joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Threat June 11-13

Hoosier

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About impossible to pin down how Wed will evolve at this point.  We know these things love to backbuild, with "elevated trailers" as I like to call them.  The southward extent of tomorrow night's MCS and associated boundary is likely gonna have at least some impact, especially if the morning leftovers hang on for awhile.  The conditional potential is pretty big for Wed though.  Gonna be fun to watch.

ILN AFD says I have 2 shots at severe weather on Wednesday/night.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH

354 PM EDT MON JUN 10 2013 . 

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...

A WARM FRONT WILL PUSH INTO THE REGION DURING THE DAY WEDNESDAY...STALLING SOMEWHERE NEAR THE NRN CWFA BY THE AFTN HOURS. AS THIS OCCURS...THE CHANCES OF SHOWERS AND STORMS DURING THE MORNING HOURS WILL SHIFT TO THE NRN TWO THIRDS OF THE CWFA WHILE VERY WARM AIR ALOFT PUSHES IN FROM THE SW...PLACING A CAP ON THE ATMOSPHERE ACRS THE SRN THIRD OF THE CWFA. SHOWER AND THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY SHOULD INCREASE IN COVERAGE LATE IN THE DAY INTO THE EVENING HOURS ACROSS THE NORTH AS A PSEUDO FRONTAL BOUNDARY NEAR THE WARM FRONT MERGE AND BEGIN TO SHIFT SLOWLY TOWARD THE SOUTH. THIS BOUNDARY WILL BE SUPPLEMENTED BY SOME UPR LVL SUPPORT IN THE FORM OF A WEAK S/WV. THE THREAT FOR SEVERE STORMS WILL EXIST DURING THE AFTN AND EVENING NEAR THE BOUNDARY WITH LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS BEING THE PRIMARY THREATS...ALONG WITH SOME LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL. THE WARM FRONT WILL ALLOW VERY WARM TO HOT AIR TO PUSH INTO THE REGION ALONG WITH INCREASING HUMIDITY. CURRENT FORECAST HIGHS IN THE LOWER 90S ACRS THE SWRN 1/3 OF THE CWFA ALONG WITH DEWPOINTS IN THE LOWER 70S WILL PUSH HEAT INDICIES INTO THE MID AND UPPER 90S. WILL MENTION ALL THESE THREATS IN THE HWO. MORE CONCERN ARISES LATER WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY AS MODELS CONTINUE TO KEY ON A BONAFIDE S/WV FORECAST TO DIVE SE FROM THE NRN PLAINS INTO THE LOWER GREAT LAKES/OHIO VALLEY REGION. THERE IS SOME TIMING AND PLACEMENT ISSUES AMONGST THE MODELS WHICH WILL AFFECT THE POTENTIAL FOR SEVERE WEATHER DURING THE LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY MORNING TIME FRAME. THE S/WV WILL BE ASSOCIATED WITH A SFC WAVE IN WHICH DYNAMICS WILL BE SUFFICIENT FOR SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. THE THREAT FOR SEVERE STORMS WILL BE HIGHLY DEPENDENT ON THE TIMING AS MODELS SUGGEST THAT AN MCS WILL LIKELY DEVELOP TO OUR NW AND PUSH INTO THE REGION LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY. WILL CONTINUE TO MENTION DAMAGING WINDS AND LARGE HAIL POTENTIAL IN THE HWO. HOWEVER...IF A VERY LATE ARRIVAL OCCURS...THIS SEVERE THREAT WILL LIKELY BE LIMITED. A LATE ARRIVAL MAY MAKE HEAVY RAIN/FLASH FLOODING BEING A MORE SIGNIFICANT THREAT GIVEN PWATS APPROACHING 2 INCHES AND WARM CLOUD DEPTHS NEAR 4 KM (FAVORING EFFICIENT COLLISION/COALESCENCE). WILL ALSO MENTION THE HEAVY RAIN/FLASH FLOOD THREAT IN THE HWO. THE MAIN S/WV...SFC LOW AND FRONT SHOULD BE PROGRESSIVE. THEY SHOULD SHIFT SE AWAY FROM THE REGION DURING THURSDAY AFTN...BRINGING AN END TO PCPN FROM NW TO SE. HIGHS ON THURSDAY WILL DEPEND ON HOW FAST CLOUDS BREAK AND PCPN PUSHES OFF TO THE EAST/SOUTHEAST. HAVE MAINTAINED HIGHS FROM THE MID 70S TO AROUND 80.

