• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Severe Weather Outbreak November 17

Christina Glowacki ‏@producerxtina 2m
#BREAKING: The Washington Co. coroner says two people were killed when a #tornado hit their home in rural southern #Illinois.

Also, note that this is Washington County, which is in the south of the state.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While some photos do show significant structural damage, one thing to look for when identifying more violent tornadoes is the trees and surroundings. Some structures may be weakly built and destroyed by comparatively weaker winds. That's how you can tell the violent tornadoes (May 20, 2010 with the debarked/deformed trees) to the somewhat weaker (damaged/destroyed structures with trees mainly intact). I don't know the building codes in the impacted areas, but that is also something to keep in mind when attempting to diagnose the intensity of a tornado using damage indicators. 

I can understand that, but there can be a number of other factors as well. Like multiple vorticies or some unknown reason why tornadoes damage one thing and leave one thing nearby unscratched.

washington (or at least it says that on the picture just posted)

edit: It is Washington the road in the top is Main street which goes south

1454542_682105265147268_1298037278_n.jpg

What road is the one curving to the N in the bottom of this picture? I have family on Lynn Street in SE Washington, IL that I can't get a hold of and I'm trying to get my bearings straight. Velocity image didn't look like it went South of town but I'm still concerned.

Thanks

I can understand that, but there can be a number of other factors as well. Like multiple vorticies or some unknown reason why tornadoes damage one thing and leave one thing nearby unscratched.

There are hundreds of factors that come into play. I was only stating a few observations based on a photo. The only way to tell the complete extent of the damage is by a detailed damage survey. 

Not sure if it's been posted on here but just drove by Coal City, IL at I 55. Looks like major damage and all access to Coal City closed. Emergency equipment everywhere and you can see where tornado crossed over I-55. Fire trucks from Lisle and Downers Grove down.

I was on I-55 as it crossed and it was very rain wrapped from what I could tell.  Minor damage on I-55 with some trees/power poles down.  Not sure if anyone else here was on I-55 at the time, but I said it earlier and I'll say it again, there were lots of people who were stopping at the overpasses.  Going northbound people had made it so that only one lane was open at a few overpasses, and then the southbound lanes were completely blocked at one point because of people just stopping on the interstate to take cover under the overpass.  It was all between Dwight and Braidwood.  Just goes to show that people still have that idea in their minds thinking it is the right thing to do. 

What road is the one curving to the N in the bottom of this picture? I have family on Lynn Street in SE Washington, IL that I can't get a hold of and I'm trying to get my bearings straight. Velocity image didn't look like it went South of town but I'm still concerned.

Thanks

I think this is the north end of town, curved road possibly Coventry dr.

Thanks

This was son the NW side of town ...that is main street/washington road on the top...

that road appears to be Coventry

washington (or at least it says that on the picture just posted)

edit: It is Washington the road in the top is Main street which goes south

1454542_682105265147268_1298037278_n.jpg

Putting the damage into perspective ... here's a google street view near the center of the photo above:

Completely flattened: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=washington,+il&hl=en&ll=40.71507,-89.42222&spn=0.005424,0.010493&sll=41.481648,-81.806277&sspn=0.042889,0.083942&t=h&hnear=Washington,+Tazewell,+Illinois&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.71498,-89.422221&panoid=0sGZBhFAcYcoq5-9gTOzWA&cbp=12,349.94,,0,12.98

What's shocking about the initial tornado damage photos is the relative scarcity of trees. Sometimes it looks like trees (as projectiles) compound the damage potential, but I have to wonder how cars parked on the street really start to amplify debris as the kinetic energy builds.

Flying cars would really help damage the integrity of any common structure we see on a day to day basis, and with less structural integrity, this could really present a problem.

Does anyone know any studies that show how different debris components (like mobile homes, cars, trees) work against each other and exponentially intensify damage?

If it were shown to be a debris intensifying factor - is there a plausible scenario where people anchor their cars if a tornado is approaching?

Archived