EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Rockin' March

Ian

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are the ones that will make us feel the worst after we break the streak with 2.5" of slush.

the worst would be if we get like 1.8" and we're the only spot left that has the 2" snow streak still intact.

i feel moderately good we'll blow it out of the water.. well, maybe not blow it out of the water at dca. ;)

I like how people think the subforums are defined based on climo :lol:

in a lot of ways the same can be said about people who think it should be 100% divided by an arbitrary line. initially the state guidance was guidance.. again, there are people in far s pa that fit in with our weather more than people in sw va etc.

in a lot of ways the same can be said about people who think it should be 100% divided by an arbitrary line. initially the state guidance was guidance.. again, there are people in far s pa that fit in with our weather more than people in sw va etc.

Yeah that makes sense. I guess it depends on a lot of factors too like what exactly they are posting. 

i really like the cips analogs from what i've seen. pretty awesome it keeps showing snowmageddon. hecs baby hecs.

We really do seem to be feast or famine with a lot of things lately lol. Severe included. 

Hell of a way to end the 2 inch streak if it happens like it's being shown. 

I can understand the excitement the GFS  (and other models) is causing for DC metro brethren, but what makes it so much more a likely scenario than the Euro solution which has been pretty consistent in its portrayal as well? The 12Z Euro ensembles went a tick south;  fwiw. UK and Canadian models are south of the GFS too I think, I believe (NAM and JMA north of the Euro). 

The post may well be moot come 1:30am this morning and 1:30pm tomorrow if the Euro moves to the GFS solution, but it seems like there's just a bit of tunnel thinking going on here. Obviously, living in Central VA I'd love for the Euro solution to verify, but I don't assume it will, just as I wouldn't assume if the GFS showed a huge hit for Richmond and nothing for DC Metro that would automatically be correct either.

If I were living in the DC area (which I did for over 30 years) I'd be hugging the GFS like my long lost aunt too. I'm just surprised there isn't a little more balance and caution being displayed, although I imagine that is a product of the fact that the vast majority of posters come from the DC Metro area. Just an observation, I really appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and those who so graciously share their vast meteorological knowledge and make it more understandable for those of us less skilled. 

I can understand the excitement the GFS  (and other models) is causing for DC metro brethren, but what makes it so much more a likely scenario than the Euro solution which has been pretty consistent in its portrayal as well? The 12Z Euro ensembles went a tick south;  fwiw. UK and Canadian models are south of the GFS too I think, I believe (NAM and JMA north of the Euro). 

The post may well be moot come 1:30am this morning and 1:30pm tomorrow if the Euro moves to the GFS solution, but it seems like there's just a bit of tunnel thinking going on here. Obviously, living in Central VA I'd love for the Euro solution to verify, but I don't assume it will, just as I wouldn't assume if the GFS showed a huge hit for Richmond and nothing for DC Metro that would automatically be correct either.

If I were living in the DC area (which I did for over 30 years) I'd be hugging the GFS like my long lost aunt too. I'm just surprised there isn't a little more balance and caution being displayed, although I imagine that is a product of the fact that the vast majority of posters come from the DC Metro area. Just an observation, I really appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and those who so graciously share their vast meteorological knowledge and make it more understandable for those of us less skilled. 

I don't think reasonable people have completely latched on to the gfs, but rather that it didn't fold to the euro.

We live for another model run.

Even the Euro is a 6-8 inch storm for DC.

When did we start to get the runs in Feb '10 that increased QPF with every 6 hrs?  Was it this timeframe, or inside of it?

About the same time I think. The NAM was going ballistic with QPF like it always does. We all wrote it off then the GFS came around about the same. If I remember it was at 76 hours or so.

I don't think reasonable people have completely latched on to the gfs, but rather that it didn't fold to the euro.

We live for another model run.

The canadian is almost identical to the GFS and NAM..The Euro and British model are alone right now. I'm not saying they are not right. Just they are alone.

Archived