amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 13/14 VD Storm discussion

Bostonseminole

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I'm not sold on any event yet, it does have me interested. After narrowly missing out on history, I'm desperately rummaging through model runs in hope of salvation here. Extreme W MA, E NY, and much of VT missed out on the best forcing in this past storm.

Even though it is the NAM, extrapolating it beyond 84 hours could provide an interesting solution and the new GFS is closer, so maybe. The Euro may dash those hopes in a bit, but we'll see.

Unbelievable how whats his name on the East Slope is always just far enough east etc. to catch the heaviest snow. LOL Anyone west of the Berkshire spine got into the more mundane 8-12 inch snowfall the other day. The NAM gets some praise it seems in the bulls eye areas, but it was grossly overdone on qpf again fruther west.

This one has eastern NE written on it again probably.... so I'll go into it expecting very little and we manage a little to add to my x country ski trails then that's good.

Although I'm not sold on any event yet, it does have me interested. After narrowly missing out on history, I'm desperately rummaging through model runs in hope of salvation here. Extreme W MA, E NY, and much of VT missed out on the best forcing in this past storm.

Even though it is the NAM, extrapolating it beyond 84 hours could provide an interesting solution and the new GFS is closer, so maybe. The Euro may dash those hopes in a bit, but we'll see.

Unbelievable how whats his name on the East Slope is always just far enough east etc. to catch the heaviest snow. LOL Anyone west of the Berkshire spine got into the more mundane 8-12 inch snowfall the other day. The NAM gets some praise it seems in the bulls eye areas, but it was grossly overdone on qpf again fruther west.

This one has eastern NE written on it again probably.... so I'll go into it expecting very little and we manage a little to add to my x country ski trails then that's good.

Agreed.  But, things aren't even there yet.  If they start moving in that direciton, who knows where/when said trend might stop.  Still a couple days away.  Regardless of weather events, I refuse to cancel my rescheduled trip to Jackson next week.

it appears the cold air en masse is attenuating some.  Even after tomorrow's temporary warm up, the CAA in the backside is much weaker than the cold waves of recent past.

Be that as it may, it does offer the 24 to 36 hour lead CAA into the NE that often precedes cyclone's passing through the area.

Fwiw, that DGEX model has quite the event from this thing... 

Interesting model diagnostic discussion re this system ...

...SYSTEM SWINGING THROUGH THE SOUTHERN TIER...PREFERENCE: BLEND OF 06Z GFS/00Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEANIN THE WAKE OF THE MIDWEST STORM...A LARGE SCALE TROUGH WILLREMAIN IN PLACE WITH ENERGY CONCENTRATED BACK TOWARD THE SOUTHWESTSTATES. THE BASE OF THE TROUGH WILL SWING EASTWARD...INDUCING ASURFACE LOW THAT THE GLOBAL MODELS TRACK FROM THE WESTERN GULFCOAST TO THE CAROLINAS. THE NAM HAS BEEN AT THE SLOWER EDGE OFGUIDANCE WITH THE UPPER TROUGH...AND THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE OFTHE 12Z NAM. IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE... HOWEVER...THAT THENAM/SREF ARE NOT ALONE IN PRODUCING A SLOWER SYSTEM. THEY HAVESUPPORT OF MULTIPLE RUNS OF THE CANADIAN MODEL AS WELL AS ANON-TRIVIAL NUMBER OF ECMWF AND CANADIAN ENSEMBLE MEMBERS. WITH A115 KNOT JET DIGGING SOUTHWARD THROUGH IDAHO THIS MORNING...ASOMEWHAT MORE CLOSED AND SLOWER UPPER LOW FORMING OVER THESOUTHWEST STATES IS AT LEAST PLAUSIBLE. IN FACT...THE 12Z GFSTRENDED SLOWER AS WELL...LEAVING ONLY THE 00Z UKMET AND ECMWF OUTAHEAD.

I've been screwed badly this year as the storms are either too far east or west. 11/7, 12/29, and 2/8 were all just too far east for me too really cash in while 12/26 tainted. The other storms were cutters and rain. I feel like I'm living in W NY this winter, not W MA.

As of now, I think the VD threat is better for the mid Atlantic and south coast, but I've not given up on it yet. Latitude will probably count more than longitude this go around.

Archived