Severe chances for SEMI on Wed once again heavily mesoscale dependent. Gonna need wagons north on that warm front.

Tomorrow will be huge with this, will have to watch the warm front progression throughout the day tomorrow. As it stands there shouldn't be any convective complexes tonight and into tomorrow until late in the evening so the warm front should lift north nicely.

Lol, there was already a tornado event on May 28th.

I'm mainly lamenting the frequent busts IMBY this spring.  With the exception of May 20th it has been very very slow here on the west side of the state - even for plain old garden variety thunder. Lots of showers and stratiform precip.  Little lightning.  Even the local meteorologists are mentioning the pattern of most thunderstorm activity staying south of the Indiana border this year.

I'm mainly lamenting the frequent busts IMBY this spring.  With the exception of May 20th it has been very very slow here on the west side of the state - even for plain old garden variety thunder. Lots of showers and stratiform precip.  Little lightning.  Even the local meteorologists are mentioning the pattern of most thunderstorm activity staying south of the Indiana border this year.

Does this mean there is need to punt the entire rest of the season in Western MI? I swear every severe thread in this region has a MI poster at some point punting something... <_<

Anyway, back on topic, the 18z GFS shows a pretty nice area of 250-400 m2/s2 0-3 km SRH by 00z Thursday across most of the eastern half of IL, which could be accented by leftover outflow boundaries especially further north.

At first glance, this setup seems similar to the one that yield the serial derecho last year, with just about the same locations being impacted too.

And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit misses this one to the NE, given the mean flow and the track of the disturbance. But It doesn't matter though, it's only June 10th. Back during the Summer from hell (2009), much of Detroit's severe weather action didn't arrive until August.

probably a good call

I learn from the master of punting.  You get fringed to the north all winter, I get fringed to the southwest all summer.  It balances out I suppose. 

I'm just lamenting the lack of boomers for the past month or so despite frequent chances.  With the exception of May 20th (the one quality chase day in my area) nothing has really panned out so far and I'm getting impatient now.  There has been some severe and even a tornado well to my SE, but it's just been so spotty.  I just want a nice region-wide squall line with lots of lighting. Unless some kind of MCV develops pushing the LLJ further north, the next system looks like more stratiform rain with maybe a rumble or two.  Worse, the system after that looks like much the same deal unless the models start to trend more north.

I learn from the master of punting.  You get fringed to the north all winter, I get fringed to the southwest all summer.  It balances out I suppose. 

I'm just lamenting the lack of boomers for the past month or so despite frequent chances.  With the exception of May 20th (the one quality chase day in my area) nothing has really panned out so far and I'm getting impatient now.  There has been some severe and even a tornado well to my SE, but it's just been so spotty.  I just want a nice region-wide squall line with lots of lighting. Unless some kind of MCV develops pushing the LLJ further north, the next system looks like more stratiform rain with maybe a rumble or two.  Worse, the system after that looks like much the same deal unless the models start to trend more north.

You do understand convection is isolated by nature?

Michigan is not really that far behind in severe reports compared to some states. There are some pockets with few severe reports (see NE IN/NW OH) but assuming this is true and not because of lack of spotters, etc, that's just how it goes sometimes.

2013_annual_map_all.gif

Severe reports through June 9:

IL: 262

KY: 211

IN: 144

WI: 127

MI: 125

OH: 99

Michigan is not really that far behind in severe reports compared to some states. There are some pockets with few severe reports (see NE IN/NW OH) but assuming this is true and not because of lack of spotters, etc, that's just how it goes sometimes.

2013_annual_map_all.gif

Severe reports through June 9:

IL: 262

KY: 211

IN: 144

WI: 127

MI: 125

OH: 99

Don't you know how it is, if a severe storm doesn't hit a Michigan poster's specific location it doesn't happen. :axe:

Archived