12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 17/18 Storm Threat - Discussion

mahk_webstah

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Throw me into that club.  We haven't seen 2 feet of snow in Albany since 93.  No offense to those east of us, but I'm rooting for a more west solution.  We're still about 12" under climo for the year.

I don't know about ALB officially, but my last year living in Delmar we got 24" in the Christmas 2002 storm (most of it in like 10 hours that afternoon/evening) and then like 9 days later on January 4, 2003 we got another 20".

And I think ALB got just under two feet in VDay 2007... but yes, solidly exceeding 24" in one storm has been difficult, though I don't think the Hudson Valley really has the climo for that, lol.

Logan's area got like 5 feet of snow in February 2010 (?) in like 4 days, while ALB rained.

Powderfreak, Mitch and I really need that UKMET or GGEM solution. We're the only ones who post on this sub-forum that missed the big snows. LOL   Poor Mad River Glen barely managed to re-open but reporting

"Thin Cover, Bare Spots, Windblown Snow, Icy Patches"

Or the 06z GFS depiction. These weenie model runs are indicative of what this trough is capable of producing. Whether or not it does so the million dollar question. It could be nothing more than a cold dry trough that results in nothing at all or a fish storm. However, I think the former is much less likely than the latter. I do believe there will be a significant storm, but where it tracks remains to be seen. It's quite possible that this mega trough could produce a sub 970 mb bomb somewhere.

You can get a big storm in a meh pattern if things come together just right. This past weekend was an example of that. Or you can get no storm (or a fish storm) in a beautiful pattern. It all depends on if the players come together the right way.

Throw me into that club.  We haven't seen 2 feet of snow in Albany since 93.  No offense to those east of us, but I'm rooting for a more west solution.  We're still about 12" under climo for the year.

Ouch...has it been that long? There were some good meso bands in Albany during the 2002-2003 timeframe, i.e. 1/6/02, 12/25/02, 1/4/03, and 12/6/03. That was a lucky stretch for the Capital District where there was more snow than here in the Berks. I had my lucky stretch with 12/26/10, 1/12/11, and 10/29/11.

Still an eye opening trough though. Gotta respect it.

Yeah... as long as we keep that big trough digging in, something at least has the chance to develop. 

I bet we'll see several days now of close calls or hits... then that same model will reverse the next run, and so on. 

At the very least it looks like a possible snow for portions of the southern mid-Atlantic as the thing tries to get its act together down there.

You can get a big storm in a meh pattern if things come together just right. This past weekend was an example of that. Or you can get no storm (or a fish storm) in a beautiful pattern. It all depends on if the players come together the right way.

Ouch...has it been that long? There were some good meso bands in Albany during the 2002-2003 timeframe, i.e. 1/6/02, 12/25/02, 1/4/03, and 12/6/03. That was a lucky stretch for the Capital District where there was more snow than here in the Berks. I had my lucky stretch with 12/26/10, 1/12/11, and 10/29/11.

I remember getting 17" in 1/6/02 (ALB officially had 8" in 2 hours on the METARs during that one) and we got buried late 2002 to early 2003 (Only time I'd ever seen a 36 inch snowpack in my 18 years growing up just south of ALB). 

There was a good stretch for the interior in that one... then it switched to the western CT/Berks/south-central NH... now it seems to be moving further east to the ORH-TOL corridor, haha.  Interesting how that happens where you get a series of storms that seem to jackpot the same areas a few times, then it moves to another location.

Powderfreak, Mitch and I really need that UKMET or GGEM solution. We're the only ones who post on this sub-forum that missed the big snows. LOL   Poor Mad River Glen barely managed to re-open but reporting

"Thin Cover, Bare Spots, Windblown Snow, Icy Patches"

To be honest, that's sort of business as usual at a New England ski area that doesn't have snowmaking, lol.

We definitely missed the big snows but a 10-12 inch snowstorm in the villages up here was welcomed.  That's how Jan 2011 was... SNE gets a HECS and we'd get a 7-14" storm.  That happened like 3 times, that month, lol. 

I'm just looking for more snow... I'm not really on a HECS fetish lookout, as those happen once in a while and its the luck of the draw.  Can't get hung up on it.  Sooner or later it comes around, and Logan you probably had your HECS in February 2010 when those two storms in like 4 days gave you 40-60 inches of snow while it was pouring Sultan-type rains in New England.  So it all evens out over time.

As expected tons of spread on the GEFS at this time frame but there is one member that goes absolutely ape sh*t, check out P001 tracks it right up I95 occludes around NYC. Big time precip maker lol. CP would probably be screwed but feet and feet for the mountains.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfsensemble/members/18zf144.html

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfsensemble/members/18zf156.html

As expected tons of spread on the GEFS at this time frame but there is one member that goes absolutely ape sh*t, check out P001 tracks it right up I95 occludes around NYC. Big time precip maker lol. CP would probably be screwed but feet and feet for the mountains

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfsensemble/members/18zf144.html

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfsensemble/members/18zf156.html

P008 would be an epic storm for many.

Archived