Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Severe Weather Outbreak November 17

Saw this come across as a retweet on my Twitter

Jim Cantore ‏@JimCantore 3h

Lucky to be alive !! via @bryanwx@USTornadoes: Dash cam of a direct hit by a tornado in Illinois yesterday: http://youtu.be/BLPTrDSjXNw 

Near Tuscola IL on I-57... I do like the random car that appears at 38 secs and is totally oblivious... looks like it was RW tor

If posted already, my bad... I went back to page 30 and didnt see it

That is some pretty terrifying video.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There might my dash cam video from an East Peoria squad car that took a direct hit on Pinecrest Drive in East Peoria. I was about 1/4 mile behind him and watched him drive right in the path. It was probably EF1 at that point.

IWX confirmed several tornadoes in NE IN and NW OH, including an EF-2 which struck down a few miles west of me:

...TORNADO /PAULDING COUNTY OH AND PUTNAM COUNTY OH/...
RATING: EF-2

PATH LENGTH:  8 MILES
MAXIMUM ESTIMATED WIND SPEED:  130 MPH
MAXIMUM ESTIMATED PATH WIDTH:  440 YARDS
START TIME:  ESTIMATED AROUND 451 PM EST
END TIME:  ESTIMATED AROUND 459 PM EST
LOCATION:  TOUCHDOWN OCCURRED ABOUT 0.25 MILES SOUTH OF THE INTERSECTION OF ROUTE 66 AND
COUNTY LINE ROAD IN SOUTHEAST PAULDING COUNTY AND LIFTED ABOUT 5 MILES NORTHEAST OF
CLOVERDALE IN WEST CENTRAL PUTNAM COUNTY.

The Village of Cloverdale has about sixty buildings and approximately half of them were damaged or destroyed, including St. Barbara's Catholic Church. Before:

4858649652_79688e3b80_z.jpg

After:

23994339_BG1.jpg

Interestingly, the most powerful November tornado on record in Ohio, the monster EF-4 that hit Van Wert on 11/10/02, passed just north of the same path taken by Sunday's storm, and the EF-3 that hit Ottawa on 10/24/01 took a path just to the south. Late Fall tornadoes are bad news for Putnam County, Ohio!

I read the threat with great interest as the storms rolled through - thanks for the great information provided.

Tony

I think he accidentally left out 4/19/11

Ok I figured this out.  4/19-4/20, 2011 indeed had 29 tornadoes in Indiana, but 4/20 is the key part in this.  A number of them occurred between 12-1 AM EDT, but the NCDC Storm Events Database lists them in EST so it makes it look like they occurred between 11 PM and midnight on the 19th. 

Ok I figured this out.  4/19-4/20, 2011 indeed had 29 tornadoes in Indiana, but 4/20 is the key part in this.  A number of them occurred between 12-1 AM EDT, but the NCDC Storm Events Database lists them in EST so it makes it look like they occurred between 11 PM and midnight on the 19th. 

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Another discrepancy in Mike's post was 33 tornadoes on 6/2/1990. I always thought that Indiana had 37 on that date. Do you have any records of that?

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Another discrepancy in Mike's post was 33 tornadoes on 6/2/1990. I always thought that Indiana had 37 on that date. Do you have any records of that?

37 is correct (and I'm absolutely sure about this one  :P).  There were 4 that crossed over from Illinois.

I think we have a winner for worst parent and asshat of the year:

That's unbelievable. Even more so that he posted it online and apparently saw no issue with his behavior. That guy is pathetic, not only for treating his kids that way when they were obviously terrified, but for putting himself and his children in harm's way in the first place by worrying more about getting video rather than getting them to safety.

IWX surveyed a couple more tornadoes, one of which moved in from LOT.  Note the path width.

