joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Observations

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to say but I told you guys this wasn't going to affect many of us. I know that sounds terrible but I took some flak for my comments and in the end am pleased I didn't get carried away like many on here. The only comment I regret was saying that this wasn't a threat but the rest of my comments were fairly accurate. Even when I said it wasn't a threat I prefaced it with for most of us. I even pointed out that the border area of nc and mountains of nc/tn had a chance.

Marginal was the problem but I will admit if a deformation band had setup like march 09 this would have been a good event. The ULL wasn't strong/deep enough in the end, a key point of mine of why I wasn't gung ho. There was quite a bit of march 09 thrown around and if I remember it correctly that was a five contour bowling ball ULL. This wasn't close to that deep.

Sorry to rub salt in fresh wounds but it is what it is.

Sorry to say but I told you guys this wasn't going to affect many of us. 

I guess it depends on how you define many. It affected a lot of us esp. the triad region to the mountains. I had sort through over 300 closings and delays Friday to find what I was looking for. 

I realize the biggest cities will have the extra posters and they did certainly receive the screw. (Raleigh to Charlotte) = (Brick to Burger)

I guess it depends on how you define many. It affected a lot of us esp. the triad region to the mountains. I had sort through over 300 closings and delays Friday to find what I was looking for.

I realize the biggest cities will have the extra posters and they did certainly receive the screw. (Raleigh to Charlotte) = (Brick to Burger)

Yeah, it wasn't a bust here. It wasn't exactly a blockbuster, either, but you can't really complain about 3"+ of snow in the South.

I see KGSO got 3.0" while someone in Greensboro proper got 3.3" (KGSO is actually not in Greensboro at all and is almost in Forsyth County) and someone in High Point reported 3.1", so my measurement of 3.5" looks reasonable, though it may have been a few tenths too high. My measurement was not too precise. I didn't roll out a snowboard for this one.

I did get to make a snowman with the snow today. I haven't made one in years. It seems like the snow usually tends to be too dry or we just don't have enough of it to make snowmen, but today was an exception. :)

i got 4.2 here in NW Guilford County ... and the Triad metro area is pushing 1.6 million people .. sooo ... just cause our name doesnt start with 'Raleigh or Charlotte' doenst mean a lot of peeps didnt see some snow on the ground ... it was nice to be in the 'bullseye' for once ... and i am happy!  .... hope to post a couple pics tomorrow ... regards

i got 4.2 here in NW Guilford County ... and the Triad metro area is pushing 1.6 million people .. sooo ... just cause our name doesnt start with 'Raleigh or Charlotte' doenst mean a lot of peeps didnt see some snow on the ground ... it was nice to be in the 'bullseye' for once ... and i am happy!  .... hope to post a couple pics tomorrow ... regards

happy for u but us in asheville had a big let down.  maybe the next storm we can all get in on the snow totals.  at one time we were 3-6 and we didn't even see a flake in the west asheville area.  congrats to u though

Unknown to most on our board, parts of our area in the NC High Country experienced significant power line damage from Thursdays heavy wet snow that brought down trees particularly in Ashe County:

Linemen made much progress today on system repairs to restore power and continue work for the final 500 members of Blue Ridge Electric Membership Corporation without power as of 4 p.m. All remaining outages are in Ashe County, which was the hardest hit area during the storm, and linemen are continuing restoration efforts this afternoon and evening.

At the height of the storm Thursday night, 9,000 Blue Ridge Electric members were without power after heavy wet snow weighted down trees and power lines, causing extensive damage to the electric system. Conditions were compounded by days of heavy rains, which loosened tree roots and led to large trees outside the cooperative’s rights-of-way to fall onto power lines. Today alone, nearly 1,000 damaged locations require repair in order to get power to the 1,500 members who remained without power this morning.

Blue Ridge Electric has been assisted by crews from Rutherford EMC, Union Power, French Broad EMC, York Electric, Haywood EMC, EnergyUnited, and Sumter, Pike and Carter utility contract crews.

If members have an outage they haven’t reported, they should call the cooperative’s PowerLine at 1-800-448-2383.

The cooperative warns the public that downed power lines can still be energized and therefore dangerous or even deadly! Stay far away from downed power lines and report them immediately to the cooperative.

An online “Outage Map” is available to check outage status at any time at www.BlueRidgeEMC.com. Information is also available on the cooperative’s Facebook and Twitter sites: www.facebook.com/blueridgeemc and www.twitter.com/blueridgeemc.

Thousands still w/out power in SW VA.  E TN still has a few in Sullivan and Hawkins.  Oddly, we lost it yesterday afternoon for 3-4 hours.  Went to a local outdoor store this AM and AEP Power trucks were just getting back(presumably after working all night).  While not the worst power outage I've seen by a long shot, losing power during winter is a pain.  We used our kerosene heater which is a great alternative heating source as long as you crack a window.

Archived