Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Severe Threat June 11-13

Hoosier

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DVN is not pulling any punches either.

Shut the garage door...? urging people to not try and outrun tornado I would assume...

and watching that convection he was talking about in Iowa....things really are having a tough time once you get south of Des Moines...just don't see anything washing the boundary further south

DVN is not pulling any punches either.

Shut the garage door...? urging people to not try and outrun tornado I would assume...

and watching that convection he was talking about in Iowa....things really are having a tough time once you get south of Des Moines...just don't see anything washing the boundary further south

Agree here, if there's no outflow to push things south, then you have to worry that the strength of the low level flow/theta e advection south of the boundary could even push it north because the lake influence, while certainly still there, is lessening with nearshore water temps in the low 60s. I'm very concerned about the NAM and GFS runs that had the farther north track and also the high res guidance (spc wrf and nssl wrf) popping discrete cells over northern IL before the potential hellacious qlcs moves through. Also concerned that 6/5/10 has continued to show up as a top analog. Going to catch a few more hrs nap before what's sure to be a crazy day at LOT.

Agree here, if there's no outflow to push things south, then you have to worry that the strength of the low level flow/theta e advection south of the boundary could even push it north because the lake influence, while certainly still there, is lessening with nearshore water temps in the low 60s. I'm very concerned about the NAM and GFS runs that had the farther north track and also the high res guidance (spc wrf and nssl wrf) popping discrete cells over northern IL before the potential hellacious qlcs moves through. Also concerned that 6/5/10 has continued to show up as a top analog. Going to catch a few more hrs nap before what's sure to be a crazy day at LOT.

for sure....rest up brother

Check out the SPC SSEO probs for (3hr) updraft helicity greater than 25 m2/s2 valid at 03z: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sseo/sseonew.php?run=20130612&sector=20&id=3NPR-UH25

Also, updraft speed greater than 10 m2/s2 at 03z: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sseo/sseonew.php?run=20130612&sector=20&id=3NPR-UP10

Both fit pretty well with the SREF Sig-tor ingredients.

Wind probs (> 30 kt) definitely hit hardest even a bit south of updraft helicity: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sseo/sseonew.php?run=20130612&sector=20&id=3NPR-WS30

Good luck today, this is the type of event that I'm sure that the LOT office has been preparing for, for quite some time.

for sure....rest up brother

Thanks guys, honestly it's hopefully not as bad as we fear given the amount of people in harms way in the CWA. Anyone posting obs/reports on here I'll try to check back from time to time.

Check out the SPC SSEO probs for (3hr) updraft helicity greater than 25 m2/s2 valid at 03z: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sseo/sseonew.php?run=20130612&sector=20&id=3NPR-UH25

Also, updraft speed greater than 10 m2/s2 at 03z: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sseo/sseonew.php?run=20130612&sector=20&id=3NPR-UP10

Both fit pretty well with the SREF Sig-tor ingredients.

Wind probs (> 30 kt) definitely hit hardest even a bit south of updraft helicity: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sseo/sseonew.php?run=20130612&sector=20&id=3NPR-WS30

wow...maxed out...scary stuff.....legit day on tap...I assume you will be down in Romeoville today?  i'll be up the route near weber and boughton most of the day but may venture out west and south a bit for better vision

very interesting picture this morning with more things to be bullish about than not.

-regional playing field is very quiet.  not a whole ton of junk and nothing cutting to the south interrupting moisture return.

-looks like we'll start the day with at least some filtered sun and nearest complex in Iowa looks to be dying off.

-does look like i'll avoid the worst severe threat (speaking twisters only)...marine airmass still firmly in control and it's almost chilly out. Still should see decent storms even along the lakefront but the warm front isn't going to win out and will stay well south.

-look out plainfield.

very interesting picture this morning with more things to be bullish about than not.

-regional playing field is very quiet.  not a whole ton of junk and nothing cutting to the south interrupting moisture return.

-looks like we'll start the day with at least some filtered sun and nearest complex in Iowa looks to be dying off.

-does look like i'll avoid the worst severe threat (speaking twisters only)...marine airmass still firmly in control and it's almost chilly out. Still should see decent storms even along the lakefront but the warm front isn't going to win out and will stay well south.

