Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Severe Weather Outbreak November 17

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were numerous tornado warnings out of the QLCS that blew through and multiple strong couplets, I'd imagine there is widespread damage from those and the straight line winds across northern/western IN (especially NW and west-central sections).

Sounds like it.  There are a lot of fairly rural areas that were hit and early sunset at this time of year doesn't help. 

This has potential to evolve into a heckuva damaging wind event especially after things become more linear.  If there's not a high for tornadoes then there might be for wind.

Or how about for both...

03z HRRR shows a few blotches of 2000j/kg surface-based cape in the warm sector of northern IL around 18z.  That would be damn impressive for mid November this far north.

17_sbcp.gif

Don't often see baseball sized hail in November...

1757 275 NORMAL MCLEAN IL 4052 8900

IN WEST NORMAL

1814 275 ASSUMPTION CHRISTIAN IL 3952 8905

Also, SBCAPE was 2000+ J/kg at 17z in the vicinity of the Washington cell in Central IL.

As bad as things were in Indiana it could have been worse if we had gotten some higher CAPE and some sun. The dynamics today could have easily produced EF-3 TO EF-5 tornadoes. I feel very lucky as I was concerned for awhile.

Is this the station you are referencing? http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KINKOKOM16

Data seems sorta flaky on it. It shows it registered a 138.5mph wind gust earlier in the month.

Those Ambent weather stations are notorious for false readings, they also tend a bit high in normal operation.

Is this the station you are referencing? http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KINKOKOM16

Data seems sorta flaky on it. It shows it registered a 138.5mph wind gust earlier in the month.

lol that looks like the one.  Saw the local met post about it on his blog so I assumed it was legit. 

Interesting local chase...

Ended up staying relatively local and made a play on what was previously the Washington tornadic cell as it passed through Will Co. Made it to southeast of Frankfort along Rt 45 where I intercepted the storm. The tor was not visible, but wrapping rain curtains were clearly evident, along with damaging inflow winds likely in the range of 75-90MPH. At this point I bailed east, but not without encountering falling trees, and flying branches and sheet metal for a time.

After things settled down I headed back west to check out the damage. Widespread tree damage, along with some damage to houses and barns/out-buildings due to inflow winds. As for the tornado track, I'd estimate around 1/4mile and a SW/NE track from south of Manhattan (likely before that too given reports) on up to at least close to Rt 45 southeast of Frankfort. Houses, barns, out-buildings and trees were damaged. There were several wooden transmission poles that were either bent over or snapped. There were also at least 4 high tension transmission metal truss towers that were bent over to the SSE of Manhattan...one of which was collapsed about 3/4 down.

This will be really useful for one of our survey teams tomorrow. Mind if I print it out?

My uncle lives in Paducah and just missed that Paducah/Brookport tornado this afternoon by about 2 miles. Was telling me some news sources down there reporting that the USEC/Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant took a hit from that tornado. Could be a developing story. Linked to two of the local news sources down there (WPSD Local 6 and the West Kentucky Star). 

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/Paducah-plant-responds-to-weather-damage-232276691.html

https://www.facebook.com/WestKentuckyStar/posts/10152028783484254

Just following up on my post from earlier this eve as there is an update:

UPDATE: Most of the damage was confined to the exteriors of plant structures. No production systems were affected and all critical safety systems continued to function as intended. 

One of the plant's four enrichment production buildings, the adjacent cooling towers and nearby electrical switchyard sustained most of the damage. Several of the transite panels that cover the building were torn off or broken. Electrical power poles, wiring and other electrical circuits were also damaged. The shrouds or collars that surround the fans on this set of cooling towers were destroyed. 

A recovery team has been appointed and will coordinate the cleanup and repair.

USEC ceased enriching uranium at the plant in June, and only limited plant operations related to inventory management were ongoing at the time of the storm.

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/ky-state-news/Paducah-plant-responds-to-weather-damage-232276691.html

Just saw that. Sadly, that tornado is likely violent given strength of TVS and height of lofted debris.

TDS being picked up on KLOT radar at 11kft.  Jesus.

This seems to be a trend now with the violent tornadoes. I'm forgetting where I saw it, but there is some research out there that shows fair correlation to height of TDS and tornado strength for tornadoes above EF2.

Archived