Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Plains tornado threat Mon 5/27-Fri 5/31

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know why these supercells, aside from the 290-kt couplet, have mostly struggled to produce multiple strong tornadoes and/or sustained, intense rotation?

Most likely the storms are pushing out rain cooled air choking off the inflow somewhat

Supercell complex has gotten so strong it's cold pool has become strong enough to send an outflow boundary south of the cluster of sups.  The middle couplet looks undercut by that now.  The eastern couplet still has clean air to work with.  The western couplet may be cut off as well by outflow.  New development on the west end of the line could gain access to clean air, but it will have to dig more south-southeast.

How bad was it out there today?

I dunno. We chose not to chase there despite the parameters bullseying the area because we were worried about precisely what happened. We also know we wouldn't be helping the situation in a clogged city. Unfortunately a lot of chasers are dumb as bricks.

Does anyone know why these supercells, aside from the 290-kt couplet, have mostly struggled to produce multiple strong tornadoes and/or sustained, intense rotation?

Maybe something to do with the cells that fired up behind the main cell?  I didn't anticipate that, and I know when I saw that, I became a lot more hesitant about the main cell producing additional significant/violent tornadoes, but I refrained from commenting about it because I probably would have been crucified lol.

Storm west of Joplin:

Tornado Warning
TORNADO WARNINGKSC021-010115-/O.NEW.KSGF.TO.W.0029.130601T0049Z-130601T0115Z/BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDTORNADO WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPRINGFIELD MO749 PM CDT FRI MAY 31 2013THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SPRINGFIELD HAS ISSUED A* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  SOUTHERN CHEROKEE COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST KANSAS...* UNTIL 815 PM CDT* AT 747 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A  TORNADO WAS LOCATED 13 MILES WEST OF TREECE...AND MOVING EAST AT 25  MPH.  HAZARD...DEVELOPING TORNADO AND PING PONG BALL SIZE HAIL.  SOURCE...WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED FUNNEL CLOUD. SPOTTERS REPORTED  A FUNNEL CLOUD TO THE WEST OF CHETOPA.  IMPACT...MOBILE HOMES WILL BE HEAVILY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.           SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO ROOFS...WINDOWS AND VEHICLES WILL           OCCUR. FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DEADLY TO PEOPLE AND ANIMALS.           EXTENSIVE TREE DAMAGE IS LIKELY.* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...  BAXTER SPRINGS...CRESTLINE...FAULKNER...LOWELL...MELROSE...  NEUTRAL...RIVERTON AND TREECE.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...TAKE COVER NOW. MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF ASTURDY BUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF IN A MOBILE HOME...A VEHICLE OROUTDOORS...MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND PROTECTYOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.&&LAT...LON 3717 9469 3699 9469 3699 9500 3700 9507      3700 9508 3713 9508TIME...MOT...LOC 0048Z 267DEG 22KT 3702 9506TORNADO...RADAR INDICATEDHAIL...1.50IN

Maybe something to do with the cells that fired up behind the main cell?  I didn't anticipate that, and I know when I saw that, I became a lot more hesitant about the main cell producing additional significant/violent tornadoes, but I refrained from commenting about it because I probably would have been crucified lol.

Yeah this is what happened, the stuff that fired in behind cut off that main meso that was producing that violent wedge with the velocities that no one had ever seen before.

Archived