Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After all is said and done, by Thursday next week - I expect perhaps half an inch of snow sleet total on my cartop.

This is all about how far west you live (western Virginia, West Virginia, western Maryland and so on)

And it is about elevation.

I am in eastern Virginia and I am at 70 feet. I get a half inch of sleet and or snow on the top of my car in the next  5 days or so, I'll be about as happy as a person who won 79 million dollars in the lottery.

If good precip makes it to DCA, the rest of the area up to the PA line will be OK. That's been my experience.

I did a quick read in the sne forum about this even. Met consensus is the 0z gfs/nam op may not be doing well with waa precip and it should be further north. I doubt the brick wall happens as well. At least not down this far south. 

i don't even care what the setup is, where the storm goes, or how much sleet or freezing rain follows, all i want is more than 2" of snow.  i don't want the same nickel and dime 'ish as last year.  if it's going to snow, i want it in significant quantities.

that is all.

This arctic outbreak in Texas reminds me of one of the best Turkey Day football games I can ever remember:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-JeffSullivan/STAR-Frozen-in-Time-%E2%80%93-Thanksgiving-1993-Memories/8129f300-52ea-4c71-a321-e6f314ceb887

Absolutely historic weather capped off by the most bone headed play in NFL history.

WINTER_GFS0P5_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW_120HR.gif

There is a strong signal for a narrow band of snowfall. These maps are a little antiquated but they do a good job of showing how certain areas cash in.

I do not recall an event like this where southern areas get more than the north, especially in a WAA flow such as this. I hope it verifies but my personal impression is skeptical at the moment. If this works out verbatim then DC will be the king of CAD events and plain old weather luck.

However i've seen this setup many times for Miller A and Miller B hybrid events such as Feb 5th 2010 (Snowmageddon). Makes you wonder if this is in the process of transitioning to more of a coastal low. Albeit with a case of "too little too late".

Archived