• Last Reply

Oh boy.

* UNTIL 1230 AM EDT.

* AT 1148 PM EDT...RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM LOCATED NEAR
  CELINA...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 60 MPH.

STORM HAZARDS INCLUDE...
  DESTRUCTIVE WINDS TO 80 MPH...
  FREQUENT CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING...
  VERY HEAVY RAIN WHICH MAY CAUSE MINOR FLOODING.

Severe threat seems to be diminishing a bit up there but man oh man, Metro Detroit is about to get clobbered with training torrential rain. Would not be shocked to see a few 5"+ amounts out to the west of here.

Are you being serious? 

Look at the training on radar. 

yep I see. I don't see how we will see a "few 5"+ amounts" maybe a few locales will get near or just over 3" but most will be in the 1-2" range. 

Remember this Heavy Rain train is choppy looking and its weakening 

yep I see. I don't see how we will see a "few 5"+ amounts" maybe a few locales will get near or just over 3" but most will be in the 1-2" range.

Remember this Heavy Rain train is choppy looking and its weakening

5+ sounds very much in play. The storms here in Northern IL were extremely efficient in rainfall, I expect the same in MI and those will train all night.

Furthermore, the rain isnt choppy, or weakening. It's congealing with the derecho, which will throw more moisture back our direction as it pivots.

actually you bring up a good point with the pivot point, it is almost like a winter storm in that respect only with pwats extremely high, and like a winter storm where it pivots you will have very good rainfall rates.

Radarscope saying potentially 100 mph wind heading towards me

Ug. Is there actually a tornado velocity couplet at Bowling Green, or is it just a wind difference on the squall line? To me, it looks like it is a small bowing structure. But there may be a tornado near my parents.

Ug. Is there actually a tornado velocity couplet at Bowling Green, or is it just a wind difference on the squall line? To me, it looks like it is a small bowing structure. But there may be a tornado near my parents.

POSSIBLE TORNADO REPORTED ALONG ROUTE 281.
Chat Conversation End

Seen by everyone

Here's a pic and a short clip from the chase today. Ended up making a play on the tornado warned supercell that moved across Lee/DeKalb/Kane counties in IL. Initially we were north of the cell, as I was trying to decided if I wanted to play that one or head up north towards what was the Rockford tor warned cell at the time. Ended up making the decision to take the southern one, and was able to get out ahead of it. We encountered a ragged lowering, which had a nice inflow band moving in from the FFD, along with rising motion, some rotation and a gustnado. After this we allowed the cell/line to catch-up and stayed within the line along Route 34 from Plano to Oswego...Along the way we had winds around 60mph and hail up to around quarter size.

I have a longer video that shows the gustnado in the distance, but I'm having issues with it.

today1k.jpg

Here's a pic and a short clip from the chase today. Ended up making a play on the tornado warned supercell that moved across Lee/DeKalb/Kane counties in IL. Initially we were north of the cell, as I was trying to decided if I wanted to play that one or head up north towards what was the Rockford tor warned cell at the time. Ended up making the decision to take the southern one, and was able to get out ahead of it. We encountered a ragged lowering, which had a nice inflow band moving in from the FFD, along with rising motion, some rotation and a gustnado. After this we allowed the cell/line to catch-up and stayed within the line along Route 34 from Plano to Oswego...Along the way we had winds around 60mph and hail up to around quarter size.

I have a longer video that shows the gustnado in the distance, but I'm having issues with it.

today1k.jpg

Yep I was definitely on the wrong side of this storm lol

Miss for LAF, but Kokomo looks to get hit. Heads up Jim.

It was mainly a heavy rain event locally. A few gusts topping 30 mph but generally quiet. Might have had a wall cloud for a shot bit but it dissipated before we could confirm it was rotating. I shot some video with my GoPro I can check tomorrow and maybe pull off an image.

0349 UNK CONTINENTAL PUTNAM OH 4110 8427 REPORTS OF STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AROUND CONTINENTAL TIME EST FROM RADAR (IWX)

That's local to me - a house trailer was pushed into a tree, trapping the occupant. The fire departments have just left the scene, and it sounds like the occupant was fine; the house trailer, not so much.

Max winds in that area might have reached 70 mph with the gust front, and that part of the squall line was responsible for the tornado warnings in Wood and Sandusky counties. Overall, this system was much weaker than the derecho of 6/29/12 (thank God!).

Archived