joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 17/18 Storm Threat - Discussion

mahk_webstah

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No you're right - however, "verbatim" this run may be less useful.  

For one, even though it is immensely popular if not downright romantic to bash the NAM, it has been remarkably stable - very consistent run to run continuity.  In the art of deterministic weather prediction, that's at least one of the colors on the canvas.  Contrasting, the Euro upped it's amplitude regarding the first system, which is "dis"continuity, and is a red flag that; particularly when considering the former point.     So yeah, it is probably wrong.

Also, the later amplitude on toward next weekend appears to have wave spacing issues.  So did the GGEM actually, though differently.   

Let me ask you something, Tip. I moved up here with my girl up here to Cape Cod from the Bronx a few months back, and you seem like a reasonable person.  I don't know you, but if I had to judge you, I would say you're somewhat of a weather consigliere. And I can use one of those right about now.  You see, my girl and her old lady are planning a surprise baby shower for this cousin on Sunday the 17th.  I need some solid advice.  I need to know what's gonna happen without any monkey wrenches.  So I'm gonna ask you, I just wanna know everything is gonna be OK for the planes and the cars and what not.  I'm counting on you. If everything works out OK, there's a little something in there for you too. 

Let me ask you something, Tip. I moved up here with my girl up here to Cape Cod from the Bronx a few months back, and you seem like a reasonable person.  I don't know you, but if I had to judge you, I would say you're somewhat of a weather consigliere. And I can use one of those right about now.  You see, my girl and her old lady are planning a surprise baby shower for this cousin on Sunday the 17th.  I need some solid advice.  I need to know what's gonna happen without any monkey wrenches.  So I'm gonna ask you, I just wanna know everything is gonna be OK for the planes and the cars and what not.  I'm counting on you. If everything works out OK, there's a little something in there for you too. 

If he's wrong....cement overcoat in the harbor?

The Euro came north with the VD event. Now gets like 1-3" into NYC for the first time. The 0Z run had nothing relly north of BWI.

No hope way up here..but just saying....

Verbatim on the Euro both storms are nothing like the other guidance.  I'm not saying it's right, just saying that the Euro OP isn't that interesting at face value. 

I think it's probably wrong, but there will be a lot of people that ride it even though NCEP says we toss.

There is a ton of hype that there will be a big storm this weekend AND early next week already. My god.

Happens every time there's a big one. Part of it is media outlets looking to milk every last ounce of ratings, and part of it is that people who don't normally pay much attention to extended forecasts are hyper-alert after a major storm and don't understand the nuances involved. I had relatives from out west telling me on Friday -- as the blizzard was just getting going -- that they'd heard Cantore talking about a parade of coastal storms to follow.

Euro ensembles still not biting this weekend, but that looks like a powderkeg pattern.

00z EC Ensemble mean had a low just SE of region right? At hour 144.

Wouldn't this be the same system that all the other globals are blowing up?

I will agree though that the pattern does look great.  Wonderful trough in the east and great ridge out west.

Powderfreak, Mitch and I really need that UKMET or GGEM solution. We're the only ones who post on this sub-forum that missed the big snows. LOL   Poor Mad River Glen barely managed to re-open but reporting

"Thin Cover, Bare Spots, Windblown Snow, Icy Patches"

Throw me into that club.  We haven't seen 2 feet of snow in Albany since 93.  No offense to those east of us, but I'm rooting for a more west solution.  We're still about 12" under climo for the year.

Powderfreak, Mitch and I really need that UKMET or GGEM solution. We're the only ones who post on this sub-forum that missed the big snows. LOL   Poor Mad River Glen barely managed to re-open but reporting

Also that poor dude in Bennington, VT.  Has anyone checked on him?   He could really use another Feb 26 2010.

Just what all the local snomo trails look like where they run thru the fields.  11" of windblown fluff didn't do all that much, though far better than nothing.  As long as your westward solution doesn't wash away our limited snowcover, fine.

Archived