Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Severe Threat June 11-13

Hoosier

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL

134 PM CDT THU JUN 13 2013

...STORM SURVEY RESULTS FOR THE JUNE 12TH CARROLL COUNTY IL TORNADO...

* LOCATION...THE TRACK BEGAN 6 MILES NORTH OF SAVANNA AND ENDED 4 MILES WEST OF MOUNT CARROLL

* TIMING...AROUND 7 PM.

* INJURIES/FATALITIES...1 INJURY.

* EF-SCALE RATING...EF2.

* MAX WIDTH...ONE HALF MILE

* PATH LENGTH...APPROXIMATELY 6 MILES.

* DAMAGE INFORMATION...THE PATH OF THE TORNADO WAS WELL DEFINED WITH SIGNIFICANT TREE DAMAGE. SEVERAL FARM OUT BUILDINGS WERE DAMAGED AND ONE HOUSE WAS PUSHED OFF ITS FOUNDATION.

That was the one I saw

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In short, yes.

That's what I'm thinking.  At first I was like no way the media is just over-using the new buzz word.  But from a standpoint of length and with the fact that did produce wind damage, I'd go with a yes.  Not all derecho's have to be as bad as June 29, 2012 to qualify

Nice pics.  Pretty cool seeing your perspective from the other side of it.

Thought the same thing when I saw yours. That thing must of hit a boundary from westward pushing outflow from the first storms. You had backed winds near Dixon and SW sfc winds west of where our storm tracked so there was something there it might of latched onto. It was crazy seeing how quickly it got going in the low levels, both structure and rotation and how quickly it went to crap after producing the tornado.

Thought the same thing when I saw yours. That thing must of hit a boundary from westward pushing outflow from the first storms. You had backed winds near Dixon and SW sfc winds west of where our storm tracked so there was something there it might of latched onto. It was crazy seeing how quickly it got going in the low levels, both structure and rotation and how quickly it went to crap after producing the tornado.

Yeah it'll be fun to review the level II data sometime.  The boundary sounds very likely, as storms had hit areas just east of there quite a bit before that sup moved in.  When I left home around 5 the sky looked like crap overhead.  Most of the cu had disappeared, and what was left was very capped off looking.  Once I got north of Morrison the sky started looking much better. 

It was pretty intense mid-level rotation... no confirmation yet but a spotter reported a Tornado near Custar... worst of the damage stayed to the west and north of BG thankfully. At work we have a permanent umbrella cemented to the ground that snapped halfway up the wooden pole. Nothing much happened at my place though. Heck of an evolution of that MCS though

That was tough last night. I was almost positive that thing was gonna drop a twister, then by the time I got back to Maumee it died completely

Apparently a scale is needed for derechos, this was perhaps a low-end derecho in Indiana and Ohio, can't really say it was much more than an average pre-frontal line squall after that. If 7-15-1995 was the equivalent of a cat-4 or EF4 derecho, then this was a cat-1 or EF1 derecho at times and a derecho depression in the mid-Atlantic.

Blame it on warm sector collapse.

Haven't had time to post but here are some pics of some hail that fell around 7:15 p.m. with the first storm. They were around 2 to 2.5 inches in size.

Also got video of two pretty big gustnados going at the same time.  All within a mile west of my house. 

post-691-0-71286900-1371837232_thumb.jpg

Haven't had time to post but here are some pics of some hail that fell around 7:15 p.m. with the first storm. They were around 2 to 2.5 inches in size.

Also got video of two pretty big gustnados going at the same time.  All within a mile west of my house. 

That's some legit hail there. Do any damage?  

That's some legit hail there. Do any damage?  

I had some fascia and siding damage.  Roof seems okay.  Waiting on insurance adjuster.  The hail in the pic was while we were out at Limestone School Road, bout a mile or so west of my house.   Largest I've seen around here since the softballs in 81.  

I had some fascia and siding damage.  Roof seems okay.  Waiting on insurance adjuster.  The hail in the pic was while we were out at Limestone School Road, bout a mile or so west of my house.   Largest I've seen around here since the softballs in 81.  

I remember 1981. Sat in the front window watching those softballs destroy my parent's brand new car (a Mercury Cougar). After it was done, me and the neighbor girl ran out and gathered some to put in the freezer. They didn't last long in there, as my mom wasn't keen on keeping the "evidence". :D Wish I had photos of it though...

Storm report from NCDC. June 8, 1981:

I remember 1981. Sat in the front window watching those softballs destroy my parent's brand new car (a Mercury Cougar). After it was done, me and the neighbor girl ran out and gathered some to put in the freezer. They didn't last long in there, as my mom wasn't keen on keeping the "evidence". :D Wish I had photos of it though...

Storm report from NCDC. June 8, 1981:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-06-21 at 10.14.48 PM.png

Lol.  I was out playing basketball at my buddies house down the street.  I remember his mom, who was always a lil high strung, screaming at us to get inside and get in the basement.  I think there was a tornado warning. Remember it sounding like there was a hundred people beating on the roof with sledge hammers and hearing all the west and north windows to their house shattering.  We tried to save some stones too but that didn't go well for us either.  What stands out to me was all the dead birds laying on the ground afterwards.  I found some pics and a newspaper article at my parents house several years ago about it.  I'll have to try and find them again.

I had some fascia and siding damage. Roof seems okay. Waiting on insurance adjuster. The hail in the pic was while we were out at Limestone School Road, bout a mile or so west of my house. Largest I've seen around here since the softballs in 81.

As an insurance adjuster who just spent a week in your hood looking at hail damage, roof damage from hail that size is likely. Make sure your adjuster takes a look at it. I saw some very high end roofs on high end houses completely smoked by hail, and the damage was not readily identifiable from ground level.

As an insurance adjuster who just spent a week in your hood looking at hail damage, roof damage from hail that size is likely. Make sure your adjuster takes a look at it. I saw some very high end roofs on high end houses completely smoked by hail, and the damage was not readily identifiable from ground level.

Cool thanks.

Archived