• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part II

free_man

Not a good analog when looking at the big picture, but the alignment of the 850 freezing line during the height is reminiscent. 1997 was rain to pasty snow. This looks like snow to paste/rain, back to snow, assuming current trends are correct.

The whole column was >0c prior to the onset of '97. As the mid level lows started to crank over the Jersey Shore everything dynamically cooled. At least initially this will be a boundary layer issue but even that I don't think that's a huge issue for many. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole column was >0c prior to the onset of '97. As the mid level lows started to crank over the Jersey Shore everything dynamically cooled. At least initially this will be a boundary layer issue but even that I don't think that's a huge issue for many. 

Makes sense. I vividly remember that event in eastern CT. Went from heavy rain to paste in a flash. Not the same setup here.

Makes sense. I vividly remember that event in eastern CT. Went from heavy rain to paste in a flash. Not the same setup here.

Yeah we ripped paste down in Guilford and managed to pull off nearly a foot. Down by the water and near sea level they barely saw 5" from that thing. 

This has some fantastic components to it for orgraphic enhancement for ORH hills...esp subdude's area as he is often the most favorable spot due to the steep terrain grade just off to his east. We have a firehose coming off the Atlantic with low level moisture (even well before the mid-level moisture really gets here) and a nice cold profile at 900mb and a wind of around 060 at 35-45 knots in the boundary layer.

Just what I was hoping to hear!  It does always make me smile driving on Rt 2 and seeing how much more snow there is up here than down in FIT.  Thanks for the explanation earlier too.  Better start thinking about replacing that blown belt on the snowblower....

Kind of interesting how the NAM and SREFs suggest two distinct periods of SLP stalling... one around 42hr - 48hr where the midlevel low center overtakes the coastal low in extreme SEVA.  Then the SLP appears to cartwheel around the midlevel center as the structure moves offshore.  Then everything stacks again around 60hr - 66hr.  This supports the two QPF max model, one in VA and one in EMA.  The deepening and occlusion process probably still presents a good deal of uncertainty for track, precip extent/intensity, and temp profile.

You guys worry too much about the NAM. It doesn't even have mega dynamics to help cool the column and let's not forget what it did the day before the feb blizzard.

Yeah almost all of the SREF members that have better dynamics than the NAM show much cooler profile in the CCB. Some of the ARW members look like the NAM, but more of the SREFs are not similar with the thermal profile beyond 72 hours.

This is not going to be a rainstorm. In part perhaps along the coast but it is March, there SHOULD be great dynamics, and there is a nice HP to the north. Waters is as cold as it's been all winter and when it flops onshore temps typically drop 5. Midlevels will drive the bus but good dynamics and a nice NE wind we shoudl be fine.

I guess you saw the 18Z NAM with it's foot of Upslope snow w and sw of ALB. LOL

Kind of interesting how the NAM and SREFs suggest two distinct periods of SLP stalling... one around 42hr - 48hr where the midlevel low center overtakes the coastal low in extreme SEVA.  Then the SLP appears to cartwheel around the midlevel center as the structure moves offshore.  Then everything stacks again around 60hr - 66hr.  This supports the two QPF max model, one in VA and one in EMA.  The deepening and occlusion process probably still presents a good deal of uncertainty for track, precip extent/intensity, and temp profile.

Just what I was hoping to hear!  It does always make me smile driving on Rt 2 and seeing how much more snow there is up here than down in FIT.  Thanks for the explanation earlier too.  Better start thinking about replacing that blown belt on the snowblower....

wow 2 posters above 1100' in westminster. post here during the storm in observations thread!

Brings the 850 to the Canadian border while relatively heavy qpf is still occurring 81 hours. But the bottom line is this is a major hit for most of SNE and parts of NNE.

LOL which parts of NNE?  The NAM doesn't get significant precip north of the MA/NH border really.  Hits a brick wall there.

That is the line that shows things like temperature, wind, air pressure at the 850mb level. I believe that it is often used to locate the 0c line in the winter also used in storms to "find" the cold side of the storm vs the warm side. I'm sure a Met can help clear this up if I am wrong.

It is the 850 mb 0C line.

I guess you saw the 18Z NAM with it's foot of Upslope snow w and sw of ALB. LOL

Yup.  :axe:  The worst part of the ever-improving resolution of weather models is constantly getting freaked out by modeled downslope.  It almost never verifies as extreme as the mesos, but even the globals depict it these days.  The NAM should offer encouragement that somehow we are still in the game in the HV.  But I'm plagued by the feeling that we'll be in the snowhole between the occlusion and hooking of the SLP, and even if NW solutions verify, there are still downsloping and temp issues to worry about.

I'm guessing you don't mind comparisons to Dec 1992.

Archived