joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Observations

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well snow was short-lived. Pouring rain again here near AVL with temp of 36. Radar returns not doing what the RAP suggested, so I am thinking this may be a non-event for the valleys. Places north and east will do great. Congrats to those seeing snow! Otherwise it's just massive standing water everywhere around here...

We had 2 really good snow years, but looks like we are back to the pattern that existed before those 2 good years. I still have snow, but it's very light. Glad for my fellow NC, TN, VA people who are getting snow!

Well snow was short-lived. Pouring rain again here near AVL with temp of 36. Radar returns not doing what the RAP suggested, so I am thinking this may be a non-event for the valleys. Places north and east will do great. Congrats to those seeing snow! Otherwise it's just massive standing water everywhere around here...

The temps are so marginal.  It has been a back and forth mix here in W Avl.  I am sure it will transition back over to totally snow, but yes, this is a non-event.  Looks like the long streak of days without an inch of snow continues.

Waiting on it here in Earnhardtville.  KJQF still shows 43 degrees but the nearest wunderground station has it down to 39.  Steady fairly hard rain all afternoon and enough wind to knock over the neighbor's trash cans.

GSP is still saying 3-5" for us but shouldn't the temps have started to drop lower by now for Charlotte metro to get that much?

the warm ground thing is overrated.  its winter, sun angle is low this time of year regardless of how warm its been and now its dark out. Once it starts to melt and snow on top of it, it sticks.

I'm surprised at how well the snow is sticking.  It's really not even snowing that hard at the moment.

We had 2 really good snow years, but looks like we are back to the pattern that existed before those 2 good years. I still have snow, but it's very light. Glad for my fellow NC, TN, VA people who are getting snow!

Unfortunately for the AVL folks it looks like the deformation band jumped over the mountains, like it has often been known to do and is really becoming better established over the piedmont. For those in Upstate SC though, this is actually perhaps some good news and as the 850 hPa temps continue to crash down, there may be a meaningful period of snowfall across the higher elevations of the upstate (1000 ft and above). We'll have to see how things evolve since most areas in upstate SC still have temps in the low 40's. 

Holding out hope here 20 miles n of Sc in Rutherford county !

Unfortunately for the AVL folks it looks like the deformation band jumped over the mountains, like it has often been known to do and is really becoming better established over the piedmont. For those in Upstate SC though, this is actually perhaps some good news and as the 850 hPa temps continue to crash down, there may be a meaningful period of snowfall across the higher elevations of the upstate (1000 ft and above). We'll have to see how things evolve since most areas in upstate SC still have temps in the low 40's.

Archived