wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Severe Threat June 11-13

Hoosier

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be stuck at work till about 4 tomorrow, so I'm hoping initiation holds off as long as possible.  I'm worried residual boundaries from tonight will fire stuff off early though, and the stuff may already be east of us by the time I get off.  Synoptically the timing is almost perfect for the DVN area regarding initiation, but the early initiation would throw a wrench into things. 

Looks like potential for extremely heavy rainfalls in a zone from n/c IA across n IL into border areas of MI-IN-OH and sw ON, then into w NY as the low moves east Wed 12z to Thurs 12z. Would not be surprised to see local amounts in excess of 4 inches. Slow moving, entrainment, high moisture availability from previous rains etc. This is a time of year when 8-12 inch daily rainfalls have occurred in the past and can't be ruled out entirely in this set-up. The more tornadic type of severe storms would probably run more from about s/c IA through central IL-IN into s OH. I don't foresee very clearly defined warm sector, more of an oozing moist mess going highly unstable.

Have a vague memory of an event like this over southwestern ON (Essex County) in about 1989 when the total rainfall was in excess of 12 inches and there was severe flooding of flat farmland. Not sure what happened in that event on the Michigan side of the border (anyone recognize the event I am thinking of?). Also June 1967 and 2000 both produced some massive rainfalls in that general region. I can remember dumping about three inches out of a rain gauge two days in a row and it was very warm and humid throughout.

Ha, that previous post wasn't there when I was typing that, honest. Wonder what's in the red area behind him? 4-6" probably.l

GRR bullish on keeping this ENTIRELY south of MI.

UPDATE 11:45PM EDT

AVIATION

EXPECT FOG AND LOW CLOUDS TO FORM BY 10Z WITH SOME IFR AND EVEN

LIFR UNTIL AROUND 14Z. THEN MVFR OR VFR MOST OF THE DAY WITH

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS EXPECTED IN THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

SQUALL LINE SHOULD REMAIN SOUTH OF LOWER MICHIGAN WITH WINDS

REMAINING AOB 10 KNOTS FROM THE SOUTHEAST.

AVIATION

Lol.

AVIATION

Disagree based on trends, but from Muskegon to Grand Rapids to Lansing, I could see this being the case.  Places like Benton Harbor and Battle Creek should stand a good threat with tomorrow's storms.

Disagree based on trends, but from Muskegon to Grand Rapids to Lansing, I could see this being the case.  Places like Benton Harbor and Battle Creek should stand a good threat with tomorrow's storms.

We'll see in about an hour if SPC continues their agreement with GRR.

Where do those images come from again? And yeah... that does not look very good as night begins to fall

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/mpyle/spcprod/00/

This whole setup is kinda unusual especially for the time of year. Been watching how the models are taking the surface low to 990 mb or even below as it heads out your way.

This whole setup is kinda unusual especially for the time of year. Been watching how the models are taking the surface low to 990 mb or even below as it heads out your way.

It most def is... Ian said he couldn't find anything when he was taking a glance a to past history of an event like this... going to be an interesting next few days for us and for you all... stay safe

This particular computer model dives that line right into Southern Indiana and N. Kentucky during the overnight hours. Interesting.

Archived