e46ds1x
December Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Nikon D3100. Am I cool?

That was my first DSLR. Decent camera.

No one who has a Nikon is cool. Although you are on level up from Sony.

:(

I think Nikon and Canon are basically the same cameras with different labels. Most people just get locked into whatever their first SLR is given the lenses. I have a PS3 too but I never turn it on so win.

Agree, I stay with Nikon since I have all the lenses and accessories. Not worth paying more to upgrade to another company.

I think Nikon and Canon are basically the same cameras with different labels. Most people just get locked into whatever their first SLR is given the lenses. I have a PS3 too but I never turn it on so win.

In all seriousness, I'd love to take a class or something to learn about all the bells and whistles of a good DSLR. I definitely don't know how to use more than 10% of its capability.

But I still take damn good pictures. ;)

It must be a great game, there's surprisingly little chatter about the most important 0z NAM run in the history of the human race.

NAM is the reason every event gets called a "bust" or an "underperformer". If this run doesn't give us 3" of QPF another run will.

My recommendation would be to never again use 'auto'. Set that D3100 on 'M' and learn (if you haven't already done so) how to properly meter, expose, etc. Once you get all that down, it is really fun. One of things I love so much about my camera is that there is no 'auto'. I'm in complete control of the camera.

In all seriousness, I'd love to take a class or something to learn about all the bells and whistles of a good DSLR. I definitely don't know how to use more than 10% of its capability.

But I still take damn good pictures. ;)

My recommendation would be to never again use 'auto'. Set that D3100 on 'M' and learn (if you haven't already done so) how to properly meter, expose, etc. Once you get all that down, it is really fun. One of things I love so much about my camera is that there is no 'auto'. I'm in complete control of the camera.

Given you can burn 1000 pics and then delete them there's no real reason not to learn if you have the time but even auto takes some awesome pics with today's cameras.  The crop factor on many models seems to help in a lot of cases with depth of field etc.  You can do real well just pointing and shooting with a good lens.  But manual settings do open up a lot more options .. I generally shoot in aperture priority -- lazy man manual.

I was waiting for you to say that, i am sure all the people who were freaking out at 18Z will say to toss it as well.

If this doesn't end up a big ice storm for someone I'm forever giving up on ice storms locally.

BTW Bob, we're still drinking cold lager tonight.

I'm usually a bourbon guy in the late evenings but a bottle of Irish tullamore dew whisky was left by a friend from the weekend. I just poured some and its damn good. I was thinking Irish luck as I poured it.

If the gfs sucks I'm drinking the whole bottle and walking the hood looking for stray cats to kick.

I'm usually a bourbon guy in the late evenings but a bottle of Irish tullamore dew whisky was left by a friend from the weekend. I just poured some and its damn good. I was thinking Irish luck as I poured it.

If the gfs sucks I'm drinking the whole bottle and walking the hood looking for stray cats to kick.

I don't believe it will. For whatever reason I think we turned a corner with this one tonight. We shall see.

My bedtime's supposed to be 9:30 after a martini or two for a 5:30 wake-up. Tonight's one of those "Why not?" nights since we're within 72 hours of onset. I think I'll switch over to Sapphire... 

I am trying to see the utility in discussing the minutiae of the criteria for winter storm warnings or advisories. The concern here should be whether or not the storm materializes. I don't care when or where or if LWX issues an advisory. You know they will. They always do and are super cautious about it. We just went through the drill when there was not a whiff of frozen ( okay, I got two ice cycles) last week.

Archived