northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
July 2013 Obs/Banter/Disco

Avdave

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storm last night at around 11:15 fried my big screen, that thunder and lightning was some of the worst I have seen and heard in a long time here.

That sucks. We lost a tv that way too

I had lightning come in on the cable about 2 years after we built the house, deep fried all 5 TV's and the converter boxes too!!!

It struck a utility box 1/4 mile away and traveled thru underground line. Got my house and the house directly across road, left the house between us and the direct hit alone. :huh:

Haha. Was just getting ready to brag that yesterday was second day this month with no rain.....and it started raining! So 2 days will stand through tomorrow it looks. I told son yesterday that it looks more like early May than end of July with all the 'greenness'.

EDIT- Yep there is 0.01, 2 days will hold.

Whoa...NWS confirming a tornado early yesterday near Darlington, MD (Harford County). 

...EF0 TORNADO CONFIRMED IN HARFORD COUNTY MARYLAND EARLY ON JULY 23RD...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VA HAS CONFIRMED A EF0 TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN NEAR DARLINGTON MARYLAND...IN HARFORD COUNTY...SHORTLY AFTER MIDNIGHT ON JULY 23 2013.

LOCATION...HARFORD COUNTY MARYLAND
DATE...JULY 23 2013
ESTIMATED TIME...12:12 AM TO 12:13 AM EDT
MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF0
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...80 MPH
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...100 YARDS
PATH LENGTH...0.8 MILES
BEGINNING LAT/LON...39.628N / 76.182W
ENDING LAT/LON...39.632N / 76.169W
* FATALITIES...0
* INJURIES...0

That sucks. We lost a tv that way too

I had lightning come in on the cable about 2 years after we built the house, deep fried all 5 TV's and the converter boxes too!!!

It struck a utility box 1/4 mile away and traveled thru underground line. Got my house and the house directly across road, left the house between us and the direct hit alone. :huh:

The good news is it was a Mitsubishi big screen and I bought it 13 months ago, but after calling customer service even though it was slightly past the year warranty they agreed to fix it under warranty. It is a good thing they are so nice because it was the main board for the TV and it would have cost $800 if they did not fix it for me. My neighbor 2 doors down lost 2 TV's and 2 directv receivers with this storm so I guess I am lucky.

Global vs regional model brawl for tomorrow.  GFS and Euro have a nice day, clouds clearing and highs in the lower 80s.  NAM has afternoon rain after hitting 75, and the 4km NAM and both WRFs leave us in murk the whole day with afternoon highs in record low max territory (60s!).

Afternoon rain and 75, please.

Thanks for making this happen for me, MN.

The good news is it was a Mitsubishi big screen and I bought it 13 months ago, but after calling customer service even though it was slightly past the year warranty they agreed to fix it under warranty. It is a good thing they are so nice because it was the main board for the TV and it would have cost $800 if they did not fix it for me. My neighbor 2 doors down lost 2 TV's and 2 directv receivers with this storm so I guess I am lucky.

We have a Mitsubishi big screen as well and the main board went bad a couple months past warranty and they fixed it at no cost anyway.  Great company.  The thing is a workhorse now at 12 years old.

Oh BTW -- for you folks on here that suggested buying the Radarscope app for $10...thanks!  It is superb.

We have a Mitsubishi big screen as well and the main board went bad a couple months past warranty and they fixed it at no cost anyway.  Great company.  The thing is a workhorse now at 12 years old.

Oh BTW -- for you folks on here that suggested buying the Radarscope app for $10...thanks!  It is superb.

That is why i buy Mitsubishi, they have great customer service. My old Mitsubishi big screen is over 10 years old and when i got my new one i moved it to my basement and it is still working great.

Archived