-look out plainfield.

had the same thought as I foggily looked over stuff from my cell phone in bed early this morning...will be very interesting to see how the boundaries, lake breeze, etc. set up later this afternoon

mod risk for flash flooding this evening as well via the HPC...people out and about for the Cup tonight could be in for a hot mess on the roads with outages and standing water

Wow, look what came from the night. Good grief, I certainly wasn't expecting this. Very "sobering" Indeed.

These are the highest probabilities I've seen since 5/29/11 around here. Hat svr wx day brought 85mph straight line winds, a few tornadoes and dangerous CG's over much of southern lower Michigan during the late afternoon hours.

Looks like that may be the only limiting factor over this way is a delayed into-the-evening (which is more or less worse if we're dealing with sups).

Everyone stay safe today.

had the same thought as I foggily looked over stuff from my cell phone in bed early this morning...will be very interesting to see how the boundaries, lake breeze, etc. set up later this afternoon

mod risk for flash flooding this evening as well via the HPC...people out and about for the Cup tonight could be in for a hot mess on the roads with outages and standing water

forecasting the lake breeze can be so hard but for the time being, I think from the immediate Chicago shore up towards Geos should see enough of a marine influence to greatly cut down the tornado threat. But in the end, this is mostly just a hunch based on my experiences with the lake and nearby warm fronts.

the lack of undercutting convection to our south is concerning and will really allow the flow to the south of the warm front to rip north which is a scenario we don't see too often.

it's also been a while since the last event with real outbreak potential in the LOT CWA and with the suburban sprawl marching endlessly west/south we're going to have a ton of population centers in play even if the city is spared.

worth noting, minor marine influence is going to do much for the wind/hail/flooding threats in the city.

EDIT: IA complex continues to shiit the bed...going to be an empty playing field. 

forecasting the lake breeze can be so hard but for the time being, I think from the immediate Chicago shore up towards Geos should see enough of a marine influence to greatly cut down the tornado threat. But in the end, this is mostly just a hunch based on my experiences with the lake and nearby warm fronts.

the lack of undercutting convection to our south is concerning and will really allow the flow to the south of the warm front to rip north which is a scenario we don't see too often.

it's also been a while since the last event with real outbreak potential in the LOT CWA and with the suburban sprawl marching endlessly west/south we're going to have a ton of population centers in play even if the city is spared.

worth noting, minor marine influence is going to do much for the wind/hail/flooding threats in the city.

EDIT: IA complex continues to shiit the bed...going to be an empty playing field. 

you can see this via OBS already as the boundary looks to be on the move....and yeah, there is just nothing between us and that warm moist feed...nothing...def fairly rare for us up here

you can see this via OBS already as the boundary looks to be on the move....and yeah, there is just nothing between us and that warm moist feed...nothing...def fairly rare for us up here

the RAP continues to be early with the lake breeze but also seems too busy with junk...not sure I buy it and feel any lake influence will be limited to the extreme near shore and NE areas.

Last night's RAP seems to have a pretty good grasp on what looks to be playing out with convection in Iowa/Wisco this AM...

Watching a cloud deck approach from the west...will have to keep an eye on satellite trends over the next few hours for speed and or if it will just wash out....don't think it will really be a "problem"

Last night's RAP seems to have a pretty good grasp on what looks to be playing out with convection in Iowa/Wisco this AM...

Watching a cloud deck approach from the west...will have to keep an eye on satellite trends over the next few hours for speed and or if it will just wash out....don't think it will really be a "problem"

obs clear up pretty quick to the west behind that deck...super thin junk

The SPC outlook probs look more like something I would expect over OK than in this region. A very concerning day to come.

I was just thinking that. You guys stay safe up there today. I don't claim to be an expert on the lake breeze front that sets up off Lake Michigan, but with such an atypical setup, you have to wonder if the stout warm pump ahead of the system could mitigate how far the breeze advances.

I think SPI is having dewpoint issues, current obs are 76/76. :lol:

Still, low 70's dews into central and southern IL at 7:00am. Juicy.

75/70 in the LAF, but looks like we may be too far south to get into anything. Good luck to everyone up north.

I think SPI is having dewpoint issues, current obs are 76/76. :lol:

Still, low 70's dews into central and southern IL at 7:00am. Juicy.

attachicon.gif6:12 7:8am obs.gif

75/70 in the LAF, but looks like we may be too far south to get into anything. Good luck to everyone up north.

Bet the heat monger has already been out reveling in this the soupy air this morning.. :whistle:

Archived