..TORNADO /WHITE COUNTY IN/    RATING: EF-2  MAXIMUM ESTIMATED WIND SPEED: 125 MPH  MAXIMUM ESTIMATED PATH WIDTH: 3000 YARDSPATH LENGTH: 10.52 MILES (LONGER IF YOU INCLUDE BENTON COUNTY   SECTION)  START TIME: ESTIMATED AROUND 246PM EST  END TIME: ESTIMATED AROUND 256PM EST   LOCATION: ENTERED WHITE COUNTY NEAR BENTON/WHITE/TIPPECANOE COUNTY   BORDER. LIFTED APPROXIMATELY 2 MILES WNW OF BROOKSTON.  DESCRIPTION: CONTINUED FROM BENTON COUNTY. VERY WIDE CIRCULATION   WITH EMBEDDED VORTICIES. 20 TO 25 BARNS DESTROYED WITH DEBRIS THROWN   UP TO 2 MILES AWAY. 10 TWO FOOT DIAMETER WOODEN ELECTRICITY POLES   SNAPPED AT THE BASE. SMALL HOME HAD ITS ROOF COMPLETELY REMOVED WITH   THE DEBRIS THROWN UP TO HALF A MILE NORTHEAST. SECTIONS OF THE ROOF   WERE STUCK IN THE GROUND LIKE PROJECTILES.   

IWX surveyed a couple more tornadoes, one of which moved in from LOT.  Note the path width.

..TORNADO /WHITE COUNTY IN/    RATING: EF-2  MAXIMUM ESTIMATED WIND SPEED: 125 MPH  MAXIMUM ESTIMATED PATH WIDTH: 3000 YARDSPATH LENGTH: 10.52 MILES (LONGER IF YOU INCLUDE BENTON COUNTY   SECTION)  START TIME: ESTIMATED AROUND 246PM EST  END TIME: ESTIMATED AROUND 256PM EST   LOCATION: ENTERED WHITE COUNTY NEAR BENTON/WHITE/TIPPECANOE COUNTY   BORDER. LIFTED APPROXIMATELY 2 MILES WNW OF BROOKSTON.  DESCRIPTION: CONTINUED FROM BENTON COUNTY. VERY WIDE CIRCULATION   WITH EMBEDDED VORTICIES. 20 TO 25 BARNS DESTROYED WITH DEBRIS THROWN   UP TO 2 MILES AWAY. 10 TWO FOOT DIAMETER WOODEN ELECTRICITY POLES   SNAPPED AT THE BASE. SMALL HOME HAD ITS ROOF COMPLETELY REMOVED WITH   THE DEBRIS THROWN UP TO HALF A MILE NORTHEAST. SECTIONS OF THE ROOF   WERE STUCK IN THE GROUND LIKE PROJECTILES.   

That tornado was wider than the Greensburg tornado. It was probably capable of EF3+ damage.

That tornado was wider than the Greensburg tornado. It was probably capable of EF3+ damage.

The area where it hit is maybe 15 miles from me...I've driven through there countless times and believe me there is a lot of wide open space.  Wouldn't be surprising if the strongest winds didn't hit anything.

Wow 3000 yards wide? That is almost a mile and three quarters wide. That can't be right, maybe 300 yards or 3000 feet?

Wow 3000 yards wide? That is almost a mile and three quarters wide. That can't be right, maybe 300 yards or 3000 feet?

I think it's right based on them saying "very wide."  They normally don't give measurements in feet I thought?

I guess if it had to hit somewhere then it picked a good area.  What a problem that would've been had it been farther south and gone through Lafayette.

I think it's right based on them saying "very wide."  They normally don't give measurements in feet I thought?

I guess if it had to hit somewhere then it picked a good area.  What a problem that would've been had it been farther south and gone through Lafayette.

IWX confirmed the tornado in chat as 1.7 miles wide.

Yeah it is a good thing that didn't go right through town, would have been a disaster to say the least.

There's really nothing wider than a mile wide in the database back to 1950. 

Tornado widths were reported as average width until relatively recently (1980s?), so they're likely underreported. Several of the Palm Sunday tornadoes come to mind in particular. Still, 1.7 miles is incredible.

Archived