Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Severe Weather Outbreak November 17

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While some photos do show significant structural damage, one thing to look for when identifying more violent tornadoes is the trees and surroundings. Some structures may be weakly built and destroyed by comparatively weaker winds. That's how you can tell the violent tornadoes (May 20, 2010 with the debarked/deformed trees) to the somewhat weaker (damaged/destroyed structures with trees mainly intact). I don't know the building codes in the impacted areas, but that is also something to keep in mind when attempting to diagnose the intensity of a tornado using damage indicators. 

Unfiltered (time sensitive) 

Its going to take a while to know what really happened in some of the most rural locations 

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/today.gif

One thing I am surprised about is the lack of long track tornadoes unless I missed something earlier.  With the fast storm motions I thought that this was almost a given if storms ever got going. 

Impressive couplet forming south of Fort Wayne. I may be heading out that way soon

I am looking very closely at the storm that went through Fort Wayne, and then into NW Ohio. Nothing really stands out as a tornadic area. Most of this seems to be quite a mix of storm shapes. Certainly the severe thunderstorm warnings are needed for potential wind gusts, although there haven't been any wind reports that showed up near Fort Wayne.

One thing I am surprised about is the lack of long track tornadoes unless I missed something earlier.  With the fast storm motions I thought that this was almost a given if storms ever got going. 

You missed things earlier. Also, I'd venture the Paducah area tornado was a long tracked one as well.

I think it's too early to make that call, we won't have a full picture until tomorrow most likely. The Washington, IL and Paducah, KY-area tornadoes were most likely long-track, and there isn't a lot of information about some of the others yet.

I am looking very closely at the storm that went through Fort Wayne, and then into NW Ohio. Nothing really stands out as a tornadic area. Most of this seems to be quite a mix of storm shapes. Certainly the severe thunderstorm warnings are needed for potential wind gusts, although there haven't been any wind reports that showed up near Fort Wayne.

Maybe no one was reporting it. Couplet by Van Wert now

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHERN MUHLENBERG COUNTY

IN SOUTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY UNTIL 415 PM CST...

AT 346 PM CST...A CONFIRMED LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO WAS

LOCATED NEAR GREENVILLE...AND MOVING EAST AT 60 MPH. SPOTTERS

SIGHTED A TORNADO AT 340 PM NEAR MILE MARKER 31 ON THE PENNYRILE

PARKWAY. AT 346 PM...A TORNADO WAS SIGHTED ABOUT 3 MILES INTO THE

MUHLENBERG COUNTY LINE. THIS TORNADO HAS A HISTORY OF PRODUCING

DAMAGE.

THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION.

Severe Thunderstorm Warning on line moving through S Indiana.

AT 440 PM EST...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE
  EXTENDING FROM BLOOMINGTON TO 6 MILES SOUTHWEST OF PETERSBURG...AND
  MOVING EAST AT 55 MPH.

THESE ARE VERY DANGEROUS STORMS.

HAZARD...80 MPH WIND GUSTS.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.

IMPACT...MOBILE HOMES WILL BE HEAVILY DAMAGED. FLYING DEBRIS WILL
           BE DANGEROUS TO PEOPLE AND ANIMALS. EXPECT CONSIDERABLE
           DAMAGE TO ROOFS...WINDOWS AND VEHICLES. EXTENSIVE TREE
           DAMAGE AND POWER OUTAGES ARE LIKELY.

While some photos do show significant structural damage, one thing to look for when identifying more violent tornadoes is the trees and surroundings. Some structures may be weakly built and destroyed by comparatively weaker winds. That's how you can tell the violent tornadoes (May 20, 2010 with the debarked/deformed trees) to the somewhat weaker (damaged/destroyed structures with trees mainly intact). I don't know the building codes in the impacted areas, but that is also something to keep in mind when attempting to diagnose the intensity of a tornado using damage indicators. 

Questions about this?

https://twitter.com/wall_cloud/status/402191857762840578

Archived