joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Threat June 11-13

Hoosier

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if the worst of the severe is SW of here, the heavy rain potential is looking legit locally.

This x1,000! I'll be happy with that.

As for severe wx in W.MI.. Nobody should be complaining about a lack of as we had a number of decent years not long ago. Not every year can be hyper active or active even.

Yes because one of the strongest derechoes ever is a good benchmark for normal convection...

Oh give me a break.  I googled "Michigan squall line radar" and that was the best image I could find of convection that wasn't "spotty".  I'll settle for any linear MCS that gives everyone a decent lighting show and at least 0.5" of rain.  That just hasn't happened here in the month of May or the the first 10 days of June, plus the models are hinting at convection continuing to hug the I-80 corridor and miss my area to the south pretty much through 180 hours.  You have to realize I don't get a lot of afternoon popup cells with that cold body of water to my west, so a large a MCS is my best chance at anything good.

Oh give me a break.  I googled "Michigan squall line radar" and that was the best image I could find of convection that wasn't "spotty".  I'll settle for any linear MCS that gives everyone a decent lighting show and at least 0.5" of rain.  That just hasn't happened here in the month of May or the the first 10 days of June, plus the models are hinting at convection continuing to hug the I-80 corridor and miss my area to the south pretty much through 180 hours.  You have to realize I don't get a lot of afternoon popup cells with that cold body of water to my west, so a large a MCS is my best chance at anything good.

Grand Rapids is usually far enough East from the lake shadow...

This x1,000! I'll be happy with that.

As for severe wx in W.MI.. Nobody should be complaining about a lack of as we had a number of decent years not long ago. Not every year can be hyper active or active even.

This may be my last summer in MI though.  I will probably be moving to Seattle for better job prospects soon.  I guess I just have to remember that a good thunderstorm season in the GRR area is a lot like good winter season in the LAF area.  Mostly frustrating.  When it's good it's really good, but fringe events are far more common.  There is a sharp N-S gradient to t-storm frequency between Michigan and Illinois/Indiana just like there is a sharp N-S gradient in seasonal snowfall.

This may be my last summer in MI though.  I will probably be moving to Seattle for better job prospects soon.  I guess I just have to remember that a good thunderstorm season in the GRR area is a lot like good winter season in the LAF area.  Mostly frustrating.  When it's good it's really good, but fringe events are far more common.  There is a sharp N-S gradient to t-storm frequency between Michigan and Illinois/Indiana just like there is a sharp N-S gradient in seasonal snowfall.

Enjoy years of boring weather.

Grand Rapids is usually far enough East from the lake shadow...

Depends.  If a large MCS rolls in from Wisconsin the lake usually won't kill it, and it might even strengthen when it moves inland.  But scattered afternoon popups in the warm sector tend to be very hit and miss in the US-131 corridor and only consolidate in coverage once they move further east towards I-69.  There has been an abundance of afternoon popups over the eastern part of the state but little in the way of large scale MCS moving in from WI this year.  This hasn't favored my area at all.

0z 4km WRF is interesting. CI takes place in eastern IA nw of DVN tomorrow afternoon then storms move ESE to IKK/LAF. A monster bow gets going in eastern NE into IA and more storms overnight develop along the front over northern IL and between the two systems into tomorrow morning. What develops in eastern IA tomorrow afternoon survives to NC Weds morning..

