areas north of the DC metro area may have a better chance at better banded structure because they would have a better chance on getting that more favorable microphysics within the best UVV layer.  This would be opposite of where most of the models are dropping the heaviest QPF (DC-Annapolis south).  So it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.  Right now I'm just focusing on the fact that the probabilities for >1 inch are solidly above 70% and >2 over 50% for the greater DC-Baltimore metro areas.  Above that (>2"), chances are going to hinge on where the best bands set up I would think. 

Some folks will look just at precip totals and freak out on the euro. I look at it and see support for widespread uniform distribution. That's a good signal for sure.

I personally think the euro is a tenth or 2 too light overall. But I don't see how almost all of us city folks don't get s minimum 3-4 at this point.

Some folks will look just at precip totals and freak out on the euro. I look at it and see support for widespread uniform distribution. That's a good signal for sure.

I personally think the euro is a tenth or 2 too light overall. But I don't see how almost all of us city folks don't get s minimum 3-4 at this point.

Freak out about what? The western placement? It looks mighty fine to me.

We should almost all end up happy.

Archived