joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Threat June 11-13

Hoosier

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously not saying a tornado event the caliber of June 5th-6th, 2010 is likely, but the CIPS has been hitting it hard for the past two runs with that event in top 5 analogs both times, the synoptic setup is rather similar, although the mesoscale is still up in the air (which Tony mentioned the other day), which was the big reason that event played out like it did.

That 18z 4 km NAM reminds me quite a bit of it, though.

40-50 knots of shear normal to the initiating boundary in eastern IA/western IL? Those cells have a shot to stay discrete for a little while.

One of the consistent top CIPS analogs has been 6/5/10 (it was #1 on the 00z run last night).  With all these high-res solutions, you have to wonder...

Obviously not saying a tornado event the caliber of June 5th-6th, 2010 is likely, but the CIPS has been hitting it hard for the past two runs with that event in top 5 analogs both times, the synoptic setup is rather similar, although the mesoscale is still up in the air (which Tony mentioned the other day), which was the big reason that event played out like it did.

Yeah, it's been in the top 5 (think it was #4 for the MS Valley on the 12z NAM). The big damaging wind event that was originally forecast really didn't play out and it ended up being more of a tornado event.

One of the consistent top CIPS analogs has been 6/5/10 (it was #1 on the 00z run last night).  With all these high-res solutions, you have to wonder...

Really one of the few severe events I've worked where I was actually anxious. Anxious about the forecast potential, the radar signatures, the damage reports coming in, etc.

Living in the OKC metro, I can speak from some experience on the hi-res short term guidance....it nailed the tornadic events down here.  I would not discount the scenarios they are displaying for a second.

I would imagine you feel like an unwilling participant in nature's version of russian roulette, which is what I am beginning to feel as I look at these high resolution models for affected areas on Wednesday.

Reading GRR AFD just makes me want to go cry in a corner somewhere. Typical for this time of the year however...

"We do have to watch the threat of heavy rain (deformation type rain)".... That's like a kick in the face when literally the MI/IN border is like a different world (thunderstorm complex after thunderstorm complex times 3).

I really like the area along I-80/90 and 2 counties north or 1 county south of it through IN. If anything forms along the warm front which all models are showing at this point there is a decent likelihood that it could be tornadic and with very good shear/instability pooling along the warm front there is even a non-zero chance at a significant tornado.

Reading GRR AFD just makes me want to go cry in a corner somewhere. Typical for this time of the year however...

"We do have to watch the threat of heavy rain (deformation type rain)".... That's like a kick in the face when literally the MI/IN border is like a different world (thunderstorm complex after thunderstorm complex times 3).

I'll let you know how this verifies here in Elkhart, assuming I still have power.

At least we don't live in the Central or Southern Plains or in the West right now.  For many of them, it looks like several days in a row in the 90s with almost no wet relief.  At least if we get screwed on the north side of things, we'll have comfortable weather to look forward to.  I'll take heavy rain over stratus clouds and nothing but drizzle.

Dtx and saying the warm front only makes it to the state border but areas south of a line from Jackson to Detroit have the best shot at severe +enhanced tornado risk due to proximity to front

Sent from my HTCONE  2

Good luck in ARB.

I'm expecting stratiform t'storms from the commahead on this side of town. Hopefully, the MCV will end up generating some prolific lightning/boomers though if nothing else.

18Z RAP staying stubborn with some type of bowing structure going through LOT tonight

Wonder if the current line right now northwest of Madison wisc will continue to develop and possibly strengthen going south in the next couple hours.

Some rumble and flashes tonight would be nice. Even though it wont be severe, im itching to take some night time lightning shots tonight

Archived