SPC Day 2 gives many of you guys 30% hatching... good luck

..MIDWEST/OH VALLEY/SRN GREAT LAKES REGION    POTENTIALLY WIDESPREAD/SIGNIFICANT SEVERE WEATHER THREAT APPEARS TO  BE SETTING UP FOR DAY 2/WEDNESDAY ACROSS THE RISK AREA.  CONVECTION SHOULD BE ONGOING AT THE START OF THE PERIOD INVOF IA/SRN  MN...AHEAD OF THE UPPER SYSTEM AND NEAR THE NOSE OF A VEERED/REMNANT  LOW-LEVEL JET.  STORMS -- AND LIMITED SEVERE THREAT -- MAY CONTINUE  EWD THROUGH THE MORNING TOWARD WI/NRN IL...WHILE THE AIRMASS AWAY  FROM THE ONGOING CLOUDS/CONVECTION HEATS/DESTABILIZES.    BY AFTERNOON...WITH THE LOW PROGGED OVER THE ERN IA VICINITY AND A  WARM FRONT LYING ESEWD ACROSS NRN IL/NRN INDIANA AND INTO OH/WRN PA  STORMS ARE FORECAST TO BEGIN REDEVELOPING -- BOTH INVOF THE LOW OVER  IA...AND IN A MORE ISOLATED FASHION EXTENDING EWD ALONG THE WARM  FRONT.  INITIAL STORMS WILL LIKELY BE SUPERCELLULAR...GIVEN  FAVORABLE INSTABILITY AND STRONG SHEAR -- AND THUS A FEW TORNADOES  WILL BE POSSIBLE ALONG WITH LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS.  UPSCALE  GROWTH IS EXPECTED HOWEVER -- PARTICULARLY OVER WRN PORTIONS OF THE  AREA CLOSEST TO THE UPPER SYSTEM...WITH STORMS EVENTUALLY EXPECTED  TO EVOLVE INTO ONE OR MORE BOWING MCS WHICH WILL SHIFT QUICKLY ESEWD  ACROSS THE AREA.  AS THIS OCCURS...THREAT FOR DAMAGING WINDS IS  FORECAST TO INCREASE...ALONG WITH LARGE HAIL.  THE BOWING BAND OR  BANDS OF STORMS SHIFT QUICKLY EWD -- REACHING THE UPPER OH VALLEY  LATE IN THE EVENING WITH ONGOING/POTENTIALLY WIDESPREAD DAMAGING  WINDS. 

Sounds like a moderate risk will be coming for Wednesday at some point, makes sense considering the thermodynamic/kinematic fields.

Yeah, the language seems to imply it. If it doesn't happen on the day 2 afternoon update then it will probably happen by the 6z Wed outlook.

Today

day1otlk_20130611_1200_prt.gif

...SRN SD/NRN NEB INTO SRN MN/NRN IA...

ACTIVITY ACROSS WRN SD/NEB WILL EVENTUALLY MERGE INTO AN MCS DURING

THE EVENING...AND IS EXPECTED TO TRAVEL EWD ACROSS SRN SD/NRN NEB

INTO SRN MN/NRN IA OVERNIGHT WITH DAMAGING WIND AND HAIL THREAT.

FORCING FOR THE MCS WILL HAVE TO OVERCOME CAPPING OVERNIGHT. AS A

RESULT...IT COULD END UP BEING A RELATIVELY SMALL MCS/BOWING

SYSTEM...BUT STILL SEVERE.

...ERN IA...NRN IL...IND...

A WEAK DISTURBANCE NOW OVER THE NRN PLAINS IS FORECAST TO ROUND THE

RIDGE AND MOVE INTO ERN IA/NRN IL BY LATE AFTERNOON. MIDLEVEL LAPSE

RATES WILL BE VERY STEEP IN A CORRIDOR FROM IA INTO IND...AND

SURFACE BASED PARCELS WILL BE CAPPED FOR MUCH OF THE PERIOD.

HOWEVER...FORECAST SOUNDINGS SUGGEST LIFT WITH THIS FEATURE AND SOME

MOISTENING ALOFT MAY BE ENOUGH TO INITIATE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF

LARGE HAIL. THESE STORMS WOULD THEN MOVE SEWD ACROSS IL AND INTO

IND. WITH AMPLE DEEP LAYER SHEAR AND STEEP LAPSE RATES ALOFT...SOME

OF THE HAIL COULD APPROACH 2.00 INCH DIAMETER.

Outlook was more bullish on the northern end than I would've thought.

Depending on the path of the storms and leftover boundries later today, the post below could happen.

Looks like a typical summer pattern shaping up.  Complexes of storms riding around the edge of the building upper high.  One thing to watch for is the storms to lay out effective boundaries that can sometimes force things further south than forecast by the models. 

06z WRF-NMM has a monster

Link?

I got it from weatherbell which I can't post but it has a large squall line running ENE from NE IL to at least extreme southern mid MI... tough to say exactly how far east /north it reaches as the domain cuts off around Detroit

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

I got it from weatherbell which I can't post but it has a large squall line running ENE from NE IL to at least extreme southern mid MI... tough to say exactly how far east /north it reaches as the domain cuts off around Detroit

Sent from my HTCONE 2

nmmarw.northcent.radarcomp42.gifnmmarw.northcent.radarcomp45.gif

Archived