northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 13/14 VD Storm discussion

Bostonseminole

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting model diagnostic discussion re this system ...

...SYSTEM SWINGING THROUGH THE SOUTHERN TIER...PREFERENCE: BLEND OF 06Z GFS/00Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEANIN THE WAKE OF THE MIDWEST STORM...A LARGE SCALE TROUGH WILLREMAIN IN PLACE WITH ENERGY CONCENTRATED BACK TOWARD THE SOUTHWESTSTATES. THE BASE OF THE TROUGH WILL SWING EASTWARD...INDUCING ASURFACE LOW THAT THE GLOBAL MODELS TRACK FROM THE WESTERN GULFCOAST TO THE CAROLINAS. THE NAM HAS BEEN AT THE SLOWER EDGE OFGUIDANCE WITH THE UPPER TROUGH...AND THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE OFTHE 12Z NAM. IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE... HOWEVER...THAT THENAM/SREF ARE NOT ALONE IN PRODUCING A SLOWER SYSTEM. THEY HAVESUPPORT OF MULTIPLE RUNS OF THE CANADIAN MODEL AS WELL AS ANON-TRIVIAL NUMBER OF ECMWF AND CANADIAN ENSEMBLE MEMBERS. WITH A115 KNOT JET DIGGING SOUTHWARD THROUGH IDAHO THIS MORNING...ASOMEWHAT MORE CLOSED AND SLOWER UPPER LOW FORMING OVER THESOUTHWEST STATES IS AT LEAST PLAUSIBLE. IN FACT...THE 12Z GFSTRENDED SLOWER AS WELL...LEAVING ONLY THE 00Z UKMET AND ECMWF OUTAHEAD.

THAT is interesting...euro will be pretty huge right now.  If it slows down you almost have to think it is game on at least somewhat.

I think it would funny if the Euro completely blew this one, and the NAM nailed it... Then, on the next, the NAM and the Euro completely blew that one, but the GFS nailed it... and in between all of them, people are relying on the last model type that did the best - wah wah. 

Anyway,

...SYSTEM REASONING AND OVERALL PATTERN HIGHLIGHTS...

GUIDANCE OFFERS ABOVE NORMAL FORECAST SPREAD AND UNCERTAINTY WITH

LEAD SYSTEM TRACK AND INTENSITY OUT THROUGH THE SERN/ERN US

WED/THU RIGHT AT THE START OF THE MEDIUM RANGE FORECAST PERIOD. COORDINATION WITH HPC SHORT RANGE DESKS SUGGESTS THE ECMWF MAY BETOO FLAT WITH THE SUPPORTING IMPULSE ALOFT GIVEN INITIALSTRENGTH...BUT A RECENT CAMP OF GFS SOLUTIONS ON THE OTHER END OFTHE FORECAST SPECTRUM MAY BE SOMEWHAT OVERDONE GIVEN THE SYSTEM ISSHEARING EASTWARD IN RELATIVELY FLAT FLOW.  THIS MAY LIMITSUSBEQUENT NWD LIFT/STRONG DEEPENING AS A WRN ATLANTIC COASTAL LOWTHU.  A COMPROMISE LEANING SLIGHTLY HEAVIER ON DEVELOPMENT SEEMSIN ORDER PENDING 12 UTC MODEL GUIDANCE.  THIS SOLUTION FAVORSHEAVIER SE US CENTERED RAINS AND SOME WINTER SWATH ON THE NORTHSIDE OF THE PRECIPITATION SHIELD. 

THAT is interesting...euro will be pretty huge right now.  If it slows down you almost have to think it is game on at least somewhat.

I don't think it will though - I dunno.  Maybe.  

I just get the non-scientific creepy feeling that it will be stubbornly flat, again...  The GGEM is even flatter than the 00z run.   Neither may mean much, though, in lieu of NCEP's observation of 115kt mid level jet punching south over the Rockies cordillera.  If these runs are not seeing it (though it's questionable why that would be with their finite mesh) some correcting would take place in the future.

Doesn't make the NAM outright correct either.   Basically, the only thing certain is uncertainty.  

Interesting model diagnostic discussion re this system ...

...SYSTEM SWINGING THROUGH THE SOUTHERN TIER...PREFERENCE: BLEND OF 06Z GFS/00Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEANIN THE WAKE OF THE MIDWEST STORM...A LARGE SCALE TROUGH WILLREMAIN IN PLACE WITH ENERGY CONCENTRATED BACK TOWARD THE SOUTHWESTSTATES. THE BASE OF THE TROUGH WILL SWING EASTWARD...INDUCING ASURFACE LOW THAT THE GLOBAL MODELS TRACK FROM THE WESTERN GULFCOAST TO THE CAROLINAS. THE NAM HAS BEEN AT THE SLOWER EDGE OFGUIDANCE WITH THE UPPER TROUGH...AND THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE OFTHE 12Z NAM. IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE... HOWEVER...THAT THENAM/SREF ARE NOT ALONE IN PRODUCING A SLOWER SYSTEM. THEY HAVESUPPORT OF MULTIPLE RUNS OF THE CANADIAN MODEL AS WELL AS ANON-TRIVIAL NUMBER OF ECMWF AND CANADIAN ENSEMBLE MEMBERS. WITH A115 KNOT JET DIGGING SOUTHWARD THROUGH IDAHO THIS MORNING...ASOMEWHAT MORE CLOSED AND SLOWER UPPER LOW FORMING OVER THESOUTHWEST STATES IS AT LEAST PLAUSIBLE. IN FACT...THE 12Z GFSTRENDED SLOWER AS WELL...LEAVING ONLY THE 00Z UKMET AND ECMWF OUTAHEAD.

Not only would it be funny if the NAM wins, it wins with extrapolating from what beyond 84 shows. 

it appears the cold air en masse is attenuating some.  Even after tomorrow's temporary warm up, the CAA in the backside is much weaker than the cold waves of recent past.

Be that as it may, it does offer the 24 to 36 hour lead CAA into the NE that often precedes cyclone's passing through the area.

Fwiw, that DGEX model has quite the event from this thing... 

I highlighted a synoptic pattern back in 2011 February that looks quite similar. 2/2/11-2/6/11. To me it looks like a great analog just shifted southeast with the storm track. What do you think Tip?

I highlighted a synoptic pattern back in 2011 February that looks quite similar. 2/2/11-2/6/11. To me it looks like a great analog just shifted southeast with the storm track. What do you think Tip?

Just checked it out over at the NCEP library - yeah, I cannot say the two evolutions are altogether that different, spatially, but the 2011 era was a more amplified version.  

I was just noting the sfc pressure pattern is quite weak despite the appeal aloft.  The weakening temperature gradients in the lower levels is lowering the cyclogen potential below those dynamics...   

Archived