Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

using big rainstorms as analogs to pending snow storms around here will not get you where you want to be me thinks

Come on, Mitch.  It's more than that. 

Tuesday, December 8th, .30 inches rain.

Wednesday, December 9th, 1.41 inches rain.

Then a snowstorm the following Friday and Saturday.  Coincidence?  I think not.  We can expect snow next Friday and Saturday.

That's how analog-ing is done, yo.

Look at the weather service picture forecasts at the top of this page.  It says 100% chance of snow and sleet Tuesday with a high of 47. When you look down at the worded forecast it says a chance of rain, sleet or snow before 9AM then rain becoming heavy in the afternoon.  I hate those type on picture forecasts no matter what the time range. They don't convey information very well.  In this case someone who's really lazy might conclude Dunkirk Maryland is gonna have ice problems when the actual worded forecast says not likely. 

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Dunkirk&state=MD&site=LWX&lat=38.7217&lon=-76.6608#.UpPvQifpw3k

I guess the little icons are automated and go for the most disruptive weather mentioned in the worded forecast. Sorry for the range,  those picture icon forecasts are a pet peeve of mine. 

Archived